"stokemonkey" my Tongxin?

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Still thinking about the cabling ... The Street Machine has a detachable front end. This is great and means that I can route all the electrics through the frame ..

Electric_monday - a set on Flickr

Should be able to use a hole at the front for the light and crank sensor, a hole above the front wheel for all the handle bar cabling, a hole where the current rear light cable exits for motor, battery and rear light cabling .. and of course the controller ...

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
A bit late, I know, but I've got to ask: what does "to stokemonkey" mean? I've read this whole thread and am none the wiser.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Back to sorting out the hub. I pursued the idea of attaching an aluminium plate to the spoke holes. A company from the midlands sent me a sample of a cross section of Ali pipe having previously said that they did not have the dimensions I wanted. Low and behold the sample fit like glove! ... lol ... I then went about trying to find someone who could finish the piece for me and perhaps tap some holes. At this point I was still thinking it should be a collar with holes either end. I met Graham from a local engineering company and while I explained what I wanted he talked me into making it for me! ... So ,, well ,, I let him! ...
I pick up my "collar" today and here it i:
Here are the pics:
BANGLE_READY 111.jpg
BANGLE_READY 107.jpg
BANGLE_READY 106.jpg
BANGLE_READY 108.jpg
BANGLE_READY 109.jpg
BANGLE_READY 110.jpg

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
well I've had better days! ... Had to sort out a few issues with the HAC. The bolts holding the sprocket had those 5mm allen key heads and rendered 5mm of axel unusable! .. Went to alton tool and bolt and got some button heads but had to hack saw them to the length I wanted ... got back 3mm. Tim at another engineering place suggest that I could countersink the sprocket holes and win back some more.. Will do that if I need to .... My fork plate template is a bit springy so I decided to get some 3mm mild steel to make a better one. Decided to take the car to save time and got rear ended on the Sainsbury roundabout! ... ffs ... couldn't believe it ...I hardly ever drive and when I do .... anyway, kept my cool, got Dave from Kwik Fit to have a look and see if I could still drive it and he gave it a thwack with his crowbar and I managed to limp home.. not to be put off I then cycled to get my metal .. when I got back did all the insurance admin ... inbetween managed to work on my new fork plate but am now totally knackered ... hope to fire up the tonqxin tomorrow! ... all being well ..

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Having trouble getting the pedelec sensor to sense. On the Connondale the sensor cable was about 6 inches. On the Street Machine its nearly 6 foot! ... I've terminal blocked it. Can I connect the wires to each other such that the controller will think the pedals are rotating? ... going to phone around and see if anyone has a multimeter and knows how to use it! ... Any advice would be great as I would at least like to hear the motor spinning around today! ....

D

Deleted member 4366

Can I connect the wires to each other such that the controller will think the pedals are rotating? ... g.
No, unless you have something special. I'm assuming that you've got the disk with about 6 magnets in and a sensor that's fixed to a steel ring that fixes on the bottom bracket. There should be three wires: red, black and ano - normally green, yellow or white. The red and the black should have 5v between them. The signal wire has 0 or 5v depending on the position of the crank: As each magnet goes past the sensor it goes on and off, so the controller is looking for the pulses. It only works in one direction, so, if it doesn't work, try turning the magnet disk over and/or turning the pedals backwards.

Also, on the controller, next to the thick black and red power wires is a thin red, pink or orange wire that has to be connected to the battery voltage for the controller to work.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Thanks d8veh. I'm pretty sure I had it the wrong way round! ... and .. umm ,, I haven't installed the magnets! ...

I checked the electrics by using the crank on the old bike and the sensor and cables are fine! .. The motor was spinning! ... at last! .....

re: the magnets.. can I use any old magnets? i.,e bike computer magnets? fridge magnets? .. If I need to de-install them from this sprocket can you help me identify them!

MAGNETS 003.jpg
Thanks...

Last edited:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
re: the magnets.. can I use any old magnets? i.,e bike computer magnets? fridge magnets? .. If I need to de-install them from this sprocket can you help me identify them!

View attachment 2766
Thanks...
I have a nice fridge magnet you could get Alan.......it says '' EAT LESS......lose weight......DONT DRINK........Die anyway !''.........That could add a certain something special to your bike :) :)

Lynda

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
I have a nice fridge magnet you could get Alan.......it says '' EAT LESS......lose weight......DONT DRINK........Die anyway !''.........That could add a certain something special to your bike :) :)

Lynda
Talking of which .... when I was thinking about making an aluminium collar I had ANOTHER fantastic idea ... bike jewelry. This is jewelry for your bike not for you. I thought it was such a great idea that I contacted Jane Adam who makes jewelry out of aluminium for people. She was very supportive ... well, she bothered to reply to me! ...

Jane Adam - Jewellery

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
You certainly arent short of ideas Alan..... :)

I think thats a great one actually....jewellery for bikes.....hmmmmm.....any excuse to buy some more jewellery.....I am going to have a think on that one....could be a whole new sideline for me.........

I also love those lovely brightly coloured crocheted rear wheel skirt guard things.....if I could just remember where I saw them....but anyway I think I might knit one for my bike.....
Will post a link if/when I find them :)

Lynda

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
You certainly arent short of ideas Alan..... :)

I think thats a great one actually....jewellery for bikes.....hmmmmm.....any excuse to buy some more jewellery.....I am going to have a think on that one....could be a whole new sideline for me.........

I also love those lovely brightly coloured crocheted rear wheel skirt guard things.....if I could just remember where I saw them....but anyway I think I might knit one for my bike.....
Will post a link if/when I find them :)

Lynda
Yes. fatboytrig has got a skirt guard on his Tailwind ...I'd like to see something knitted for a bike. May encourage Louise to knit something .. although she has just started to make a rug for the front room which is going to take a while ..The first square of the rug is featured in one of the photos of my motor earlier in the thread. Did you spot it?

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
OMG......lying your motor on Louise's KNITTING .......her new knitting.......you really ARE bad Alan !

Tell Louise to get herself some 24mm knitting needles and multi strand yarn.....then she can knit a lovely thick rug in an evening.........I can sell her the kit :)

Or failing that, get the needles and cut up some sheets or blankets ...if she wants to give it a try tell her to p/m me and I can tell her how best to do it.

Lynda

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
OMG......lying your motor on Louise's KNITTING .......her new knitting.......you really ARE bad Alan !

Tell Louise to get herself some 24mm knitting needles and multi strand yarn.....then she can knit a lovely thick rug in an evening.........I can sell her the kit :)

Or failing that, get the needles and cut up some sheets or blankets ...if she wants to give it a try tell her to p/m me and I can tell her how best to do it.

Lynda
Thanks for the offer. I'll tell her when she gets off shift. All I know is that she is using a "log cabin" method which she read about in ... a mason and dixon knitting book ... she's selected the wool from her stash and its sitting in the corner of the front room thus:
STASH 005.jpg
sorry about being out of focus ...

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
No, unless you have something special. I'm assuming that you've got the disk with about 6 magnets in and a sensor that's fixed to a steel ring that fixes on the bottom bracket.
I looked at my other bike that does indeed have 6 magnets installed in the sprocket. Do these magnets have a thread? i.e Are they normally screwed in? ... On the bike I am converting there are only 2 magnets in the sprocket and even though they have a allen key head when I tried to remove one there was a "snap" and then nothing - just a lot of turning! ....

D

Deleted member 4366

I looked at my other bike that does indeed have 6 magnets installed in the sprocket. Do these magnets have a thread? i.e Are they normally screwed in? ... On the bike I am converting there are only 2 magnets in the sprocket and even though they have a allen key head when I tried to remove one there was a "snap" and then nothing - just a lot of turning! ....
We need a decent photo of what you've got - the sensor and the magnets. What you're saying doesn't make sense to me. The Chaimwheel that you showed didn't appear to have any magnets. Normally they'd be on the other side anyway.
This is what a normal pedal sensor looks like:
PAS--Pulse Padel Assistant Sensor - BMSBATTERY
The magnets are glued/cast into the plastic disc where you can see the 6 lumps. From the other side you'd see 6 shiny discs. You can buy magnets like that on Ebay and just use their magnetism to stick them to the chainwheel, but they need to be close enough to the sensor and the right way up.