Spokes for BMS 26" rim w/CST 500W

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Had some great rides on my Trek this Summer in between the grotty weather ! However, finally having trouble with snapping spokes (3rd replacement in a few weeks). I've just replaced 3 near each other on the same side, which all snapped close to the motor rim several miles from home, leaving me with a very hairy ride back to base. Haven't got round to truing the wheel yet .... spoke replacement is getting a bit of a pain in the proverbial as it's not an easy setup to dismantle and reassemble, especially with a dished wheel.

My contingency supply of 210mm 13G spokes from BMS ordered at the time I imported the kit is now used up so if any go from here I'm without spares. This latest round of wheel trouble has got me thinking I could likely consider investing in a wheel rebuild with some better spokes. I have hydraulic disc brakes and so maybe it's time to change over to spokes of slightly different lengths to compensate for the dishing ?

Would appreciate any help/input on where to source good strong spokes, perhaps some double-butted ones which are easier to work with than the thick BMS ones ?

Also how to get the measurement right for ordering them.

Ta :cool:

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
PS - would also consider a rim replacement if it was going to add anything meaningful .... again, input appreciated.

D

Deleted member 4366

Can you measure one? I might have some. I have a big box of left over spokes. How many miles has your bike done now?

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Can you measure one? I might have some. I have a big box of left over spokes. How many miles has your bike done now?
They're all 210mm, Dave - I ordered 40 with the wheel rim originally so you work out how many have broken. They all go near the head of the spoke where it's held at the motor, very rarely further up the spoke. Bike has only done total of about 1,500 miles and as you know I'm not a heavyweight :D.

Thinking longer term, they're not easy to work with compared to the ones on my 'normal' bike - nipples round easily, very thick etc and way too many breaking.

When the Winter sets in I most likely won't be riding the bike so can take it off the road and build a new wheel - I'm looking to keep it and ride it next year but finding the time to do maintenance is hard nowadays so "better" spokes saving replacements would hopefully be a time-sparing investment during the riding Season ?

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
..........Would appreciate any help/input on where to source good strong spokes, perhaps some double-butted ones which are easier to work with than the thick BMS ones ?..........
Ta :cool:
After helpful encouragement from d8veh, I built my first wheel from scratch, using a Q100h front hub motor and an existing double wall 700c rim that I had.

http://pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/switched-from-swxb-to-q100h.19102/#post-239345

I tried using the BMS 13g spokes that I'd bought with the motor and found them to be very tight in the motor holes, scratching the paint and not being "easy to work with", as you say.

Dave had advised using 14g spokes, so I bought some of those via ebay, from someone in Germany, for about £12, delivered.

The difference in ease of lacing and then truing was huge. They went into the hub holes easily, and swiveled into place under their own weight, and were much easier to lace and cross. I was able to true the wheel and pre-stress it very easily, and have now ridden on it for a year with no breakages or buckles, (although it is a front wheel with v brakes, so it is under less weight).

Confusingly though, I also have a BMS ready built 20" front wheel with a Q100 motor, with their 13g spokes, and have had no breakages.

I'm reading your post with some trepidation, because I am just about to receive another 20" rim, Q100 motor, and 40 x 13g spokes from BMS which I'm hoping to build. If I find the spokes are tight again, I'll order 14g spokes from ebay again.

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I was thinking really hard about lacing my Mxus into a 28" Mavic rim with DT Swiss 2mm spokes which is 14 gauge. The only thing really holding me back are the torque arms - I would like custom cut torque plates to keep things nice and clean. Haven't found a cheap local source yet, when my Spanish gets better I will have a look down there.