speed sensor and throttle issue - Bafang 001

Martin Rogers

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 7, 2018
Clacton on sea Essex UK
Hi, I have just completed installation of the Bafang BBS 001 with DPC 14 display, on to my 15 + year old Carera Fury MTB.
All works very well except the display will not indicate speed or distance ( the red led doesn't flash on the sensor - magnet set to 2mm from surface ). Also the throttle control does nothing.
Brake and gear shift detection work fine.
Any set up I might be missing or ideas whats occouring?

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Perhaps you need to swap over the pedal sensor connection with the throttle connection at the controller, but I'm no expert and the connectors may not be the same.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Check you have the magnet lined up with the cross on the sensor and recheck all of your connectors for bent or damaged pins.. There have been reports on some newer BBS drives that the throttle won't work when you are pedalling, so check it with the bike stationary and the rear wheel lifted off the ground. You may have a DOA throttle, it has been known, but is not that common.

Martin Rogers

Apr 7, 2018
Clacton on sea Essex UK
Check you have the magnet lined up with the cross on the sensor and recheck all of your connectors for bent or damaged pins.. There have been reports on some newer BBS drives that the throttle won't work when you are pedalling, so check it with the bike stationary and the rear wheel lifted off the ground. You may have a DOA throttle, it has been known, but is not that common.
All pins good and in correct plug socket pairing. Magnet in line with target on sensor.
Throttle does not work with wheel lifted and no pedal action. Walk facility works ok by pressing minus button

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon

Martin Rogers

Apr 7, 2018
Clacton on sea Essex UK
I'm assuming this is a new kit. Very unlikely you have 2 non working/broken components, but it's possible. This only really leaves a problem with the controller or the settings have been set incorrectly by the seller. These can be checked with a programming cable and a windows laptop/pc. Have you contacted the seller?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bafang-8Fun-Programming-USB-to-TTL-Cable-Lead-for-BBS01-BBS02-BBSHD/272703353800
Yes o
I'm assuming this is a new kit. Very unlikely you have 2 non working/broken components, but it's possible. This only really leaves a problem with the controller or the settings have been set incorrectly by the seller. These can be checked with a programming cable and a windows laptop/pc. Have you contacted the seller?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bafang-8Fun-Programming-USB-to-TTL-Cable-Lead-for-BBS01-BBS02-BBSHD/272703353800
The kit was purchased November 2017 but only just got to finish the job.
I haven’t yet contacted the supplier Eclipse Bikes ... I’ll email them now

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Great, at least you have a reseller in this country to help you solve your problems:) Hope they can help get it sorted for you.

Martin Rogers

Apr 7, 2018
Clacton on sea Essex UK
.... I agree seems strange that two items faulty.
The cable diagnostic tool is a consideration and will I guess indicate to me if the sensor and or throttle are okay or the issue is with controller.
However not so good if controller deliver / factory setting
Great, at least you have a reseller in this country to help you solve your problems:) Hope they can help get it sorted for you.
Yes, I purchased through Eclipse as they were the only uk suppler at the time, I could find that had the unit with gearshift detect...
I’ll update this thread when I get it sorted

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Disconnect any brake sensing and try throttle again.
Speed sensor usually gap sensitive various gaps up to 5 or 6mm and correct orientation of spoke magnet.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
With 8Fun BBS brake sensors are very often the cause of issues with drive, they can be very sensitive with magnet proximity to work correctly.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Brake sensors can be a pain in the ar*e but are in my view necessary in preventing controller damage if a throttle is installed.

Martin Rogers

Apr 7, 2018
Clacton on sea Essex UK
With 8Fun BBS brake sensors are very often the cause of issues with drive, they can be very sensitive with magnet proximity to work correctly.
Amazing... thank you I can work on this now.
Background :-
Couldn’t find a way of positioning the mag switch so travel of lever moved magnet in a way to switch the symbol.
So made up small brackets with microswitchs - as regards switching of motor and indicating on the display works perfectly.
However somehow this causes problems as discribed.
Disconnecting my micro switch brake system then all is good,
I need to look at why the micro switch wiring does this.
A schematic of the brake circuit would help, if such a thing exists?

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
A schematic of the brake circuit would help, if such a thing exists?
the brake sensor is just a Hall sensor, similar to SS41. One leg is connected to 5V, middle one to ground, the third leg to the sensor wire.