Step through bike uphill

mikec555

Just Joined
May 21, 2023
Hi,

I read that step through bikes can bend when cycling uphill. Should I get off the bike and walk when it's uphill? I have a Haibike Trekking 4 low step as seen here https://www.haibike.com/gb/en/electric-bikes/electric-trekking-bikes/trekking-4-lowstep-gbx007?id=45096146

It also feels a bit wobbly when I slightly turn the handle bars left and right quickly while cycling. Is this bike safe to use or is it mostly for just riding around the block with the kids? There are also lots of damaged roads with bumps etc where I ride. Is it safe to ride at high speeds on such roads? Can I fall, will the frame last etc? I also read that sometimes step through frames are not even meant to be used outside, is that true?

Thanks,
Mike

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Of course, it is "tosh" as "chis997" comments, what matters is the balance of stiffness and strength the designer was able to impart into the frame design.
Certainly, the lightest non extreme route to getting this balance right is with a cross tubed frame, witness what universally we see in the likes of the Tour de France, but given enough metal used in the right places there are other workable solutions as we see in full suspension MTBs for example. That though means comparably more weight and a wee bit more energy sapping, though I suggest here with an e-bike those aspects are not real show stopper issues for most users.

The integrated battery bike as identified has a spin off from that feature resulting potentially in metal being in the right place to achieve a quite adequate stiffness strength balance if "got right". With the identified brand Haibike I have real confidence they will have got the design and build quality "right" for the market the bike is aimed at, though probably that's not one for charging down an extreme technically MTB course.

We because of my wife's later years physical mobility issues have a step through 2016 Kalkhoff.
Yes, its frame flexes a bit but well within what it and any rider can take, and that has now quite a few years and miles of usage, some of which has been on as rough tracks as we would choose to ride any bike on, even Hampshire's roads!
Your "needs" from the bike you choose will be key, if that is not extreme, I have little doubt there are step through solutions that cope adequately and safely.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikec555

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
I've never heard of any of this. All of my bikes are step through including folders and an Oxygen E-Mate which has covered about 10k miles in all weather, on roads and rougher paths and we live on the hilly Welsh borders, on the top of a 2 mile hill. I've never had any bike wobble, flex or bend and have been riding step-throughs for over 50 years.

mikec555

Just Joined
May 21, 2023
Thanks for your replies guys, I feel a little better now . Just one last question about step through bikes. When I'm out cycling and I want to turn, do I have to get off the bike and turn it and then get back on every time to make sure the frame doesn't bend or break, or is it ok to turn while on the bike as a normal bike?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've never had any bike wobble, flex or bend and have been riding step-throughs for over 50 years.
It can and does happen sometimes. Below I'm quoting from my own website on the Giant Lafree models:

"Giant went upmarket again with the model at the left, the Comfort ST. This had all the Comfort features, plus a full chaincase, and also had a larger diameter main frame tube, since one slight criticism of the previous step-through models had been the slight flexing of the frame when pedalling hard, a common problem with step-through." (albeit mainly for strong cyclists standing on the pedals)

And Ezee Kinetics went a stage further with their step-through Sprint model which suffered some broken frames from one sub-standard period of production. That happened to one of our pedelecs members while riding, but fortunately he wasn't hurt.

But in general step-throughs are perfectly safe.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Thanks for your replies guys, I feel a little better now . Just one last question about step through bikes. When I'm out cycling and I want to turn, do I have to get off the bike and turn it and then get back on every time to make sure the frame doesn't bend or break, or is it ok to turn while on the bike as a normal bike?
No, definitely do not attempt to turn while riding and seated, ALLWAYS stop, get off, point the handlebars in the desired direction, remount, and continue. If you do not follow this advice, the frame will almost certainly collapse resulting in serious injury or worse. These step through bikes should never of been sold.

Join 1000's of those who have successfully claimed and recovered the cost of their bike - you could claim up to £10,000 - go to - www.mystepthroughbikeclaim.com

Stanebike

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2020
Now I'm in my 70s I can't get my leg over, in the strictly bicycle seance, so have a low step ebike. It's great for roads, hills, bridle paths, fields and corners.
Sounds like those jokers with their frame failure stories are jealous of your great bike.

flash

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2009
CW12 Congleton
My Pashley Pronto / Mail Star has never heard of flex and can't even spell it.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Some one is winding you lot up , I can't believe you have fallen for it.

Last edited:

mikec555

Just Joined
May 21, 2023
OK thanks again. I have an update to share. Today since it was Sunday (and thanks to your encouraging comments) I decided to use my bike a little more to see what happens. I glued cotton balls to vulnerable areas of the frame and then taped over those areas with electric tape. I heard that this might help stabilise the frame a bit and also protect it if I fall. I rode up a few hills and eveverything has been fine so far. I haven't turned yet, only gone straight and then stopped and turned the bike around to go back and forth on the same road. Is there anything I can apply to the saddle area or anywhere else to protect the bike a bit so I can turn without stopping? I don't want the frame to break in half as I'm turning. I understand that this might not happen right away but after some wear and tear from turning while going at speed. Thanks.

Reactions: Miznomer

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Wind up merchant or a spammer.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
OK thanks again. I have an update to share. Today since it was Sunday (and thanks to your encouraging comments) I decided to use my bike a little more to see what happens. I glued cotton balls to vulnerable areas of the frame and then taped over those areas with electric tape. I heard that this might help stabilise the frame a bit and also protect it if I fall. I rode up a few hills and eveverything has been fine so far. I haven't turned yet, only gone straight and then stopped and turned the bike around to go back and forth on the same road. Is there anything I can apply to the saddle area or anywhere else to protect the bike a bit so I can turn without stopping? I don't want the frame to break in half as I'm turning. I understand that this might not happen right away but after some wear and tear from turning while going at speed. Thanks.
Have you considered an E-Unicycle ?.
With only one wheel and no frame to speak of, flex is pretty much eliminated, and as for turning, they can turn on a penny.

Plas man

Pedelecer
May 12, 2022
Found what’s wrong - you bought a left hand ride you should know in UK we are right hand drive . To fix it simply turn the bolts around on the folding hinge .

Reactions: Miznomer