robdon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 5, 2013
where is the best place to get spokes, and what grade for ebikes
ROB

D

Deleted member 4366

BMSBattery are the cheapest.

I heard today that Catsnapper is not taking orders due to ill health. Let's hope that he gets well soon.

13g is the nornal size. What do you want them for?

robdon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 5, 2013
a Q100 front wheel motor, for a 26 inch 36 hole rim, same as you used
ROB

robdon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 5, 2013
different 26 inch rims must have different ERM, I have just done an old rim for practice 3x ERM 535 245mm, I got it to within 2 mm but one spoke was too long to tighten up, and one was a bit short, all the same size when I started.
got some cheap spokes off ebay. used the Q100
is 2x the best pattern for ebike, maybe 3x not right.
made my own truing stand from wheelpro design
[/URL][/IMG]

Reactions: jerrysimon
D

Deleted member 4366

2-cross is what I do, except I sometimes do 1-cross on a low-torque motor like the Q100.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Oh I do hope Catsnapper (Alan) gets better. He is such a nice chap and has provided me with so many sets of spokes and loads of wheel building advice over the last few years.

Jerry

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
different 26 inch rims must have different ERM, I have just done an old rim for practice 3x ERM 535 245mm, I got it to within 2 mm but one spoke was too long to tighten up, and one was a bit short, all the same size when I started.
got some cheap spokes off ebay. used the Q100
is 2x the best pattern for ebike, maybe 3x not right.
I personally think X2 is sufficient on larger wheels. I use X0 (radial) on my Brompton/small wheeled bikes 16" and 20" rims. My guess is you could have probably got slightly shorter (1-2mm) spokes. If the threads on one spoke don't quite disappear into the nipple its not the end of the world. However uf they are too long as you said you then run out of thread and cant tighten them. Some of the drillings on hub flanges aren't that precise. I usually use this on line spoke calculator.

www.wheelpro.co.uk/spokecalc

Really cheap spokes are probably a false economy if they are not cut to length properly.

PS I am primarily talking about front wheels as I have built back wheels, but never with a motor in one.

Jerry

Last edited:

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
I personally think X2 is sufficient on larger wheels. I use X0 (radial) on my Brompton/small wheeled bikes 16" and 20" rims. My guess is you could have probably got slightly shorter (1-2mm) spokes. If the threads on one spoke don't quite disappear into the nipple its not the end of the world. However uf they are too long as you said you then run out of thread and cant tighten them. Some of the drillings on hub flanges aren't that precise. I usually use this on line spoke calculator.

www.wheelpro.co.uk/spokecalc

Really cheap spokes are probably a false economy if they are not cut to length properly.

PS I am primarily talking about front wheels as I have built back wheels, but never with a motor in one.

Jerry
Hi Jerry,

Slightly off topic,

What is the ERD of the rim I received from you (brompton 36h one)?

Thanks
Pat

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
What is the ERD of the rim I received from you (brompton 36h one)?
I tend to measure them myself using the instructions on the spokepro web site.

The Brompton older styled single wall rim I measure as 338mm. The newer Brompton double walled rims are less as is the CR18 rim.

Jerry