Steam cleaner ok to use on bike?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
My steam cleaner works great on clearing the muck from all kinds of surfaces, but would it be safe to use it to clean a bike?

I'm more concerned about the steam being able to permeate in places that water alone might not reach.
That said, the steam seems to disappear quite quickly from the surface, so maybe not so bad.

Any thoughts?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm a bit nervous about the damage these can do to some surfaces, so best to try a good blast under the bottom bracket at first to make sure the paint finish won't be damaged where it shows.

Also the steam can wash out all the lubrication from within a freewheel, cassette core or hub gear, so go easy in those areas. I'd also go easy on the chain too for the same reason, unless you intend to oil bath or hot grease bath it afterwards.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Be kinder to it and use baby wipes . They work beautifully on the undersides of my Scooters and Motorcycle , including grease and road muck . Have you seen what they shift on a baby ?

Reactions: mike killay

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
I think a ferocious blast of water can do a lot of damage to small parts.....

So I tend to leave mud there as protection until it drops off of its own accord, then Roger is right, baby wipes are good for lots of things......quick wipe and you are ready for the next lot.....mind you, I hate shiny clean bikes..... a bit of muck never did anyone any harm and makes a bike look used and loved.......least thats MY excuse.......she needs to know that I love her, I find it stops her from getting a bit narky and trying to get attention by puncturing herself.....

I can usually find an excuse to explain all my basically lazy tendencies ....... ;)

Lynda :)

Reactions: mike killay

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
I have seen steam cleaners do a great job of stripping the paint off a bike unintentionally so suggest you use it with caution!

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Bucket of hot water and a sponge if it's absolutely caked in mud then just use baby wipes or Dettol cleaner wipes. Gets the bike gleaming with no damage to paintwork or decals and shifts just about anything. Easy to use indoors too / or if you don't want the whole driveway flooded out with a hosepipe !

Marctwo

Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2012
Well you're still going to have to wipe it down after steaming anyway, aren't you? So I don't see the point.

Another thumbs up for baby wipes from me.

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
Steam cleaner ok to use on bike?..........

NO..........................................................................................................................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
+1 for baby wipes !

I have two kids in nappies and would go further and say asda own brand best for bikes - they don't fall apart like huggies !

MikeyBikey

Pedelecer
Mar 5, 2013
Homemade Bike Shampoo Sprayer

Try filling an empty Spray Cleaner bottle with Car Shampoo solution. It's salt free and leaves a shiny wax finish behind. Shift stubborn muck by working it in gently with a soft natural bristle brush (paint brush). It won't scratch like synthetic fibres would. ;)
You have a lot more control over where it goes, like not in the electrics or bearings !
Has anyone tried a pump-up garden spray with shampoo?

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
I clean my bike down with paraffin in a spray bottle, wiped down with old toweling and finally give it a wipe down with a flannel sprayed with wd40.

antoniodevin

Just Joined
Aug 27, 2020
I would appreciate it if you would leave some details about the steam cleaner you owned and model. The vapor produced by a dry-steam cleaner allows you to deodorize and sanitize your bike. you can happily clean your bike with steam cleaners from top brands because not all work efficiently with all kinds of stuff. in general steam cleaners works wonders on car exteriors, sealed hardwood floors, leather upholstery, most kitchen appliances, windows, mirrors, and showers.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I would appreciate it if you would leave some details about the steam cleaner you owned and model. The vapor produced by a dry-steam cleaner allows you to deodorize and sanitize your bike. you can happily clean your bike with steam cleaners from top brands because not all work efficiently with all kinds of stuff. in general steam cleaners works wonders on car exteriors, sealed hardwood floors, leather upholstery, most kitchen appliances, windows, mirrors, and showers.
OK I'll bite, what on earth is dry steam?