Sports HQ 15% off weekend

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Till midnight Sunday a 15% discount at Sports HQ by using the Code" CHRISTMAS "

Here are the bikes Electric Bikes - The Sports HQ and I make them £339 after discount and that has got to be quite some bargain when you consider that batteries can cost at least that amount.

Our Power Plus and both Folders are still going strong:D

Enjoy

Dave

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Till midnight Sunday a 15% discount at Sports HQ by using the Code" CHRISTMAS "

Here are the bikes Electric Bikes - The Sports HQ and I make them £339 after discount and that has got to be quite some bargain when you consider that batteries can cost at least that amount.

Our Power Plus and both Folders are still going strong:D

Enjoy

Dave
Just out of interest, assuming an Import Margin of 100%, Dealer Margin of 40% (25% in this case with 15% discount) and VAT at 17.5%, this makes the price at the factory gate about £135.

That is pretty astounding. Battery details are pretty scant, but the bike / battery does come with a 12 month guarantee.

It's not really any business of mine how much margin individual retailers make on their bikes. But if it is possible to put one together, including a Li-ion battery for £135, it reinforces my suspicion that replacement battery prices for other brands are artificially inflated for reasons which have already been tirelessly debated.

Back to the bike in question, it has to be worth a punt if you are in the market for something of this ilk.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, at that price and the record to date for this brand, well worth buying, especially the PowerPlus.

On Tillson's figures, the margins are unlikely to be anything like that. As both Dealer and importer SportsHQ will operate on a single margin, almost certainly kept low to enable the lowest possible VAT addition.

I strongly suspect that with the recent growth in interest in e-bikes, SportsHQ as an international company are smart enough to use these as loss leaders to attract attention, so they may be on no margin at all during these offer periods.

That's the crucial difference with these big boys, they can afford to do these things where a one or two brand importer of e-bikes just has to make their living from them.

So as not to distract from the thread subject, I repeat, well worth buying and some might give consideration to buying one as a backup for casual use and the occasions when their much more expensive premium bike is out of action for battery charging, maintenance, repair etc.

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Thinking of getting one as a backup for the Whisper.

I would suspect Sports HQ operate a much lower margin and do much of the importing themselves.

BBB

Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2007
if sports HQ are the sole inporters, I am sure they set their own RRP which could be inflated to make the bike look a bigger bargain when it is discounted, I mean have you evet seen a sette suite for sale at less than half the RRP! saying that it looks a good buy at that price, as a second back up bike Zombie.

I wish I had a 40% Margin on the electric that I retail.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They are sole importer and dealer for the name since Cyclamatic is their own brand name, exclusive to them.

As BBB implies, the RRP is only a sham, but I think acceptable behaviour since other e-bikes of similar specification have been on sale at near £1000 previously when prices were generally lower.

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
And the Power Plus comes with a water bottle included - not just the holder as most other bikes. Well worth the money. It's just a shame they are not 36v - I'd buy one for the battery to increase the range on my Wisper and get a free bike thrown in.

Colin

onmebike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2010
West Essex
Considering the very few faults reported on the Cyclamatic's, the money back promise and backup from Sportshq, this must be an absolute bargain.
Over a year since their first introduction so any serious flaws should be evident.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I've just re-read Old Timer's original post and realised the price is £339 and not £399. I thought £399 was an impressive bargain!

Does any forum member own one? I'm just curious to know if it is fitted with decent components. Motor, brakes gears etc. Also, are replacement batteries available and at what price?

I would have been tempted by this, just to mess around with. But I heard somewhere earlier this week that the average male spends over £55000 during a lifetime on items they don't want or need (females £45000). With that still resonating, unfortunately the bikes falls into this category, I don't need it even though it does appear to be an incredible deal. The damn Pro Connect is just too reliable.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Put the money towards a new Kalkhoff battery in the new year ;)

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Put the money towards a new Kalkhoff battery in the new year ;)
I will, one of the 18 Ah ones. I'll then be safe in the knowledge that it will last me five years and still have 60% of the original capacity left. That means that after five years it will still have more range than the current 10 Ah battery, don't ya know!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I will, one of the 18 Ah ones. I'll then be safe in the knowledge that it will last me five years and still have 60% of the original capacity left. That means that after five years it will still have more range than the current 10 Ah battery, don't ya know!
:D :D :D

tribalecho

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2010
Guernsey
I've just re-read Old Timer's original post and realised the price is £339 and not £399. I thought £399 was an impressive bargain!

Does any forum member own one? I'm just curious to know if it is fitted with decent components. Motor, brakes gears etc. Also, are replacement batteries available and at what price?

I bought a folding cyclamatic a couple of months ago, as a back-up for when my Raleigh might be out of action. It arrived damaged (in post) but the damaged parts were replaced by SportsHQ promptly. There was the option to return the bike, but it seemed too much trouble at the time. I'm no expert on components, but it seems very good value to me. I've only used it a couple of times to test it out. It did the job, but it's a very different ride to my Raleigh. I put that down to being a hub motor rather than anything else.
I believe they're a bargain at the price though, and only £5 delivery to Channel Islands (other firms often charge up to £50, even for sending a small item).
Replacement batteries are £219
Electric Bikes - The Sports HQ
So, a bargain, but no way would I replace for my Raleigh :)

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK

Re-read Old Timer's original post yet again and you will find your answer on forum members owning them.:);)

Colin

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
When out and about with Sahel a few weeks ago, I had a cup of tea with a cyclamatic rider. We spent some time comparing the two machines, always bearing in mind the price difference. There is really only one weakness in the Cyclamatic, the front forks, functional but a bit naff. Yes, they will take the thump out of a speed hump but, the brake posts are mounted on flimsy steel pressings welded to the legs, when applying the brakes the whole lot flexes alarmingly. The owner of the Cyclamatic was very pleased with his machine, but a bit miffed when I explained he could have purchased it a lot cheaper if he had waited for a discount voucher, he paid the full £500!!.

The entry level Izip machines are also fitted with the same forks, as was a machine I customized early this year. In the case of that machine the forks were replaced with far better Sun-Tours for £40. Other than that minor niggle with the front forks, I would say the cyclamatic compares very favourably in price and quality with the Powacycle Salisbury, probably it's nearest comparable machine.

Regarding the BMZ 18ah battery.

Please remember, only a limited number of these batteries will be available to existing customers wishing to upgrade. I ordered mine as soon as 50cycles put them on their website, also, considering I'm getting precious little interest on my savings I paid the full price up front. At least I'll avoid the 2.5% VAT increase.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But I heard somewhere earlier this week that the average male spends over £55000 during a lifetime on items they don't want or need (females £45000).
Bet this calculation doesn't include scents, cosmetics and other "beauty" aids. ;)

OTH

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2010
Might this be a wise purchase as a first electric bike - to dip a toe in the water, so to speak? Or would it be just be frustrating?

Obviously the quality is budget, but what about the performance?

Is the spread of gears adequate? I need to be able to get up a steepish hill.

Is it up to daily use?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Might this be a wise purchase as a first electric bike - to dip a toe in the water, so to speak? Or would it be just be frustrating?

Obviously the quality is budget, but what about the performance?

Is the spread of gears adequate? I need to be able to get up a steepish hill.

Is it up to daily use?
I think the best answer is to try a couple of e-bikes first, preferably a drive-through-gears Panasonic type and an average hub motor type. If the latter suits, then the Cyclamatic is a worthwhile first time buy for someone not sure if e-biking is for them.

Whether e-biking proves appealing or not, the Cyclamatic can be sold to recover much of it's cost, or to buy a better e-bike if more power is needed for hill climbing etc.

If trying a couple first isn't possible, then it's still a low cost gamble on the same basis, leaving you very little out of pocket.