spinning vs grinding for battery life

appalachian ape

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 12, 2022
Fairmont WV
So for a hub motor Ebike; has anyone ever tested to see you get better battery life out of spinning faster in a lower gear or grinding a bit on a higher gear.
just wondering.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I don't think it matters, what does matter is riding above the set cut off speed so no battery power is drawn. I think what matters is that which your knees tell you when it comes to riding technique.

Reactions: flash

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So for a hub motor Ebike; has anyone ever tested to see you get better battery life out of spinning faster in a lower gear or grinding a bit on a higher gear.
just wondering.
I agree with Neal, no difference to battery life.

Spinning faster with a higher cadence will ensure your knee joints have a longer life with greatly reduced risk of arthritis or needing a knee joint replacement, though these cycling risks are greatly reduced with motor assistance.

Reactions: Nealh

appalachian ape

May 12, 2022
Fairmont WV
I agree with Neal, no difference to battery life.

Spinning faster with a higher cadence will ensure your knee joints have a longer life with greatly reduced risk of arthritis or needing a knee joint replacement, though these cycling risks are greatly reduced with motor assistance.

lucky me I am well past the point of bad knees! I am glad the bike helps them feel better

Reactions: flecc

Blox

Jun 4, 2021
just wondering.
On mine, it knows how much you are adding to the mix. You can see on the battery capacity display, the more work you do the longer the range.
conventionally I have a cadence that I would try to maintain, on my conversion I use a higher gear and always look to have some resistance, I’m not just along for the ride!

Reactions: appalachian ape