sprint forks

urstuart16v@talktalk.net

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 1, 2006
hi -used my sprint 7 today when i came back from my ride i noticed my front forks appear to have seized solid,my question is does anyone know how they work ,they appear to have a filling cap ,and a knob for adjustment ,but it does not seem to do anything.Also are the forks hydraulic ,or do i just have a couple of springs inside the forks to give me suspention,and are they fill able with oil,if so what type.I have also noticed the amber light on my battery meter has given up the ghost is it repairable with a new led.thanks Stuart.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The LED in the meter is unlikely to have failed, it's more likely that it's driver on the circuit inside the meter has failed, or there's a "dry" (solder failure) connection. However, if this has just happened and you've been riding in wet conditions, it could be just a dampness short which a good dry out would cure. That's worth a try first by putting the bike into a warm dry room for a while.

I have no personal experience with the Sprint forks, but they have springs, and it seems the bushes may have seized for some reason. I think it best to ask 50cycles or eZeebike for advice as they probably have previous experience of dealing with this. The 50cycles website has a service report form to fill in on this link:

http://www.50cycles.com/report.shtml

eZee bike also has a contact point by emailing:

service@ezeebike.com

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Further info.

It seems the Sprint uses Zoom forks, and it also seems locking up can occur with wet weather for some users at least. Here's some advice I found online for dealing with this:

"1st thing i would try is oiling up the internals, most zoom forks have plastic top caps that you can remove with a flat head screwdriver, drip in some generic light machine oil, nothing too thick, not too much though, replace top caps, and then turn the bike upside down for a few mins to let the oil spread out, then try the forks out. failing that, take it back to where you bought it and see how good their aftersale service is".

And here's the cycling forum page that came from:

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t341983.html

urstuart16v@talktalk.net

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 1, 2006
hi-thanks for the info on the forks flecc just as a matter of interest do you know if forks are made in standard sizes and head stem length and rake or are the forks made just to fit the sprint,would it be possible to fit a better quality of suspension forks off the shelf ,have seen them on eBay have not a clue how to pick a pair that would fit cheers Stuart.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't know if they're specified for the Sprint or supplied plain and threaded to suit at point of manufacture, Stuart. They can be supplied either way. I wouldn't worry too much about that low opinion expressed on the Zoom forks on that site. I've found equal opinions both ways on forks from Zoom, Rockshox, Ballistic and others. The only way to be sure of better is to go to long established suspension top makes like Ohlins, but they'll be far from cheap. I'm not a fan of technologies handed down from motor cycles, such as suspension forks and disc brakes, the need for lightness means they don't translate well.

The way I'd tackle your forks is to ensure they're drained of any water that may have entered, then try to free them up. Then oil the interior a little and use some clear grease or vaseline occasionally on the sliding section to seal the junction against water entry. They should perform reliably then.

Have you solved the LED problem yet?