Stock Controller, Stronger Motor

PauKacang256

Just Joined
Jul 19, 2020
Hi.
I'm new to this forum. Question I have is,
Can a 250W 13amp controller support a 500W motor hub?

Thanks in advance

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Yes, but you won't experience any more power. It would be a complete waste of time and money to replace your motor.

The power comes from the controller. The motor can't increase it. All it does is change the electrical power that the controller sends into motive power.

If you're not happy how your bike is, explain what you want to change and why, then we can tell you how to get what you want. Don't forget to tell us in detail what you already have.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
You'll get very limited power that way, and possibly overheat the controller if you use that power.

If it is a direct drive hub (a lot of higher power hubs are) it will be fairly inefficient whatever controller, and not good at hills, and particularly bad with that controller. If it is a geared hub it probably won't be that different from a 250w motor and you'll just about get away with it (but not get much power).

scott gaza

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2018
scone
sure at 36v 13amp could only provide 468 watts max. Good for the motor just keep an eye on the heat of the controller

PauKacang256

Just Joined
Jul 19, 2020
Thanks for the replies.
It was an impulse purchase for future upgrades. It seems that I've drawn flak from this.
I have already run the 500W motor with 250W 13amp controller.
It is working well on flats with noticeable +acceleration. Well explained by @vfr400
Minor improvement in mileage.
The flak is that as mentioned by @scottgaza, the controller overheat easily.
Motor faired worse than stock 250W even on short steep slope. Pointed by @sjpt.
I have a 24" wheel, 250W geared hub, 36V 10aH lipo battery but a single speed @ 44Tx18T.
Does the controller overheats easily on 500W motor
because it has to keep revving at 250W+ constantly?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Does the controller overheats easily on 500W motor
because it has to keep revving at 250W+ constantly?
It's complicated. the main characteristic that affects the controller is the motor's maximum speed in the air. A faster motor will draw maximum current for more of the time.

If you got one of those large 500w direct drive motors, they're very inefficient at low power or low speed.

PauKacang256

Just Joined
Jul 19, 2020
It's complicated. the main characteristic that affects the controller is the motor's maximum speed in the air. A faster motor will draw maximum current for more of the time.

If you got one of those large 500w direct drive motors, they're very inefficient at low power or low speed.
The stock lcd display is of similar programme as KTLCD3. Will lowering the max. current output reduce the overheating?
The only available 36V 500W controller in my local is of 18-25amps. Will my 10.4ah battery support this?

scott gaza

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2018
scone
Yes lowering the current would reduce overheating if any! and it depends on the battery cells used whether it can sustain a draw of 18-25amps. if you tell us what you have we would be able to advise you better. What are your goals? speed or direct power

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The stock lcd display is of similar programme as KTLCD3. Will lowering the max. current output reduce the overheating?
The only available 36V 500W controller in my local is of 18-25amps. Will my 10.4ah battery support this?
You haven't got enough current as it is, so turning it down will make it even worse. Your battery can probably handle 18 amps if it's healthy.

You still haven't told us what you're trying to achieve.