Help! Street Machine GT conversion

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I'm struggling here.
I want to get rid of the Dillinger kit on this bike but am struggling to find supplies.
So, here's what I'm looking for:
Rear wheel hub, cassette or free wheel, don't mind, currently has a 7 speed fitted. 26" wheel.
9 or 12 Fet controller (there's a lot of hills around here).
Hydraulic brake sensor.
Not fussy on display, I actually prefer leds.
Thumb throttle

I have two 36v batteries that I run in parrallel, would be nice to use those if poss. But the bike currently has a 48v Dillinger battery (condition unkown), slung under the frame..
Leisure and utility riding around West Wales, so lots of climbing, need a high torque motor . 15mph fine.

Most kits I've found are tied in with things I don't want/need, happy to to put components together if they can be found.

PSWPower are offering this:
Are they a reliable source these days? I notice they have an Amazon store, anybody tried it?
Whose buying parts these days, where are you going?
Thanks
Ben

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Have a look on topbikekit .com or their aliexp store.
201rpm will be a bit better then 261rpm for hills ,not forgetting if you do go 48v then both RPM's will 33% faster.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Good shout Neil, thanks.
Hard to tell from the photos but it looks like the motors are unlabelled. Is that right? 'Cos if so the 100H looks apealing.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Which part of Wales? Would a 350W hub motor be powerful enough for North Wales? There's no standing on pedals advantage of course while recumbed.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
If compatible, you should be able to manage most Welsh hills with a legal mid-drive, on the end?

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
It's west Wales that I've been cycling for years on a front hub with only a body weight shift to the front, on steep bits, and no standing.
Current kit is based on an Ezee. So it's this high torque that I would look to replicate. If I could find an unmarked Bafang BPM, that'd be nice.
Here's why I don't want a mid drive:
1 I need to keep 3 front rings.
2 Prefer the bullet proof reliability of hubs.
3 I want the cadence to be my cadence not that required by the motor.
4 Really not into faffing around with settings and programming, just want to ride the thing.
I've never had a motor bog down yet, though there has been the occaisional controller thermal cut out in hot weather. This is why I'd prefer a 9 or 12 fet controller.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Many moons ago I used to work for BT. I saw what 50v D.C. was capable of, although with potential of extremely high current.
It makes me a bit wary of 48v. Is it really OK - out in the wet (does happen even though I try to avoid it)?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The AKM128c is 500w , though mine isn't marked as such.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
3 I want the cadence to be my cadence not that required by the motor.
At low current PAS, my BBS01B's cadence preference isn't noticeable. It's a different story at level 9 and full 15A, but I'm lucky that my preferred cadence and the BBS01B's is compatible, or has become so.

4 Really not into faffing around with settings and programming, just want to ride the thing.
No sweat in that regard, compared to the TSDZ2.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Preferring to stay at 36v I'm looking at this
No torque figures are quoted so not sure how it compares.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Preferring to stay at 36v I'm looking at this
No torque figures are quoted so not sure how it compares.
AKM100 is too small and can't handle the current you need. Use an AKM 128 260 rpm if you want normal speed or 201 rpm if you're happy with around 12mph modal speed. Both versions would be OK at 22 amps. The label peals off, then you have a motor that looks like any 250w one. The freewheel version is good for 7 speed and can handle more power than the cassette version.

Personally, I'd bite the bullet and go up to 48v, which is significantly better than 36v for hill-climbing. If you get the 36v 201 rpm version of the AKM128, you would have the option to go up to 48v in the future, and if you get a KT 36v/48v controller, all you'd need to change would be the battery when your 36v ones expire.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
That's the info I need, thanks. I seemed to remember you praising the 128 in the past.
So we are looking at this one then:
They are recommending the T12H controller which, at 40A max, has my batteries quivering as I type. So would the T09S with it's 22A max be OK.
Good shout on 36 going to 48v. This allows me to use up both my Jimmy built batteries and up the torque as my aging legs fade.
Would this mean buying the 36v rated motor then overvolting it later so getting an rpm increase as well?

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
One thing I’ve noticed is that AKM motor doesn’t have any flats on the motor shaft. Which is probably ok if you want to run at 250 watts, but if you intend to booost the power then you won’t be able to use any torque washers or torque arms on it

B3FAE401-2255-4ECC-B3DF-348C6A3A439A.png

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
One thing I’ve noticed is that AKM motor doesn’t have any flats on the motor shaft. Which is probably ok if you want to run at 250 watts, but if you intend to booost the power then you won’t be able to use any torque washers or torque arms on it

View attachment 51238
That can't be right, can it? They're showing torque washers with the nut assembly. Aren't the diagonal lines on the shaft indicative of a flat?
I would think that a motor without flats is a spin out waiting to happen.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
Maybe it does. I’ve just had a look again and some of the photos indicate that it has flats, but they are low resolution. So it could be good to go.

The technical drawing doesn’t show the dimensions for the flats. It should say 12mm x 10 mm

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
Yeah, I think the cross hatching on the drawing indicates the flats.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
They have 12 x 10 the same as any other hub.
Not seen the AKM128 HCST before pretty power full beasty cassette motor and still geared.

36v/201rpm at 48v will be approx . 260 - 268rpm.
I haven't under volted a 48v hub but assume a 260rpm would be a mountain goat at 36v .

Last edited:

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I've put together a list of gear. This assumes that I'll start with existing 36v batteries and migrate to 48v when I've learned the handling of the 'bent'.
Therefore I've specced a 36v motor (which is quoted at 201rpm) which should take it to around 280rpm at 48v, when I'm ready for higher modal speed.
Motor AKM-128H 36v c/w built in speed sensor.
7 speed freewheel
Controller T09s 36/48v c/w recommended hydraulic brake sensor
Throttle TBK-130D c/w standard plug to match controller
Pas Recommended one is KT-D12L Not a big fan of two part magnet discs, I've had them slip in the past. If another with one part disc would be suitable , I'd go with that.
I'm aware the standard plugs are not waterproof but that's not insurmountable and they allow for easier testing should it be needed.
Have I missed anything?
I use Anderson power poles for battery connections and have my own splitter for dual battery use.

Oops ! forgot display.
I like this one for it's minimilism:

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I've put together a list of gear. This assumes that I'll start with existing 36v batteries and migrate to 48v when I've learned the handling of the 'bent'.
Therefore I've specced a 36v motor (which is quoted at 201rpm) which should take it to around 280rpm at 48v, when I'm ready for higher modal speed.
Motor AKM-128H 36v c/w built in speed sensor.
7 speed freewheel
Controller T09s 36/48v c/w recommended hydraulic brake sensor
Throttle TBK-130D c/w standard plug to match controller
Pas Recommended one is KT-D12L Not a big fan of two part magnet discs, I've had them slip in the past. If another with one part disc would be suitable , I'd go with that.
I'm aware the standard plugs are not waterproof but that's not insurmountable and they allow for easier testing should it be needed.
Have I missed anything?
I use Anderson power poles for battery connections and have my own splitter for dual battery use.

Oops ! forgot display.
I like this one for it's minimilism:
Use a 10 magnet standard PAS or 8 magnet if they don't have one - less head scratching.

LCD4 is very good, but the small buttons are not easy to work with thick winter gloves.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Nealh