Spring is here

and the weather warms up on this side of the world, which means: its time for the wisper to be back in the shop!

Since I bought it in Feburary I seem to have gone through a controller, and now, according to the mechanic, two sets of rear wheels/motors. I ride about 20-30 minutes a day, mostly up quite a steep incline, and I'm not the lightest (115kg). Is this just too much for the old dear?

This is the fourth time its been in the shop, on average 3 weeks at a time. Wisper NZ have been great at getting me the stuff I need, and the time delay is a factor of living at the wrong end of the country.

I'm just having a moan. I'm sure they will sort it out.

Anton

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
With a stiff climb each day and the total bike/rider weight, I'm guessing it was the nylon gears in the motors, plus controller burnouts through running continuously at maximum power/torque compromise point during the climbs.

That's a tough combination called for from what's meant as an assist motor.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Wonderpup

Sorry to gear you are experiencing problems.

I will pass the thread link to Anthony Clyde and he will be in touch, I do remember a similar problem in NZ. Do you use the bike to walk along side carrying heavy loads or was that someone else?

Do you tend to use the throttle only?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards

David

Hi Wonderpup

Sorry to gear you are experiencing problems.

I will pass the thread link to Anthony Clyde and he will be in touch, I do remember a similar problem in NZ. Do you use the bike to walk along side carrying heavy loads or was that someone else?

Do you tend to use the throttle only?

I look forward to hearing from you.
Hi David: yeah, that was me :)

Early on I did use the throttle to help me push the bike, but no longer - especially as my fitness improved to the point I can ride up the hill in question. I've never carried loads on it (other than me!).

I don't use throttle only at all - in fact I'm close to just re-attaching the purple wire so I don't use it at all from standing starts.

I've emailed Anthony - he's good at keeping in touch.

Thanks for the response: I'm just having a moan - I'm sure they'll sort me out one way or another.

Anton.

With a stiff climb each day and the total bike/rider weight, I'm guessing it was the nylon gears in the motors, plus controller burnouts through running continuously at maximum power/torque compromise point during the climbs.

That's a tough combination called for from what's meant as an assist motor.
If the controller turns out to be the problem, would there be any way to 'detune' the controller so it wasn't working so hard?

Anton

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not sure Anton, but the fact that you haven't been using throttle only doesn't seem to support my guess. Probably best to let Anthony get involved now to investigate.

Not sure Anton, but the fact that you haven't been using throttle only doesn't seem to support my guess. Probably best to let Anthony get involved now to investigate.
I reckon so too. I do love the bike, and I really really hope that it will do the job I bought it to.

Anton