Speed and other cyclists

aroncox

Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2006
How do you feel your speed compares to other cyclists?

Now I am de-limited I am faster than the majority of cyclists, but still get overtaken by the odd racing bike (I was amazed yesterday to be overtaken by a folding bike that was zooming along, I don't know how they can get those small wheels turning so fast). Before de-limiting I felt around average, or even a little slower.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
I was easily passed by a couple of racers on my previous electric bike but i'm not so sure now with the Torq. Quite often i'm hitting 24mph for extended periods on the straights when the weather is calm.

One chap recently saw me from quite a way ahead and pedalled furiously to outpace me but I caught him up and overtook him quite easily within a mile or so. As I passed I did slow down and we had quite a long chat afterwards. He'd remembered me from the morning commute when I flew past him up a slight hill. As a club cyclist he was amazed to be passed by a commuter with panniers etc! We had a laugh and I think it put him at ease when he learnt the bike was electric :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My experiences are similar, occasionally passed by keen club riders, but often the reverse when they've been tackling a prolonged slight slope and are getting drained. I also cruise at around 23/24 mph when I'm on one of my few flat stretches, but spend most of my time either at around 16/17 mph uphill or betwwen 28 and 40+ downhill. Question for geologists. Why do hills get steeper as one gets older?:rolleyes:

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Another question :
...why are some routes uphill both ways ? LOL

...Mike

wibble

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2008
I sometimes get passed by the racer bikes on the flat and they often whooosh past me going downhill. But I always catch them up again on the long uphills.

I usually hold back so I don't have to apologize when passing them. :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Another question :
...why are some routes uphill both ways ? LOL

...Mike
That has a similar answer to the way geology and meteorology change over time, i.e. with each passing decade hills get a bit steeper and longer, rain gets wetter, winds become stronger and the cold becomes more intense.

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Yeah, and why is it that there's a headwind both going AND coming back? So unfair!
This is actually a well known effect. There really are more headwinds than tailwinds.

Suppose for instance there is a 10 mph wind from the west and you make a journey to the north and back again with a road speed of 10 mph. On the way up the wind and your velocity combine to make it appear the wind is from the north-west at 14 mph. Ie, a headwind.

On the way back, the wind appears to be from the south-west at 14 mph. Again, a headwind.

You can't win.

Nick

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
I was easily passed by a couple of racers on my previous electric bike but i'm not so sure now with the Torq. Quite often i'm hitting 24mph for extended periods on the straights when the weather is calm.

One chap recently saw me from quite a way ahead and pedalled furiously to outpace me but I caught him up and overtook him quite easily within a mile or so. As I passed I did slow down and we had quite a long chat afterwards. He'd remembered me from the morning commute when I flew past him up a slight hill. As a club cyclist he was amazed to be passed by a commuter with panniers etc! We had a laugh and I think it put him at ease when he learnt the bike was electric :D
Are you still in and around Cambridge, Russ? There was cyclist, heavy build with calves the size of beer barrels, who i could never beat on a derestricted Torq - I encountered him on the route up to Waterbeach along the Cam and out on the other side towards Coton and Barton. Must have been incredibly fit and strong to keep up that pace for mile after mile.

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
16.6mph is my usual top speed here in hilly Cornwall - that's the speed where the motor cuts in and out.
Impossible to pedal over this unless going down hill.
Going down hill I have to stop pedalling at 18.6mph, as my legs are going so fast I start to cause sever wind turbulence to the other road users who overtake me.
I do overtake ordinary bicycles but rarely on the flat :eek:

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9
Depending on my route I average about 16-17 mph on my Wisper. Very hilly area, so downhill governed more by how fast you are prepared to go before "bottling out" (40mph is very un nerving when you are approaching a blind bend on a steep single lane hill, with Granite Cornish hedges either side :eek: ).
Up some of the steeper lanes I'm lucky to maintain 8 mph even with full assistance from the motor. Gentle inclines, 15mph, easily.
What's flat (I know of it in tyres :D )?.

Phil

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Oh f*** it, guys! What am I doing in this forum with my measly 17 kmh as average speed....on flats?
LOL. Depressing isn't it. :(

You're in good company. The average on my cycle computer is only about 11 mph. That's because I have to stop and slow down far too often. I only get the good speeds downhill :D .

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Oh f*** it, guys! What am I doing in this forum with my measly 17 kmh as average speed....on flats?
Cheer up Poppy. My average on the Giant Lafree Twist through four years was 12 mph (19 kph) solo, less when towing.

That was Panasonic motored like yours, and also in a hilly area, so there's not much difference. Probably most of the difference is that I let my bikes have their head when downhill, anything up to 45 mph (72 kph) at times.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Cheer up Poppy. My average on the Giant Lafree Twist through four years was 12 mph (19 kph) solo, less when towing.

That was Panasonic motored like yours, and also in a hilly area, so there's not much difference. Probably most of the difference is that I let my bikes have their head when downhill, anything up to 45 mph (72 kph) at times.
45 mph!:eek:

That would scare the s*&t out of me.

I haven't overtaken anyone yet except a mobilty scooter - it was doing 8mph.

Undertaken plenty of fast cars while joyfully whizzing down the cycle lane at 8:30am. They're only averaging about 8mph!:)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
45 mph!:eek:

That would scare the s*&t out of me.

I haven't overtaken anyone yet except a mobilty scooter - it was doing 8mph.

Undertaken plenty of fast cars while joyfully whizzing down the cycle lane at 8:30am. They're only averaging about 8mph!:)
Sounds fast, but its nothing compared with what the recumbent guys can do. The fastest recumbent trikes can hit 75 mph (120 kph) downhill on the road.

Laying down and feet first, now that's scary. :eek:

poppy

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Covas, Ferrol. La Coruña. Spain

If it isn´t too personal a question, would you mind telling me if your wife/siblings/children know of this stuff of letting the bike have its head downhill and so reaching such speeds?
Not having your years of cycling, and after my foolish crash I never let myself over 30 kmh...

poppy

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Covas, Ferrol. La Coruña. Spain
LOL. Depressing isn't it. :(

You're in good company. The average on my cycle computer is only about 11 mph. That's because I have to stop and slow down far too often. I only get the good speeds downhill :D .
Given that I am a lousy biker (my son says I am a crash waiting to happen) and having no pressing business to take care of (happily early retired) I am not concerned with speed.N owadays my worries concern dogs. With the tourist season over, they tend to get freed. In two weeks I´ve had a scare and a bite. I´m beginning to restrict myself to routes with traffic. Which poses the question of what´s more dangerous...

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Given that I am a lousy biker (my son says I am a crash waiting to happen) and having no pressing business to take care of (happily early retired) I am not concerned with speed.N owadays my worries concern dogs. With the tourist season over, they tend to get freed. In two weeks I´ve had a scare and a bite. I´m beginning to restrict myself to routes with traffic. Which poses the question of what´s more dangerous...
An air zound may be of help with the dogs, it's 120dBs should upset a few dogs if they get too close. It unclips very quickly so you could grab it and point it towards the offending mutt.

I use it to get the attention of truck drivers and it works very well, the only people that don't seem to hear it are pedestrians. :rolleyes:

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Given the choice between being bitten by a dog and run over by a lorry, I'll take the dog any day of the week, as long as it doesn't have rabies!!