speeding

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
any derestricted torqs will need to be careful here,will this help the sale of ebikes or make no difference.

mike

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
I can't really see it making any difference Mike. we have a number of 20 mph zones in Leicester and they don't make any difference to anything, not least the speed at which people drive. I feel safer on traffic calmed roads, regardless of whether its a 20 or 30 limit, however the Portsmouth article states that the limit is expected to be "self enforcing" and traffic calming measures are not expected to be needed... dream on I think:rolleyes:

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Nigel

Hi mike i also dont think it will make any difference i am sure local householders wont be to concerned if any cyclist or electric bike is seen to be going over 20mph this would be aimed at cars and rightly so.:D NIGEL

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
20 mph speed limits

I'm not advocating cycling at high speeds in areas busy with pedestrians or otherwise unsafe to do so. However I think speed limits only apply to motorised vehicles. They don't apply to bicycles, and hence by definition to electric bikes (nor to horses, horse drawn vehicles or even very fast runners, etc). Ths same applies to drink driving laws, where the law is 'drunk in charge of a motor vehicle.'
I haven't looked this up to check, but this is what I have always understood - please tell me if I am wrong!

Frank

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's correct Frank. All UK speed limits are incorporated in motor vehicle legislation and they therefore don't apply to bicycles of any kind, these having no speed limits. Police officers can prosecute for several other offences though, such as riding recklessly, endangering, due care and attention, and indeed drunkeness etc., but these cases would have to be argued in court so officers wouldn't bother except in a really extreme case.

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Torqs faster than cars

any derestricted torqs will need to be careful here,will this help the sale of ebikes or make no difference.

mike
They will certainly need to be careful: they will find themselves overtaking cars (those that stick to the limit or a little below) and be very conspicuous.
Inside the law they might be but they will create 'odour' amongst the other forms of transport operators,particularly 'shanks pony'.
Peter

Baboonking

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Watford
I'd be happy to respect a 20 mph general speed limit even if it doesn't apply to my bike. I'd much rather have specific speed limits regulating ebikes in specific areas (such as bike lanes in city centres/ and mixed use pedestrian areas) than a general speed limit for ebikes such as the 15 mph rule.

Beeping-Sleauty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2006
Colchester, Essex
I'd be happy to respect a 20 mph general speed limit even if it doesn't apply to my bike. I'd much rather have specific speed limits regulating ebikes in specific areas (such as bike lanes in city centres/ and mixed use pedestrian areas) than a general speed limit for ebikes such as the 15 mph rule.
Excellent point,

i've always liked the idea that if there are kerbside lines painted in built up areas, the maximum speed should be 20mph for everyone.. (including pedestrians)

beeps