Sprint parts Question

Dell

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 3, 2007
Hi all,came off my bike this morning :( I scraped my knee and elbow and the bike scraped the right hand pedal but shattered the battery indicator/switch box on the handle bars.
Before I phone 50 cycles does anyone know if these are available as a spare?
Also looks like it`s going to be a fun soldering job to fit too.

Derek

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
Sorry to here of that misfortune Derek. Those battery meter casings are very fragile, mine are glued in a number of places on both my bikes, can you not glue yours with epoxy resin?

I'm fairly sure they will be available as spares and I doubt there will be any soldering involved, the brake switches plug in under the big rubber bung and I would imagine the unit comes with the cables for the throttle and controller connections already attached, the latter being quite long and connecting under the bottom bracket, the connector being covered with shrink tube.

If you need any fitting advice feel free to ask.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
50cycles are pretty good with stocks of the spares and will probably have one for you.

No soldering, all done by unplugging. The meter includes the throttle connector, and the lead down to another connector down to the bottom bracket connector. When you pull out the large rubber grommet from beneath the meter, you'll see two white connectors on the brake cutout wires that unplug, so the wires can stay on the brake levers. You can part the meter to get at those if you prefer, illustration and description on my site here.

The only different bit I'm not sure of is the lighting wire if you have a late model sprint with lights running from the main battery and switch on the throttle. You'll need to specify which version it is to 50cycles since the throttle connectors are different, more connections on those with a light switch on the twistgrip.

Last edited:

Dell

Apr 3, 2007
Ah I see, I was just hoping for the case.the pcb and switch are all intact but as Ian says the case is really brittle and tiny pieces are missing including the loop that holds it to the handlebars. I think I may opt to mod a replacement from a project box from Maplins.My Sprint is the dynamo lighting version and I wondered what the 2 white sockets were for as they`re not used on mine and my brakes don`t cut the power.

Thanks for the help guys.

Derek

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
The project box replacement is on my list of things to do. On my Sprint the box is in poor shape also having lost is handlebar clamp.

I understand the battery meter on current bikes is different, having an LCD instead of LEDs.. I wonder if the plastic is any stronger.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I managed to snap the plastic clamp on one of mine by overtightening beyond it's strength, but managed to repair it by drilling through the two halves and coupling with a long thin self tapper. Put back on with a bit less force it's survived ok, but the material is too brittle, reminding me of the old bakelite of yesteryear.

Dell

Apr 3, 2007
Well it rained on the way home tonight but the quick fix kept it dry.
Who`d of thought rubber gloves would have so many uses :D you can even see the leds through them. I wonder where I came up with that idea from ;)

I`d be interested to see an lcd version in bright sunshine I could barely see the leds in those conditions.

Derek