Speed

jasono

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Hi, wondered what comfortable cruising speeds people are reaching on their ebikes

I don't mean red faced flat out, or downhill with the wind behind you, but when you are out and about what speed do you tend to see on the speedo

I tend to find, hills aside, my BH Emotion seems to roll along very nicely at 17-19 mph

Last edited:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
I find I tend to ride at a steady 16/17 mph.

Lynda :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
About 16 to 18 mph on full size bikes, a bit more like 15 to 16 on my folder.

clckn2000

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 24, 2010
Cheshire
Hi, wondered what comfortable cruising speeds people are reaching on their ebikes

I don't mean red faced flat out, or downhill with the wind behind you, but when you are out and about what speed do you tend to see on the speedo

I tend to find, hills aside, my BH Emotion seems to roll along very nicely at 17-19 mph
-------------
It's quite hilly in this part of Cheshire so down to 5 or 6 mph is regular. However when rolling along fairly level lanes, the speed keeps to about 17 mph. The rolling average normally is about 14 mph but as soon as I go out with the young grandchildren it drops dramatically to about 8.
On long journeys I try and keep the bike above the cut off speed of the controller for as long as possible, which increases distance and hopefully keeps me fitter.
Bike is a 30 month old Cyclamatic Power Cycle. The battery is on it's last legs now giving me about10 miles. I've ridden about 3,000 mile on the bike.
A new one will be ordered when they become available. This seems to be taking some time, but that's another issue.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
On the flat with no wind my bike will sit at 16/17mph with little effort. 18 if I try. No doubt the bike could go faster it's the rider who is the weak link in the equation. Mind you, on the flat with no wind it will still do 15 with me doing no work. :) Does that mean I'm only putting in 1 or 2 MPH?

On a more serious note though. My Garmin tracks me everytime I go out and so far I've always managed an average speed of 14 to 16 mph. Which means that even when I'm tired the bike doesn't go much slower.

jasono

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Thanks for the replies. I've found that with my ebike my average is 2-4 mph higher than on my standard bike and as has been mentioned my average speed doesn't change that much when I'm tired, whereas it can tail off on the non assisted bike

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
I'm doing around 20 - 22 with a 14t motor sprocket on my Kalkhoff. It's dead good and doesn't seem to hammer the (2.5 year-old) battery too much, yet anyway.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Normally, comfortable cruising speed was around 19mph with a 48t /14 . Yesterday I found I was able to sit for a fair distance at 26mph totally maxed pedalling without any great strain - the summer cruising has helped my legs a bit.
When I had a 52t chainwheel, the comfortable speed was 22 to 25mph; if I refit that, I expect yesterday's effect to be increased. Unfortunately, the 52t disallows the front derailleur, so chain shedding is a problem.

jasono

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Hugh and Scimitar you are powering along there! What bike have you got Scimitar?

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011

25mph on my Tongxin hubbed Trex FX 7.5 @ 63volts, depending on the wind.

Last edited:

piotrmacheta

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2009
Generally 20 to 22mph on my trike with ezee 20" at about 51v on a flat with about 12mph up hills. Enough to make it interesting.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Gosh Flecc your folder is fast , my Batribike cruises at 10 mph on medium assist and to keep up 15 mph I`d have to be on maximum assist and pedalling so fast everything would be hurting !
!

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
17-18 mph when bowling along the flat on my full-sized bike, but an average of about 15 mph over a longer trip (say 1½- 2 hours).
Less on the folder, because the gearing doesn't let me keep up with the motor at full throttle, so an average of about 12 mph.

Marmotte

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 30, 2012
Ireland
I haven't had the time to attach a speedo/computer to my new bike as yet but I would actually like to know what speeds I'm reaching over my 20km city commute. But I find in general that I go 'fast' and sometimes even 'very fast', I would probably do a lot more of the 'very fast' if it weren't for the pot holed roads and traffic lights!!

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
If you have the right kind of phone for app try mapmyride to allow you to record and review your rides.

Think allows upload from gps as well

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Gosh Flecc your folder is fast , my Batribike cruises at 10 mph on medium assist and to keep up 15 mph I`d have to be on maximum assist and pedalling so fast everything would be hurting !
!
It's based on the earlier very powerful (1000 watts peak) eZee Quando which powers to 17+ mph when fully charged, dropping to about 16 mph. In standard trim its a single speed e-bike, but I did a major conversion to make it a universal derailleur geared bike. Details here

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
On the flat with no wind 20-22,average over last 4800 miles is 15.5mph with over 200,000 ft of climbing

Last edited:

aseb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2009
I generally average around 15mph because it's the limit but the bike will go 30mph easily. Upgraded to get up the hills without pedalling because of my medical problems. That's at 36 Volt 30 Amp (80A phase current).
I can connect 2 batteries in series to get 72V and something over 40mph by upping the the controller to 40A (peak performance at 72V /65A is about 45mph).
I've not tried all 3 batteries in series (108V)- even 36V gives all of the performance I need. The controller is programmable and covers 36V to 110V and up to 65A (beyond if I beef up some of the solder tracks) but I didn't get it to be a racer, just capable of travel without any added assistance whenever needed and 36V/30A gets me up any hills and against any headwinds I've come across.