Speed and other cyclists

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The UK road speed limits are all in motor vehicle legislation that also requires motor vehicles to have speedometers, so bikes are ruled out on both counts.

A police officer has various offences open to his judgement though, such as dangerous riding, so prosecution is still possible with magistrates court rubber stamping of the PCs opinion likely. So wariness is still advisable.

Bye-laws can apply to places like parks, and there are many locations with advisory speed limit signs such as 5 mph which have no force in law. Once again though, in the event of an accident, ignoring such advisory signs could lead to legal consequences with courts accepting opinions of actual speed from witnesses.

In fairness, with 4 mph being a fast walk, virtually anyone is able to determine that someone is travelling at appreciably above 5 mph, so witness evidence is good enough.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Are you still in and around Cambridge, Russ? There was cyclist, heavy build with calves the size of beer barrels, who i could never beat on a derestricted Torq - I encountered him on the route up to Waterbeach along the Cam and out on the other side towards Coton and Barton. Must have been incredibly fit and strong to keep up that pace for mile after mile.
Sorry Tim, I failed to spot your post. Yes, although closer to Newmarket now. Being a bit more rural I have yet to meet anyone on an electric bike, but there are lots of commuters on normal bikes.

tenderbehind

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2008
I love to see an 'ordinary' cyclist ahead of me, can't wait to pass him or her, using throttle only of course to heighten the effect of 'superiority'. (Probably wrong word but you know what I mean).