Step through bikes

hammerheads

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Birchwood,Warrington
Quick question - are step through bikes generally viewed as a ladies bike? I hadn't considered one previously but given my back condition and the fact that the missus may occasionally want to use it then it's starting to make a bit of sense. Perhaps a compromise may be a bike with a cross bar albeit a low one - if anyone has any recommendations I'd be grateful

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I now ride a "woman's" frame a.k.a. mixte. Because with two full paniers and/or a trailer attached throwing a leg over in town was getting boring. And I am at the "I don't care what you think" age, as are the young ladies riding diamond frame fixies are I guess... No that would probably be: "you macho b@stard I can ride a mans bike if I want too!" :D

You are limited in where to put the battery. Handling is different especially at speed. With a mixte frame you still have a tube to grab during manœuvres in tight places.

Word of warning: single tube step through frames are heavier than mixte frames and much heavier than diamond frames.

Electric Transport Shop

Official Trade Member
Aug 7, 2010
buy what makes sense. Step through frames are being referred to as unisex these days.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I don't see them as a ladies bike, they are fine if you have a special need for one but not good for the rougher tracks and not great if you stand on the pedals a lot as no crossbar to keep the bike steady.
Dave.

• Informative

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
I know men who have the same doubts with salads - are salads considered "ladies food"?
Step -through bikes are good for leisurely rides, are comfortable, good for posture and great for snooping over fences.
The "issue" seems ingrained in UK male machismo. I'll bring up the subject for discussion at my next modern-men encounter discussion group session...

• :D

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
Quick question - are step through bikes generally viewed as a ladies bike? I hadn't considered one previously but given my back condition and the fact that the missus may occasionally want to use it then it's starting to make a bit of sense. Perhaps a compromise may be a bike with a cross bar albeit a low one - if anyone has any recommendations I'd be grateful
not if you're Dutch, and/or transporting an attractive lady on the rack, and/or smoking a spliff, and/or give it the fattest big apples you can fit, or do all of these simultaneously

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
Thinking of getting one myself. Having trouble getting my leg over (if you'll pardon the expression).

• Agree

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
not if you're Dutch, and/or transporting an attractive lady on the rack, and/or smoking a spliff, and/or give it the fattest big apples you can fit, or do all of these simultaneously
Or keeping up with the lycras downhill and passing them on the uphill... :D

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Step through bikes get bonus points for off roading as when you have a spill the bike will fall down and leave you standing as the frame doesn't knock your leg out from under you.
I have done this twice but I am silly enough to use a dutch city style bike with panniers on fire trails rated as difficult for MTB use.
The look on the MTB riders when they see my bike on the tracks is priceless :)

Reactions: LeighPing and D8ve

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
I was surprised at the overwhelming "go for it" advice for step through frames on this thread.

I thought there might be some adverse views.

I go wholeheartedly with the consensus on here though, my most used ebike has a very low step through frame and I could never go back to a crossbar.

When I was a lad I used to ride a heavy trade bike for a wine merchants shop, and I used to do amazingly energetic (and stupid) things, swinging my leg over the crossbar at speed before braking and dismounting etc..

Now I'm an overweight pensioner with back surgery and even had difficulty swinging my leg over a crossbar with the damn bike stationary and tilted over.

Thank God for modern step through and "unisex" frames....... :rolleyes:
alubike with q100h.jpg