Split Rim??? Freego Eagle

steve.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2011
Exeter Devon
Hi Flecc.Not been over any sleeping policeman but there are a few holes around and if I have any doubt I slow down!!.
On another point I have been riding my 10kgm Marin Point Reyes (with panniers)on my 19 mile commute and was amazed at how comfortable it was ! it's a lot more forgiving than my Freego Eagle and the carbon forks are better than the suspension forks on the eagle and the whole frame seams to be more forgiving and giving a better ride.But on another point it was pretty tough as Exeter is very very hilly and most of the week there was a strong headwind and it was raining so not to good and I felt like I had did a stage of the Tour De France before I got to work?? Then 12 hrs later I did it again but I a way I'm pleased that at over 64 years of age I can still do it and even went into attack (slow) mode when someone overtook me but made it.
Regards Steve

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Indeed Steve, a frame and forks with "give" are so much more forgiving on the bike and rider. I much preferred the steel frame bikes we used to have for that reason, nowhere near as harsh on the road as alloy frames.

I managed to ride only unpowered to 67 before first buying electric, then riding both for a couple more years before the electric assistance spoilt my fitness for unpowered bikes.

steve.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2011
Exeter Devon
Hi all.More problems!! I've taken the wheel from my Freego Eagle into a bike shop in Exeter ( saddles & paddles ) and they're having problems finding a rim for it!! they have phoned Freego but one number says its no longer in use and they say the other number just rings & rings & rings until they hang up??? The mechanic said he had a downhill rim at home and brought it in but wouldn't fit!! so what do I do now ???? ,I know Freego use to have a parts section on their website but no longer!!,So question is boys & girls what rim can I fit to it that is strong enough!!! and am off to Spain on Monday for 10 Days so stuffed!!.✈
Regards Steve.

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Hi all.More problems!! I've taken the wheel from my Freego Eagle into a bike shop in Exeter ( saddles & paddles ) and they're having problems finding a rim for it!! they have phoned Freego but one number says its no longer in use and they say the other number just rings & rings & rings until they hang up??? The mechanic said he had a downhill rim at home and brought it in but wouldn't fit!! so what do I do now ???? ,I know Freego use to have a parts section on their website but no longer!!,So question is boys & girls what rim can I fit to it that is strong enough!!! and am off to Spain on Monday for 10 Days so stuffed!!.✈
Regards Steve.
The number for Freego is 0800 077 8711. Give them a call yourself. I can assure you that they do not let their phone ring and ring unless they are closed. I have gotten a busy signal from time time though. Of all the bike companies I have dealt with over the years, I have never found anyone with better service. If they have a rim, and they no doubt do, it would be shipped to you immediately as that has been my experience with them.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I had a look at the Mavic range availablility after reading the OP's post, but found the most suitable 36 spoke deep well disc brake MTB rim at a reasonable cost, the XC 717disc, was out of stock everywhere I looked, though the rim brake one was available. Of course the OP's bike has disc brakes.

Their reasonable cost range seems overwhelmingly 32 spokes. Once one departs from the original deep well MTB disc rim spec, there are other options of course.

Aushiker

Pedelecer
I had a look at the Mavic range availablility after reading the OP's post, but found the most suitable 36 spoke deep well disc brake MTB rim at a reasonable cost, the XC 717disc, was out of stock everywhere I looked, though the rim brake one was available. Of course the OP's bike has disc brakes.

Their reasonable cost range seems overwhelmingly 32 spokes. Once one departs from the original deep well MTB disc rim spec, there are other options of course.
Being a rim brake rim is really not an issue here, it can still be used with a disc and would be more than adequate. All being rim brake suitable means there is a machined braking surface which of course is not used in disc brake setup.

As to deep well. The serious question has to be asked why in the first place? Marketing? Image? I am struggling to see how a bike such as this is really going to get any advantage from deep rims. Unless there really is a noticeable aerodynamic advantage then having to be deep rim is all about bling and probably bad bling at that. A deep well rim can be easily replaced with a more standard profile and vice versa.

Frankly if the OP's bike shop couldn't source a rim and unless told they where told that they must get an exact match, I wouldn't be going back there. No bike shop worth their salt would have a problem sorting such a minor issue out.

Andrew

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Being a rim brake rim is really not an issue here, it can still be used with a disc and would be more than adequate. All being rim brake suitable means there is a machined braking surface which of course is not used in disc brake setup.

As to deep well. The serious question has to be asked why in the first place?
Not entirely, disc brakes put all the braking force through the spokes so place different and much larger stresses on the spoke to rim interface. Mavic claim to design the disc brake versions to account for that. However, I personally agree that any reasonable quality rim can suffice.

My suggestion of deep well was just for the closest match to the original to match the OP's front rim for appearances sake, and I also looked for a colour match. Many would regard those of some importance. Possibly the shop were doing the same, given that e-bikes are expensive items.

Reactions: VictoryV

steve.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2011
Exeter Devon
Hi All.Heres the latest?? Still not got a rim? Freego at last answered but a they said ( according to the mechanics) that they haven't used that rim for a long time ??? Great help?? But the problem is getting the right spokes!! I.E the right strength and length which is causing a problem so it looks like this pour old 64 year old is going to have to peddle his normal bike the 10 miles in and 10 miles back after 12hr days for 4 days again???.But I can't understand why a company like F.w.g don't carry any spares??? or tell where they can be purchased!!!.very odd indeed!!
Regards Steve

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
e-bike spokes are usually 13 gauge, 2.2mm in diameter, made in high tensile stainless steel. If you are stuck, measure the spoke's length, from the elbow (where it meets the motor's flange) to where the spoke meets the rim and email andy @ woosh.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Your LBS is probably looking for 13 gauge spokes, but I've built hub motor wheels using the 14 gauge ones below without any subsequent problems. These range from 120mm to 298mm in close steps:

British made 14g spokes at SJS
SJS also have ranges of 13 gauge spokes which might include the required length. Perhaps you or they could check, the link to that page is below, the menu on the left:

Spokes range at SJS

N.B. Crossed with Trex's post.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Use 14 gauge spokes. You can get them from Ebay. I don't know what all the fuss is about. It's the simplest thing to buy some spokes and a rim, then lace them to the motor. I've done loads, including motors the same as yours.

Reactions: Emo Rider

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Hi All.Heres the latest?? Still not got a rim? Freego at last answered but a they said ( according to the mechanics) that they haven't used that rim for a long time ??? Great help?? But the problem is getting the right spokes!! I.E the right strength and length which is causing a problem so it looks like this pour old 64 year old is going to have to peddle his normal bike the 10 miles in and 10 miles back after 12hr days for 4 days again???.But I can't understand why a company like F.w.g don't carry any spares??? or tell where they can be purchased!!!.very odd indeed!!
Regards Steve
I simply can not believe that Freego can not supply you a rim and spokes to repair your bike. True they may not have the original style rim but all you require is a replacement double wall rim and heavy guage spokes that are the correct length. I know they have spokes of varrying length and they have spare rims. How old is your bike? Have you talked to Marcin at Freego. I do not work for Freego but I use their spares and they do indeed stock them. Not only that they usually deliver the next day when I order.

steve.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2011
Exeter Devon
All I know is what the bike shop said and they are worried that if they don't get it right the rim and spokes the wheel might collapse with the weight!!,but I'll phone them today and tell them your suggestions. Thanks.

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Take it to another shop. Any bike shop should be able to fix it.
Got to agree with d8veh about going to another shop. I could have had you fixed and on your way in two days, three days max! I can not believe this has drug on so long.