Starting out

pinnaboy

Just Joined
May 25, 2013
Hi, I'm 54 and wanted an electric folder to drive 17 miles with and then end with a 2 mile ride, mostly on a hard towpath. Ive tried a 3 speed Brompton which convinced me of the benefits of electric assistance. I didn't want to commit to too large an outlay straight away so bought a year old Powertrek 16" folder. Problem is the gearing is very low which makes power assist riding difficult and the battery is poor, only giving 5 miles on pedal assist. I've been looking at a new Wisper 806 or a Volt Metro. The front drive of the Wisper concerns me on hills or loose slopes but the Volt has derailleur gears so could the gearing be too low. Has anyone had experience of these bikes or have any other suggestions. I don't think any hybrid or mountain bike would fit in the bike of my Ford Galaxy without taking off the handlebars so I think it has to be a folder.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That too low gearing is a common problem with small wheel folders, espevcialy the low cost ones, and I think the Volt Metro will suffer from it, judged by sight.

No such problem with the Wisper 906. It has a 48 tooth chainwheel coupled to an Alfine 8 hub gear, which if used with the smallest 16 tooth* rear sprocket option will give an approximately 97 inch top gear.

That will give these speeds in top gear at these pedal cadences (rpm):

60 rpm = 17.3 mph (this is a leisurely pedalling rpm)

70 rpm = 20.2 mph

80 rpm = 23.1 mph

90 rpm = 26.0 mph (This is a tour race cyclist's typical cadence)

*I don't know what rear sprocket Wisper fit, but it's an easy and low cost swap item. If the cadences I've quoted are too high, you have larger sprocket options through to 24 teeth, reducing the speeds at those cadences in proportion to the change in teeth number.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi, I'm 54 and wanted an electric folder to drive 17 miles with and then end with a 2 mile ride, mostly on a hard towpath. Ive tried a 3 speed Brompton which convinced me of the benefits of electric assistance. I didn't want to commit to too large an outlay straight away so bought a year old Powertrek 16" folder. Problem is the gearing is very low which makes power assist riding difficult and the battery is poor, only giving 5 miles on pedal assist. I've been looking at a new Wisper 806 or a Volt Metro. The front drive of the Wisper concerns me on hills or loose slopes but the Volt has derailleur gears so could the gearing be too low. Has anyone had experience of these bikes or have any other suggestions. I don't think any hybrid or mountain bike would fit in the bike of my Ford Galaxy without taking off the handlebars so I think it has to be a folder.
Hi Pinnaboy,

Thanks for considering the new Wisper 806Classic. We have considered the issue with the front wheel having a tendency to spin a little on gravel or in the wet on full power. This is a slight concern when starting from standstill. To alleviate the potential problem all 806Classics are fitted with a "soft start" mode which completely solves the issue. Once you get used to the bike you will learn not to start on full power, at this stage simply turn the soft start off.

All the best

David

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
Hi Pinnaboy and welcome, as you can see I use a little folder which since I have had it has taken me to places around my area which I did not know was there! and only lived here 49 years.
Its in standard trim at the moment, but the battery maybe uped from 24 volts to 36 as suggested in the beastmatic Sarga:rolleyes:
Like most people have found even in standard trim on a level road it is hard to keep up with the motor.
However I have a larger chainring to fit in the future but have found I am now managing to catch up more and more with the motor (either motor/battery getting weaker or I am getting fitter?)
Last time I checked (about 2 weeks ago) the battery was giving me about 26.7 miles on a charge and using PAS.
Also handy to but in back of motor if you want to go further a field.
Hope the above helps.

Bob

P.S I am a 67 old worn out B***er

Last edited: