"stokemonkey" my Tongxin?

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
These pics are of the Spirit that I rode in today:
DSC00681.jpg
DSC00682.jpg

Looks like Cytronex use the chainwheel mounting holes and implant the magnets. This one has 6. The bike that I am converting has similar implants but only has 2 magnets.

D

Deleted member 4366

Normally the chainwheel bolts are in two parts. One has a hex hole and the other a slot. You have to hold the back one (slotted) with a screwdriver while you turn the front with a hex key. It sound like you've loosened yours: Try holding the back still with some pliers while you unscrew the front if it doesn't have a slot.
CHAIN WHEEL RING BOLTS PURPLE MOUNTAIN BIKE TREK FISHER | eBay

Those ones in the photo are something special. I've never seen those before. It's possible that they've found a magnet that just fits in the hole or it might be glued in. Try tapping it out with a thin rod and a small hammer. Be careful because these magnets are not very strong. Once you've got the size, you should be able to buy some on Ebay for next to nothing
100 Disc Neodymium 3 mm X 1.5 mm Rare Earth N35 Magnets | eBay

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
and here they are:
MAGNETS 005.jpg

:)
I tapped them out as advised and then proceeded to nearly loose them twice! ... then when I realised what I was dealing with I went about handling a bit like I imagine nuclear engineers handle uranium.

So, just to confirm, my old CX700 only had 2 magnets in the chainwheel. I have now removed them and "installed" them in my new chainwheel and the sensor now works as expected! .... When I tried to remove these magnets initially there was a loud snap sound. So, I suspect they were glued ... So, can you recommend some glue so I can install then properly on my new bike? Can I use araldite do you think?

Note. I installed them such that they repel the magnet in the sensor.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Yes, you can glue them with Araldite or other epoxy. Before you glue them, check everything's working and then mark the front face of the magnet with Tipex or permanent marker so that you glue them in the right way round. I'm looking forward to the finished project.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Yes...me too! ...can't wait to start riding it ... thanks for the tip regarding marking the magnets. I was wondering how to reduce the risk of getting this wrong. ... there is also a high risk of me losing at least one of them for a third time! ... all being well I should be attaching the chain this weekend!

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Measured one just in case I have to order some more! ..
5mm diameter
5.2mm Long

borrowed some araldite from work must remember not to stick myself to anything!

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Ok. Decided to stop messing about with bits off the old rear deraillieur. Went to the lbs and bought this for a tenner:
DSC00685.jpg
Should work alot better!

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Just done nearly 6 miles around my town. Only issue was left pedal coming loose. Otherwise everything is working as expected. Its a little odd not being able to freewheel but for now I would say I'm good to go and will be starting to commute on Tuesday. I'll do a video tour of the bike as it is now so you can what I have done.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Well , today was my first attempt to commute. Some, may say, this was a bit optimistic and perhaps too ambitious. But, its done. I tried and there are alot of things to report but before I go into that I need to get this out of the way - an unplanned crash test! showing what happens when you have a front wheel blowout on a recumbent at 41.6 mph! ...

STREET_MACHINE/STOKE_MONKEY/CRASH TEST - YouTube

What possessed me to go this fast I have no idea. If I had been sensible I could have avoided this crash and I would have made it all the way to work. I would have been able to report a successful commute ... what was I thinking? ... not for the first time .. I wasn't ....

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
The main thing is that you are ok and have lived another day to commute in.

I am sure you will get there in the end.

Wow over 40 mph and there was my thinking going 17-18mph on my new project was scary :eek:

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Thanks Jerry. I'm fine and who knows I might learn from this latest episode. A tree had come down which obviously results in debris which I chose to ignore. I saw a gap and went from it and then got clobbered by the All Blacks back row! (I used to be a fly half ) ...
I am interesting to learn about your new project. One think I need to sort out is the gearing which is no good currently for getting up severe hills. Fortunately I fitted a twin chainring and am using the bigger ring currently. Would I be right in thinking that I will get better hill perfomance by switching to the smaller chain ring?

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi Looks a good conversion

see the crash video

I see you are wearing a proper crash helmet at 40 MPH It could have been very serious

Well done

Frank

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Damage Report. I am pleased to say that the Stoke Monkey metal work has stood up well. i.e the motor hasn't fallen off or become damaged. The brake sensor and the speed sensor were severed so I will need to sort that out before I can cycle home! ... the bike itself ... the main chainrings were knocked out of true and needed to be adjusted which I have done. The handlebars are out of true and possibly bent. Shouldn't stop me riding though. The handling will just be a bit ... odd ... and then theres the puncture to sort out. I did fix it after the accident and rode another mile or so until the front tyre deflated ... so, its likely that I have left something in the tyre ..

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Hi Looks a good conversion

see the crash video

I see you are wearing a proper crash helmet at 40 MPH It could have been very serious

Well done

Frank
Thanks Frank. Yes. I think the conversion is going to be a success. Once I'm up and running again I'll do a video tour to show what I have done.. I could use some advice regarding the gearing ... Also, the metal fork plates I am using might be a bit OTT! - not sure what the bike weighs but I'm guessing it 25kgs +

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
I don't think weight should be that much of an issue. You gain on being low to the ground and air resistance is a much greater force of drag when travelling quick.

Nice crash - Glad your alright and I hope you get it all fixed. I know you will you little grease monkey!

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
I don't think weight should be that much of an issue. You gain on being low to the ground and air resistance is a much greater force of drag when travelling quick.

Nice crash - Glad your alright and I hope you get it all fixed. I know you will you little grease monkey!
Thanks. Fixed the sensors. But the tyre is torn! .. quite how I missed that when I inspected it the first time I dont know! ... I've got some MPs on order so will wait for them. Left the bike on the floor of a friends garage who gave me a lift home in his car :( Sad end to an interesting day.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Regarding the performance of the Tongxin during today's ride. I used mainly high speed mode (the cytronex set up gives you high or low speed) .. and tried to keep high revs. However, I was unable to do this on the most severe hill and had to switch to low speed and 2nd gear in order to get up the hill! and that was with alot of puffin and blowin. On the less severe hills I managed ok but now and again my revs dropped and I could hear the Tongxin under stress. There was a repeditive clicking noise which would diminish once I had increased the revs again I hope this is to be expected! Bear in mind that this is the same Tongxin that fell off the roof of my car and has cycled across sandy beaches and probably could use a good service.