Stolen battery

Jasper13

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 21, 2009
Hmm - got up this morning to find the barrery from my Powabyke X6 had been nicked from my back garden - someone had lifted a fence panel and got in from next door! Nothing else missing - bike was locked.
First thing that strikes me - what an odd thing to nick! I know they come off quite easy, but it would have been dark I think when they took it.
Second thing - Bike had been well used for over 18 months and the battery was past its best, I used to worry about leaving it outside the pub - but I never expected to someone to nick it from home!
I wonder if it was targetted? I've not seen another bike locally, thou a local shop has started selling the X6. I'm gonna get paranoid now wondering who might have noticed where I park it.
Lucky for me I bought an IZip second hand recently, so I got to work OK.
J13

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sorry to hear of this theft, they are surprisingly rare as yet.

It certainly sounds like targeting by another Powabyke user, few other uses likely, though it's just possible some one could use it as an auxiliary battery on another make of e-bike.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
unfortunately every silver lining has a cloud of mercury - as ebikes become popular with a wider section of society the less honest realise the value of the expensive bits..

Powabyke x-series, Wispers, Ezees and newer Panasonic models aren't as "uncool" as other older e-bikes and will unfortunately attract the attention of bad folk.. I would suggest at least use the online crime reporting or crimestoppers. Although its unlikely to recover the battery it will at least make the cops more aware of this emerging crime.

Jasper13

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 21, 2009
Think the online reporting only works for the Met Police - but I will report it via the phone - I might even be able to claim on the house Insurance. I'm certainy not looking foward to paying £300 for a new one - I might get in touch with Mr Ping - I was never that happy with the position of the old battery, so If I end up with a new 'lump' on the backrack, so be it.

Morag

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2010
Shropshire
Sorry this had to happen to you hun. I'm glad you were still able to get to work okay.

Patrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2009
First thing that strikes me - what an odd thing to nick! I know they come off quite easy, but it would have been dark I think when they took it.
Maybe they didn't know what it was and took it in the hope it would be worth something.

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
My first ebike was an X6 Powabyke, even in my garage I'd remove the battery.
I had a removeable bag fixed to my handlears to transport the battery whenever I stoped anywhere.

I would never again have a bike that needs me to remove the battery....main reason I won't get a Cytronex.

...leave the bike unattended and the battery will get nicked....that's a given.

....Mike