Straps or bungee cords for securing cargo to bicycle trailer?

pajtaz

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2019
Netherlands
Hello,

I am about to purchase a Burley Flatbed bicycle trailer. I intend to order something for securing the cargo to the trailer when I order the trailer. I am familiar with bungee cords but have not used straps.

What is your experience with bungee cords vs straps for securing cargo to a trailer? Which one do you prefer and why?
What kind of bungee cords (size, thickness of cord) would you recommend?
What kind of straps do you recommend in terms of size, material type, and brands?

Seems Burley Flatbed has rails that are 5 cm thick (2 in) so it seems that regular bungee cord hooks cannot simply hook onto the rails but you would have to wrap them around then hook to the cord. Something to consider.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Straps are better as they have no elasticity, unlike bungee's.
I use simple cam buckle straps with my Carry Freedom flat bed, I use a removable large black container with lid or tie down taller or larger objects direct to the bed.
The CF has four drilled holes to loop a strap thru.
I use cheap 1" flat webbed cam buckle ones off ebay, more then adequate for the job of securing a 60 -75kg load.

Reactions: pajtaz

pajtaz

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2019
Netherlands
Thanks. I don’t know the terminology for straps. So cam buckle straps are this: Quick google search

I did some reading. These are polyester, this is the best suggested material. The ones in the link are 25 mm wide, that should be enough. I guess two straps of 2 meters each should be enough for the flatbed.

So polyester, 25 mm wide, 2 to 2.5 meters long, with a buckle at the end. I won’t be pulling more than 40 kg but some objects will be longer than the bed. I intend to strap to bed directly.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes those are the type I use, they come in varying lengths up to 5m.

Reactions: pajtaz

Related Articles

Advertisers