Speeding... Guardian article

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
They have since given a target of 2016 for the introduction of the EU style new UK law, dispensing with the need for the waiver.

Now published as (EU) No 168/2013 is this what the DfT are waiting for?

See Resources tab on the top toolbar for free download link or alternatively go to:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vca//vehicletype/revised-framework-directive-motorcycles.asp

where you can purchase a copy:rolleyes:

Relevant to us:

Article 2

Scope

1. This Regulation shall apply to all two- or three-wheel vehicles and quadricycles as categorised in Article 4 and Annex I (‘L-category vehicles’), that are intended to travel on public roads, including those designed and constructed in one or more stages, and to systems, components and separate technical units, as well as parts and equipment, designed and constructed for such vehicles.

This Regulation also applies to enduro motorcycles (L3e-AxE (x = 1, 2 or 3)), trial motorcycles (L3e-AxT (x = 1, 2 or 3)) and heavy all terrain quads (L7e-B) as categorised in Article 4 and Annex I.

2. This Regulation does not apply to the following vehicles:

(a)

vehicles with a maximum design speed not exceeding 6 km/h;

(b)

vehicles exclusively intended for use by the physically handicapped;

(c)

vehicles exclusively intended for pedestrian control;

(d)

vehicles exclusively intended for use in competition;

(e)

vehicles designed and constructed for use by the armed services, civil defence, fire services, forces responsible for maintaining public order and emergency medical services;

(f)

agricultural or forestry vehicles subject to Regulation (EU) No 167/2013 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 5 February 2013 on the approval and market surveillance of agricultural and forestry vehicles (22), machines subject to Directive 97/68/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 16 December 1997 on the approximation of the laws of the Member States relating to measures against the emission of gaseous and particulate pollutants from internal combustion engines to be installed in non-road mobile machinery (23) and Directive 2006/42/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 17 May 2006 on machinery (24) and motor vehicles subject to Directive 2007/46/EC;

(g)

vehicles primarily intended for off-road use and designed to travel on unpaved surfaces;

(h)

pedal cycles with pedal assistance which are equipped with an auxiliary electric motor having a maximum continuous rated power of less than or equal to 250 W, where the output of the motor is cut off when the cyclist stops pedalling and is otherwise progressively reduced and finally cut off before the vehicle speed reaches 25 km/h;

(i)

self-balancing vehicles;

(j)

vehicles not equipped with at least one seating position;

(k)

vehicles equipped with any seating position of the driver or rider having an R-point height ≤ 540 mm in case of categories L1e, L3e and L4e or ≤ 400 mm in case of categories L2e, L5e, L6e and L7e.

and under section - definitions

(35)

‘maximum continuous rated power’ means the maximum thirty minutes power at the output shaft of an electric engine as set out in UNECE regulation No 85;

also under the COMMISSION DIRECTIVE 2013/60/EU:

Article 5

1. Member States shall bring into force the laws, regulations and administrative provisions necessary to comply with this Directive by 30 June 2014 at the latest. They shall communicate to the Commission the relevant text of those provisions forthwith.

When Member States adopt such measures, these shall contain a reference to this Directive or be accompanied by such a reference on their official publication. Member States shall determine how such a reference is to be made.

2. Member States shall communicate to the Commission the text of the main provisions of national law which they adopt in the field covered by this Directive.

Article 6

This Directive shall enter into force on the day following that of its publication in the Official Journal of the European Union.

Article 7

This Directive is addressed to the Member States.

Done at Brussels, 27 November 2013.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Now published as (EU) No 168/2013 is this what the DfT are waiting for?
No, that is still just the type approval legislation that I've already quoted as being 2002/EC/24 when it was passed into law. The EU has been doing a tidying up of that to include the later amendments, republishing it under the new 2013 number.

Although that dealt with some of the delaying issues I mentioned, it didn't cover the EU parliament recommendation, though that has since been rejected by the European Commission. I understand the earliest that our changes can be fitted onto the DfT's schedule is 2016 now.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the way I see it:
1. If your bike has EN15194, you have nothing to worry about
2. 500W and above have no chance of getting EN15194. Whoever tries to sell you one of those, ask to see their EN15194.
3. The chance of being stopped by the Police is very small, but grows quicky with more wattage over 250W.
4. If stopped by the Police, they will have a problem finding some legislation to charge you with other than being in control of a vehicle while drunk, speeding and riding dangerously.

D

Deleted member 4366

HA!
Cheers mate... always the informative one is you.

Just a thought... Can I drink it unencumbered?
;)
Are you sure his information is accurate? Do they still sell pints of milk in the supermarket. I thought they went at the same time as bent bananas.

PhilX

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2012
Seaford East Sussex
Obviously this is not correct since EC/81/82/83/999 when 568ml became the order of the day.
In a forum where some members have the need to go bigger and to intercept the inevitable a 1136ml is available but I'm guessing this will be for off road drinking only.
Doubt they'll be a waiver on this.
Phil

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Are you sure his information is accurate? Do they still sell pints of milk in the supermarket. I thought they went at the same time as bent bananas.
The actual volume in the milk bottle is irrelevant. EN15194 is only concerned with the milks flow multiplied by its pressure.;)

Reactions: PhilX

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
Further to the post by trex above.

NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT.

If your motor is 250 Watts or less, you have nothing to worry about.
If your motor exceeds 250 Watts, you have only two things to worry about.

Whether you get stopped by the Police or not. If you don`t get stopped, you have only two things to worry about, whether you have an accident or not.

It you don`t have an accident you have nothing to worry about. If you have an accident, you only have two things to worry about, whether you live or whether you die. If you live, you have nothing to worry about.

If you die, you have only two things to worry about. Whether you go to heaven or to hell. If you go to heaven, you have nothing to worry about.

If you go to hell, you will be so busy shaking hands with your old pals, you won`t have time to worry.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No, the UK have stubbornly stuck to pints measures, even in the larger sizes. The 2 pint container marked as containing 1.136 litres for example. I think this was originally due to the continuing use of the one pint glass milk bottles for a long time.

Very different from weights, where the government bullied greengrocers and the like into metric compliance, even to the extent of fines and confiscating imperial weights and scales.

They can't do anything about our chains though, locked to 1/2 inch pitch etc.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
HA!
Cheers mate... always the informative one is you.

Just a thought... Can I drink it unencumbered?
;)
Yes, unencumbered, unencucumbered, or unenchanted, guzzle away, but just watch the BMI.

D

Deleted member 4366

No, the UK have stubbornly stuck to pints measures, even in the larger sizes. The 2 pint container marked as containing 1.136 litres for example. I think this was originally due to the continuing use of the one pint glass milk bottles for a long time.

Very different from weights, where the government bullied greengrocers and the like into metric compliance, even to the extent of fines and confiscating imperial weights and scales.

They can't do anything about our chains though, locked to 1/2 inch pitch etc.
Thanks. That's cheered me up. I've just put on "God save the Queen", and I stood up and saluted to her picture on my wall the whole way through,

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You'd have been better going down the local to salute, where it's the pint that still reigns supreme