stop close passing for about a tenner

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
@trevor brooker - must say I do like your indicators, very wise addtions - could you possibly upload a circuit diagram? I might be able to make room for yet another switch on my handlebar somehow.
Because I run power via a fuse from the battery I used lights etc that can cope.
I looked though Amazon, Ebay & Aliexpress - they have different colours. Also I remember getting some glass paint to go inside the lens to get the shade I wanted.

For the switches again I looked around until I found those I was happy with.
Then I just got a sheet of paper & a pencil & drew a wiring diagram with Red & Black to make sure I got a circuit. Power from battery to switch to lights then back again.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
Well I have used it about a half dozen times along the main road (A2) which has a 40mph limit & is very narrow (3.6m) in places - without any feedback from vehicles behind me (no beeping of horns or getting close to overtake), but I do always wave vehicles on to overtake as soon as it's clear.

Today I reduced the length to the width of the handlebars so that I can get it through doorways without having to unscrew it.

A couple of journeys later & it has the same effect, presumably because it looks the same length although a third is now hanging straight down.
View attachment handlebars small.jpg

Yes it is exactly the width of the handlebars but I was standing slightly offset when taking the photo.

Reactions: guerney

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
@trevor brooker - must say I do like your indicators, very wise addtions - could you possibly upload a circuit diagram? I might be able to make room for yet another switch on my handlebar somehow.
Likewise, in fact there have been a few rear lights over the years that had indicators on them.

But I wonder if the concept would be noticed by other road users. What I mean is it is normal for drivers etc to see a flashing light on the rear of a bike, and given wheel reflectors and pedal reflectors are orange, would it actually be noticed.
The age old stick an arm out to indicate and a check behind I feel would be far safer.

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
Likewise, in fact there have been a few rear lights over the years that had indicators on them.

But I wonder if the concept would be noticed by other road users. What I mean is it is normal for drivers etc to see a flashing light on the rear of a bike, and given wheel reflectors and pedal reflectors are orange, would it actually be noticed.
The age old stick an arm out to indicate and a check behind I feel would be far safer.
I agree I never use them during daylight, I find that a fluorescent covered arm straight out is more likely to be noticed that a small flashing light.
But at night my arm will not be visible so I will use the indicators.

Reactions: AndyBike

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I agree - it was easy to balance while doing so in the 80's with my racing bike, but I find it too hard on my 20" wheeler.

I think it's a matter of degree - my fsckoff bright red flashing rear light is also pretty visible during the day.

For roundabouts especially, two of the same as indicators perched on flip-out Oxford reflectors either side could work out well, if the arms were reinforced for the extra weight, or if I could find lighter lights of a similar brightness which could be made orange. The arms could fold with the bike. But this bike keeps increasing in size and gaining weight ... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Richtea70

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 8, 2013
Sad thing is, there’s quite a nice bike being hidden under all that eBay tat :(

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
Sad thing is, there’s quite a nice bike being hidden under all that eBay tat :(
Its my anti theft camouflage
When I used to commute & had to leave my cycle all day at the train station I was the only one not to have his bike either stolen or parts taken.
It pays to have it looking like rubbish, although mechanically everything is A1, but it just means a thief will leave it as it can't be sold.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Its my anti theft camouflage
When I used to commute & had to leave my cycle all day at the train station I was the only one not to have his bike either stolen or parts taken.
It pays to have it looking like rubbish, although mechanically everything is A1, but it just means a thief will leave it as it can't be sold.
The Dutch often do this sort of thing. Even after buying a brand new bike they'll hand brush paint it roughly, add worn out panniers etc to make it look not worth even riding, let alone stealing.