Stop hating ebikes

fmm1000

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2014
I did a new video.

Can an ebike climb a mountain without assistance. I did this video to prove to all ebike haters that ebikers also get a workout and that ebikers and racebikers can have fun together.
Many racebikers have posted negative comments on my video where i climbed Mont Ventoux FAST on my ebike.
Here is a link to that video.

In my new video I am trying to climb Monte Spluga or in German Splügen without assistance.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
After actually watching the film footage, (utterly drab and boring), I had a think about what I just watched. Try though I may, I fail to see the point of the exercise. Clearly, the guy doesn't need electrical assistance but if he wants to own and ride an EAPC, of course he's free to do so.

Any message,I'm afraid, is lost on me.

Tom

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I'm glad these videos have been put on here as I was thinking of getting a Go-Pro camera. Now I see how boring the results are I'll find something else to spend my money on.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i over take them race bikes on the flat ;)

Reactions: Richard T. Jensen
Good job fmm1000 ;) I couldn`t do that....:eek:

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
Fmm1000, Mange Tak.

I liked these videos. My biggest moan about Electric bikes is that manufacturers mostly aim their advertising at the aged and the infirm. I like to ride the mountains in Mallorca on my touring bikes, but also find Electric bikes great fun.

Your videos show that Electric bikes are for everyone and you can still exercise on an Electric bike.

Manufacturers should take note of this as they are missing out on a big chunk of the population.

What is the bike you are riding. I am looking for another one.

My biggest moan about Electric bikes is that manufacturers mostly aim their advertising at the aged and the infirm.
You raise an interesting point Steveindenmark.

We have a massive problem working out where to actually advertise eBikes, especially the more sporty ones. The potential customers are so wide ranging, its hard to do any targeted advertising at the brand level, because where do you do it?

At the moment the best form of promotion for eBikes tends to be made at the dealer level by active dealers taking bikes out for people to try, and also eBike customers themselves promoting the concept to others.

We're investing in a much larger demo fleet to support this for 2016 and an event trailer we can take to dealer events.

However we genuinely are struggling to find a successful way of advertising the eBike side of our brand, at a brand level.

dinger19

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2014
Kent
However we genuinely are struggling to find a successful way of advertising the eBike side of our brand, at a brand level.
Maybe more competative pricing for ebikes whether there Ktm,Haibike etc as there far to expensive more adverts everywhere showing different age groups.

Maybe more competative pricing for ebikes whether there Ktm,Haibike etc as there far to expensive more adverts everywhere showing different age groups.
Sorry, you've misunderstood me. We're not struggling to sell bikes, we sold out again this year. We want to support our dealers and do more advertising, but so far everything we've tried has been a total waste of money.

Regarding the price, I'm afraid KTM and I suspect Haibike will never make cheap bikes... there are certain price points that with the components we use you simply can't get below without compromise that many brands don't want to make. The premium brands do offer very competitive pricing and I would argue they are exceptional value, but yes at £1500.00+ to many, they can not be described as cheap.

Reactions: Izzyekerslike

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
That's my story too. Started with a kit in 2009 and been cycling to work daily ever since. Mine started when I saw a petrol kit on ebay which pricked my interest and of course realising I could never ride it was legally, I then landed on a page with electric motors and the rest is history.

This summer is the first time I have taken the motor off my Brompton and been riding under my own power for about 6 weeks now. I suspect the motor will go back on when the nights draw in and the wind blows :)

I have been encouraged to do this as my daughter who was previoulsy quite ill and relied on the electric bike, now rides to work with me unassisted on her new bike.

I had often get a lot of ribbing at work about my assisted Bromtpon usually until they take a ride at which point they exclaim this is brilliant!

Many of these same people buy new bikes or make fixies and ride them once or twice into work, before returning to their cars for the daily commute.

Jerry

Last edited:

dinger19

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2014
Kent
Maybe if the government did a scheme like they do for electric cars where they offer a subsidy/discount and if they did a 10% of that amount then that should or help to increase the publics interest in ebikes.

Reactions: Kudoscycles

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I discovered ebikes via the gadget show when they compared a Cyronics v a champion rider. That was what I thought I wanted but looking further into ebikes it took two years to get there.

Many people see mine and some will have a go. It may take time but the knowledge of the bikes is in their head and they may then go for one eventualy.

My teenage grandchildren love to ride with me more so on the electric. They don't think they are for the knackered, its for the hills.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Advertising e-bikes on disability forums may be a way forward for one section of the market.
For mountain bikes you need a dedicated event with press and maybe local tv coverage.
Not an easy feat but possible

Maybe if the government did a scheme like they do for electric cars where they offer a subsidy/discount and if they did a 10% of that amount then that should or help to increase the publics interest in ebikes.
You're focusing on the price being the main barrier to growth or eBikes... its not.

Price isn't really an issue, as there are bikes available at all price points. The issue we're having is how do you advertise the concept of eBikes on a national level? We're working on lots of ideas, including BBC radio, and a host of other things to get people talking about eBikes. Its just not like normal bikes, where you can do sponsorship, press advertising, go to events etc etc. Because you know your market... cyclists. With eBikes, its not so simple.

But we're looking to do lots of different things for 2016 to push eBikes and push people to our KTM dealers.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Get ebikes onto pop videos, shown regularly on TV and the like, young kids having fun with generate an interest.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Get ebikes onto pop videos, shown regularly on TV and the like, young kids having fun with generate an interest.
It may well generate an interest Croxden but young people, being as they are, will not be content with bikes which provide no power beyond the 15mph limit. It follows therefore that the juvenile hooligan element, rather like many forum members who should know better, will re-engineer their motorised bikes to produce ridiculous, illegal speeds.

Thefts of EAPCs are fairly rare at the present time but if juveniles should grasp the concept and the potential of EAPCs, lots more will be nicked and cannibalised for bits to be fitted to other bikes. Young people are excited by high speed, climbing, jumping off heights and lots of other thrill-satisfying pursuits, frequently illegal, not to mention the legal highs from substances.

God forfend that they get into the EAPC scene!

Tom

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Gosh, you're right Tom. Never thought of that.