Spencer Ivy

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Has anyone any knowledge of the Spencer ivy bikes? I see they are made where the Kalkhoff are made, are they as good?

C

Cyclezee

Hi Croxden, Spencer Ivy are manufactured in Germany by Derby Cycles and are basically rebadged Kalkhoffs.

There are several marques with the same DNA, so fundamentally they are the same with identical Panasonic drive system.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Hi Croxden, Spencer Ivy are manufactured in Germany by Derby Cycles and are basically rebadged Kalkhoffs.

There are several marques with the same DNA, so fundamentally they are the same with identical Panasonic drive system.
But Kalkhoff now have the Impulse motor, will Spencer Ivy change to this do you know?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Kalkhoff are also using the Panasonic unit still, also the Bosch unit and hub motors. They've tended to keep their own products like the Kalkhoff-BMZ battery to the Kalkhoff brand only, so I'd guess it may be the same with the Kalkhoff Impulse unit.

However, you could contact Spencer Ivy to check further.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The Spencer Ivy is similar spec and price to the Kalkhoff Agattu C8 Impulse.

Main difference seems to be Impulse drive rather than Panasonic.

I doubt most users would notice much difference.

The Kalkhoff has a bigger battery which would swing it for me.

2012 Kalkhoff Agattu C8 Impulse HS 50cm Electric Bike

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
But you can get the Spencer Ivy from Amazon.co.uk at a better price.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
But you can get the Spencer Ivy from Amazon.co.uk at a better price.
The short answer is buy one if that's what you want.

But for an extra £150 or so you get 15ah instead of 10ah battery, hydraulic rim brakes and a parking lock.

No contest to me, although the Spencer Ivy looks a decent quality bike and should serve you well enough.

MS666

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 6, 2013
The Spencer Ivy is similar spec and price to the Kalkhoff Agattu C8 Impulse.

Main difference seems to be Impulse drive rather than Panasonic.

I doubt most users would notice much difference.

The Kalkhoff has a bigger battery which would swing it for me.

2012 Kalkhoff Agattu C8 Impulse HS 50cm Electric Bike

Does anyone know what the frame quality is like? from my past experience in the motor trade ive found that shiny bits are nice but if the chassis isnt up to scratch then its not worth it.

As the famous saying goes? "you cant polish a T#rd but .... but you can sprinkle it in glitter"

Nb - i'm not implying this bike is a T#rd as i wouldnt know :)

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Does anyone know what the frame quality is like? from my past experience in the motor trade ive found that shiny bits are nice but if the chassis isnt up to scratch then its not worth it.

As the famous saying goes? "you cant polish a T#rd but .... but you can sprinkle it in glitter"

Nb - i'm not implying this bike is a T#rd as i wouldnt know :)

The bikes are produced by Derby Cycles. The frames and paint finish on Kalkhoff models is fantastic. I've not had any problems with mine and the paintwork is like new. The bike is coming up to five years old.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The bikes are produced by Derby Cycles. The frames and paint finish on Kalkhoff models is fantastic. I've not had any problems with mine and the paintwork is like new. The bike is coming up to five years old.
Seconded, they are among the best available.