Spokes

Shannock

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2012
Sheringham, Norfolk
Hello to all you wheel builders out there,

Do the spokes in the motor wheel need to be tensioned higher than normal, bearing in mind the extra torque of the motor when pulling away.

My 26" front wheel's spokes "ping" at a nice middle range. (this is very technical speak), should the ping be at a higher octave.

Pete

catsnapper

Pedelecer
Hello to all you wheel builders out there,

Do the spokes in the motor wheel need to be tensioned higher than normal, bearing in mind the extra torque of the motor when pulling away.

My 26" front wheel's spokes "ping" at a nice middle range. (this is very technical speak), should the ping be at a higher octave.

Pete
Hi Pete,

I build motor wheels to quite a high tension, but that does depend on a decent rim and spokes. I've seen plenty of cheap, low quality e-wheels with the nipples happily ripping their way through the rim.

I'd take a guess from your mid-range 'ping' that the tension could go a bit higher, but without knowing what rim and spokes you have and preferably seeing the wheel, it's difficult to say for sure.
If you've not had any problems so far, I'd be more concerned that the tension is even across all the spokes - uneven tension will shorten the potential wheel/spoke life.

Alan

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I tend to build smaller wheels/e-wheels (20" and less) and the tension in those is about the same as any other stock small wheels I have checked.

I fully agree with Alan (but then he has taught me a lot already lol) its important to get the tensions consistent across the wheel. You can have a perfectly round/tru wheel with the tensions all over the place.

If you are building a lot of wheels checkout a tension gauge. I brought one recently and it has transformed my wheel building(mainly in the area of confidence) in that you can confirm your build is a good one after you have built it.

Regards

Jerry

C

Cyclezee

Hi Pete,

The rims on the eZee kit are Weinmann SP77 and the spokes are 13G Sandvik T302 Stainless Steel.

The spokes should not require any adjustment so soon.

I guess what I am really saying without being patronising is Pete if it ain't broke, don't fix it, just enjoy riding
;)

Regards,

Last edited by a moderator:

Shannock

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2012
Sheringham, Norfolk
Thank you Alan and Jerry, I didn't want to bother you John because I have had a lot of contact with you and wanted to give you a rest, yes I will leave them and enjoy the riding. It was a thought that had interested me.

Pete

C

Cyclezee

Thank you Alan and Jerry, I didn't want to bother you John because I have had a lot of contact with you and wanted to give you a rest, yes I will leave them and enjoy the riding. It was a thought that had interested me.

Pete
You are not a bother Pete, a pleasure to deal and I am happy to help if and when I can.

You will lots of help and advice on the forum as and when you want it.;)

Regards,