Spare part Dealer for Giant LaFree eBike 2005

The-MIB

Just Joined
Sep 11, 2015
Hi, I´m from Germany and I searched the whole internet for a Dealer of spare parts for a Giant LaFree bike.
This bike has a problem with the sensor what detect if I use the pedals (left side from the motor). On the cable of this part is a lable with TTTTT. Can anyone help me to find a spare part for this? Else I need to know which magnet sensor I have to buy that I can exchange the sensor? Many thanks!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I can only think you mean a very old Giant LaFree from the 1999 to 2001 period, since the Panasonic powered LaFree from then on doesn't have an external pedal sensor. If one of those very old e-bikes, they were not popular so I doubt any dealer ever stocked spares for them. You could contact Giant's HQ in The Netherlands to see if they can help, here's the link.

Last edited:
Reactions: The-MIB

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, that is the old SLA batteried one from the period I mentioned. They were made in three versions, yours is the Sport model. Giant will be the only hope for a spare part and I don't know what pedelec sensor and magnet were used on those since I've never been "hands-on" with one.

If they cannot help with a spare, maybe Giant will have a copy of the technical service manual to enable an alternative to be specified.

Reactions: The-MIB

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Sketchy service manual - with thanks to Dennis Cartwright of :

https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/lafreeowner/conversations/messages?messageStartId=113&archiveSearch=true

Lafree Sport service manual link:

https://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/13769939/1924647869/name/LaFree+Sport+Service+Manual+(Complete).pdf

Lafree Sport user manual link:

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/saving-a-giant-lafree.15011/#post-186455

He mentioned in one of his threads to check that the tiny magnets which activate the torque sensor on the internal fork have not come off- his had and he had to glue them back on.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

In case you can't find the right spare part, your bike might still work with a throttle. Does it have a throttle on the handlebars? If so how does it work? Does it only give power when you're pedalling?

The torque sensor is probably a 5v device. You can check by measuring the voltage between the black and red wires when it's switched on. If it is 5v, it might work by attaching a normal throttle directly to it, or you could attach a 10k potentiometer to provide a torque signal, then use the throttle, if that's how it works.

The-MIB

Just Joined
Sep 11, 2015
Hi all. I like to tell you that I could fix the problem. I write you a feedback for other users what has the same problem. I couldn't order a original spare part, because it does not exist any more (email from the manufacturer). I could open the part and install a magnet sensor. I used a "SS496 HALL Sensor Magnet Sensor/Magnetic sensor Linear". Now the bike works fine again!
BR.