Stolen - Kalkhoff Pro Connect Disc

Teejay

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2008
NW London
Stolen yesterday between 14:55 and 17:05 outside 56-72 Riding House Street, London W1, locked to a parking sign opposite the College of Naturopathic Medicine.

Large (55cm) frame, Colour havana brown (matt). 2011 model but only started riding it last week, had only done about 130 miles and was still finalising adjustments :(

Extra equipment: BoGeer YT-812 cycle computer, long thin mudflap attached to front mudguard, slightly tatty black canvas large capacity panniers, Air Zond, 16t rear sprocket, brass Schrader/Woods adaptor on front valve.

The front forks 'clonked ' slightly on compression and 50 Cycles were going to have a look at that on Friday...

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Stolen yesterday between 14:55 and 17:05 outside 56-72 Riding House Street, London W1, locked to a parking sign opposite the College of Naturopathic Medicine.

Large (55cm) frame, Colour havana brown (matt). 2011 model but only started riding it last week, had only done about 130 miles and was still finalising adjustments :(

Extra equipment: BoGeer YT-812 cycle computer, long thin mudflap attached to front mudguard, slightly tatty black canvas large capacity panniers, Air Zond, 16t rear sprocket, brass Schrader/Woods adaptor on front valve.

The front forks 'clonked ' slightly on compression and 50 Cycles were going to have a look at that on Friday...
What kind of lock did you have? Did they cut it or pick it? (just so as I can make sure not to use that kind)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My sympathies Teejay, I'm sorry to hear this. Please notify 50cycles of the loss since they do look out for anyone wishing to buy chargers and keys. In this respect they've previously said that they ask for proof of purchase before supplying.

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Please notify 50cycles of the loss since they do look out for anyone wishing to buy chargers and keys.
....and remember to keep an eye on Ebay.

Teejay

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2008
NW London
Thank you both, OxygenJames and Flecc. 50 Cycles (and the Police) are well aware; I did all that before posting on here!

The lock was an AXA frame lock with a 1.8 m long cable extension. It was the latter that was cut by bolt croppers by the look of it. They kindly left the remains.

Thank heavens I hadn't got round to selling my Agattu. Notably slower but at least I've still got transport.

Teejay

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2008
NW London
Thanks also to Mike 63 and smudger1956. Your posts arrived as I ws typing my previous reply.

Bike Shepherd looks brilliant, thanks for the suggestion. I've now registered my bike as stolen with them and thanks for the tip. It certainly would seem a good idea for all who have a valuable bike to register with them and now of course, wish I'd known about it sooner.

Have already cast an eye over E-Bay and Gumtree - nothing yet - and will continue to do so. My guess is that it'll have been broken up for spares by now - but you never know.

My question would be: if I do happen to spot one I think may be it, what do I do then?

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Thanks also to Mike 63 and smudger1956. Your posts arrived as I ws typing my previous reply.

Bike Shepherd looks brilliant, thanks for the suggestion. I've now registered my bike as stolen with them and thanks for the tip. It certainly would seem a good idea for all who have a valuable bike to register with them and now of course, wish I'd known about it sooner.

Have already cast an eye over E-Bay and Gumtree - nothing yet - and will continue to do so. My guess is that it'll have been broken up for spares by now - but you never know.

My question would be: if I do happen to spot one I think may be it, what do I do then?
Well if the guy (or gal) who returns to the bike is smaller than you then there's that option (ie wait till they unlock the bike then go claim possession) - if they're bigger than you take lots of pictures and follow them at a safe distance. Then call 999 when they park up at their house. :)

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Thank you both, OxygenJames and Flecc. 50 Cycles (and the Police) are well aware; I did all that before posting on here!

The lock was an AXA frame lock with a 1.8 m long cable extension. It was the latter that was cut by bolt croppers by the look of it. They kindly left the remains.

Thank heavens I hadn't got round to selling my Agattu. Notably slower but at least I've still got transport.
The lesson for all here I think is to dont rely on those extension cables as the main lock to the ground - you have to use a quality U-bar as the main lock to the ground - otherwise they can cut those extension cables and worry about any inter-bike lock you have later once they have it where they want it.

Teejay

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2008
NW London
Wow! I've got it back ;)

Just as Flecc said earlier in this thread, someone contacted 50 Cycles looking for a battery lock and a charger. They smelt a rat. What's more, he'd sent them a photo, which Tim Snaith, a Director of 50 Cycles fowarded to me - and by jove, it did look like my bike - a number of small details tallied . They hoped the chap would take it into their Hampton Wick shop but he didn't do that. Tim forwarded the chaps details to me and I in turn forwarded them to the Police.

The latter worked with astonishing efficiency and alacrity. I contacted them at 2pm yesterday; a DS at Charing-X contacted me 6-ish, asking me to forward the image Tim had sent me and my own images of the bike. That I did. They seemed to convince them it was worth investigating and at 10 I got a call saying they had the bike!

Today I went to pick it up. The battery lock is damaged, there a few accessories missing and a few scratches but beyond that, it seems relatively unharmed. It's certainly rideable.

I'm a lucky bunny. And all down to that 50 Cycles magic :eek: and remarkable efficiency by the Met, especially I think one DS at Charing-X, whose job seems to involve cycle theft and he seems to take it seriously

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Brilliant! I was confident 50cycles would come up trumps if contacted and sure enough they did.

Well done to both 50cycles and the Met Police officer for their prompt and effective actions.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Wow! I've got it back ;)

Just as Flecc said earlier in this thread, someone contacted 50 Cycles looking for a battery lock and a charger. They smelt a rat. What's more, he'd sent them a photo, which Tim Snaith, a Director of 50 Cycles fowarded to me - and by jove, it did look like my bike - a number of small details tallied . They hoped the chap would take it into their Hampton Wick shop but he didn't do that. Tim forwarded the chaps details to me and I in turn forwarded them to the Police.

The latter worked with astonishing efficiency and alacrity. I contacted them at 2pm yesterday; a DS at Charing-X contacted me 6-ish, asking me to forward the image Tim had sent me and my own images of the bike. That I did. They seemed to convince them it was worth investigating and at 10 I got a call saying they had the bike!

Today I went to pick it up. The battery lock is damaged, there a few accessories missing and a few scratches but beyond that, it seems relatively unharmed. It's certainly rideable.

I'm a lucky bunny. And all down to that 50 Cycles magic :eek: and remarkable efficiency by the Met, especially I think one DS at Charing-X, whose job seems to involve cycle theft and he seems to take it seriously
Excellent news!

Teejay

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2008
NW London
Spy bike gps tracker fits in the stem
Yes, saw that in these columns a couple of weeks ago. I'll certainly be looking at getting one once the finances allow - but first a hefty chain and a D-lock (and panniers), seeing as an extension cable wasn't up to it.

Thanks to all who've replied and/or sent likes, as well as to 50 Cycles and the Met. It's been a Red Letter day today all right :cool:

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Yes, saw that in these columns a couple of weeks ago. I'll certainly be looking at getting one once the finances allow - but first a hefty chain and a D-lock (and panniers), seeing as an extension cable wasn't up to it.

Thanks to all who've replied and/or sent likes, as well as to 50 Cycles and the Met. It's been a Red Letter day today all right :cool:
The main thing I would say is a quality D-lock and make sure you use it around the frame and whatever grounded metal you're locking it to. You were asking for trouble expecting an extension cable to do that job - they're only ever any good if you already have a D-lock in use. I guess we live and we learn.