speed limited controller or display?

Dominic Coleman

Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Hi I have and e-mobility device http://en.klaxon-klick.com/klick-electric-race-tetra/ with a Hailong Battery with this KT controller http://www.szktdz.com/en/news_show.php?article_id=587
and KT LCD3 display. The display will not allow me to change max speed above 16kmh (10mph). It is limited by manufacturer. I want to de-limit the controller so I can get more speed out of the 1000w motor to use on private land only (no legal speed requirements). Can you tell me if the restriction is with the display or the controller? Then I can replace whichever part for new, hopefully then unrestricted?! Many thanks, Dom

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One thing of note was the 14" hub wheel size may be a limiting factor. Motor winding speed may be useful to know, the small size is likely high torque and likely a major factor along with the integrated battery controller/lcd combo.
The Keunteng controller and lcd may both be programmed to comply with mobility legislation on speed and as such is a custom option offered by Keunteng to OEM customers.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
If you have a throttle, you can test the speed with the LCD disconnected. To switch on and operate the controller without the LCD, you bridge the red and blue wires, which will switch it on, and the two wires that aren't red, blue or black (normally green, yellow or white), which gives the controller the communication to operate. Just to make it clear, that's two separate bridges, not all four bridged together.

Dominic Coleman

Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
If you have a throttle, you can test the speed with the LCD disconnected. To switch on and operate the controller without the LCD, you bridge the red and blue wires, which will switch it on, and the two wires that aren't red, blue or black (normally green, yellow or white), which gives the controller the communication to operate. Just to make it clear, that's two separate bridges, not all four bridged together.
Many thanks for your reply, but that method is way more technologically advanced above my abilities!

harrys

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2016
Chicago, USA
I would think that the motor control features which allow a KT controller to do fine movements needed for a wheelchair are mainly in the controller. In the ebike world, there is a speed limit override available in the first user programmable screens on an LCD3. I bet your LCD3 is locked out to prevent that access.

In addition,controllers can be programmed only to work with certain LCD3's , so it's highly likely that the first thing they would do, to prevent plugging in an unlocked LCD3. First thing I would do anyway as a programmer. Make the customer buy mine as a replacement. And make sure he cannot change the parameters. In a standard LCD3, there are a number of performance items one could change besides speed limit that would surely affect how the Klaxon runs.

If one were bound and determined to go faster, one could replace both the controller/LCD3, but then he might spend fruitless hours trying to make it go slow again, and he wouldn't have the reverse function.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If Dom wants to try unlocking then a bout £75 - £100 for anew controller and LCD3, firstly though you need to find the correct integrated controller to fit your battery.
It looks like a Hailong style battery Top bike kit sell a couple of KT controllers for that style.

Dominic Coleman

Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
If Dom wants to try unlocking then a bout £75 - £100 for anew controller and LCD3, firstly though you need to find the correct integrated controller to fit your battery.
It looks like a Hailong style battery Top bike kit sell a couple of KT controllers for that style.
Thx again Neal. I just received a new display to see if it is just the display first. If that seems not to be the issue then a new controller from Topbikekit is next solution! Hopefully this may free the issue and unleash the beast!

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Thx again Neal. I just received a new display to see if it is just the display first. If that seems not to be the issue then a new controller from Topbikekit is next solution! Hopefully this may free the issue and unleash the beast!
So, did the replacement LCD display allow you to raise the speed limit?