Stromer ST3

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Still got your motorcycle licence? Crash helmet? Armoured clothing? Lotsa dosh?

Try one of these...

https://urbanebikes.com/products/st3?variant=12533780742167

Only £7,330!

Guardian review...

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/feb/24/stromer-st3-electric-bike-part-bicycle-part-rocket-booster
WOW!! Not for me personally, but I am sure that there will be a lot of people around where the saliva is now dripping off their (slack!) chins!!!
There was someone here recently who was looking for something similar, because he cannot pedal!!! This would be an (expensive) answer for his problems.....
Many thanks for sharing.
Andy

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
There was someone here recently who was looking for something similar, because he cannot pedal!!! This would be an (expensive) answer for his problems.....
How is the Stromer going to help people who don't want to pedal?

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
How is the Stromer going to help people who don't want to pedal?
It is allowed to do something that normal e-bikes are prohibited from doing!!
As its legally a Moped!! A so called "pedal start motorbike"!
Therefore it has pedals, for legal reasons and the starting of the old moped 2 stroke engines years ago, but can be driven like a motorbike!!
It was all explained in the original post if you had taken the time to read it.....carefully!!
The very first few lines of the OP should have made you aware of something quite different I feel:-
Try one of these...

I thought that was a great clue!! ;);););):):):):)o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
You could add insurance, road tax and a Registration number as well that are also neededl!!
Below is a picture of what a Moped looked like years ago, maybe they are not seen so often nowadays?
I hope that now it is fully clear!!
Andy
pedal-start-motorbike-iknowbadeaux.jpg

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
It is allowed to do something that normal e-bikes are prohibited from doing!!
As its legally a Moped!! A so called "pedal start motorbike"!
Therefore it has pedals, for legal reasons and the starting of the old moped 2 stroke engines years ago, but can be driven like a motorbike!!
It was all explained in the original post if you had taken the time to read it.....carefully!!
The very first few lines of the OP should have made you aware of something quite different I feel:-
Try one of these...

I thought that was a great clue!! ;);););):):):):)o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
You could add insurance, road tax and a Registration number as well that are also neededl!!
Below is a picture of what a Moped looked like years ago, maybe they are not seen so often nowadays?
I hope that now it is fully clear!!
Andy
View attachment 29225
As far as I can tell it doesn’t have a throttle like a moped
So if you don’t pedal it, it don’t go

Last edited:

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
It

As far as I can tell it doesn’t have a throttle like a moped
So if you don’t pedal it, it don’t go
The ones being shown are all unregistered, and therefore are either not being ridden legally, or are only up to 15.5 MPH versions in the UK, or the video was made elsewhere.
A Moped registration allows a hand throttle.
I am sure that one could be easily added I would imagine, as they are easily added to almost any e-bike, legally or not!!
My bike had one from new, but is taped over by me, and I could remove it completely, but its occasionally a really nice way to go!! Off road of course!! Or if you have injured, a foot or leg and need to get home...which is why I left it on!!
If you look at the picture, number 3, you will see "twist and go", guess what that is?
e-bike what-license-do-i-need-full_2048x2048.jpg
Happy now?
regards
Andy

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
There's no denying it's very slick looking and well designed with lots of tech, but I struggle a little with the power/weight ratio of this bike. At 29kg and 820 watts from a direct drive motor, I can't see it giving much of a grin factor or great hill climbing ability. As the L1E-B reg. allows for upto 4 Kw, why give it the same power output as some legal pedalecs? I don't get ito_O

Reactions: POLLY and Laser Man

ohwheely19

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 27, 2019
The ones being shown are all unregistered, and therefore are either not being ridden legally, or are only up to 15.5 MPH versions in the UK, or the video was made elsewhere.
A Moped registration allows a hand throttle.
I am sure that one could be easily added I would imagine, as they are easily added to almost any e-bike, legally or not!!
My bike had one from new, but is taped over by me, and I could remove it completely, but its occasionally a really nice way to go!! Off road of course!! Or if you have injured, a foot or leg and need to get home...which is why I left it on!!
If you look at the picture, number 3, you will see "twist and go", guess what that is?
Happy now?
regards
Andy
Andy - I think these are actually classed as "Speed Pedelecs" (number 2 in that linked image) - this is covered in the article.

They are classed as a moped legally (due to slightly odd UK laws) but require leg power only to move.

So a Stromer ST3 and a Super Soco TC might both be in the same legal class, but one is twist and go (super soco) and the Stromer would be ridden like any other electric bike, only requiring a helmet and a number plate stuck on the back.

Rather unhelpfully it looks like Stromer's promo materials just lack numberplates, though I guess this is due to legislation being different in each country.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Andy - I think these are actually classed as "Speed Pedelecs" (number 2 in that linked image) - this is covered in the article.

They are classed as a moped legally (due to slightly odd UK laws) but require leg power only to move.

So a Stromer ST3 and a Super Soco TC might both be in the same legal class,
A correction, the Stromer ST3 is NOT a speed pedelec, since it has an 820 watt power rating. The limit for the S-Class speed pedelecs where they are legal is 500 watts. Its legal class is as an L1e-B moped, requiring all the usual moped bureacracy with one of the following driving licence groups: P, AM, A1, A2, A or having passed the car driving test before 1st February 2001.

Stromer do make speed pedelecs, they are the ST1 and ST2 models.

The licencing chart from Urbanbikes.com that AndyMat posted above has a missing type, Low Powered Moped, L1e-A. These are as follows:

Bicycle based with up to 1000 watts rating.

15.5 mph maximum assist speed.

Full registration, number plate, insurance, m/c helmet.

Minimum group Q driving licence, pending which, a provisional licence and L plates.

Unsurprisingly with all that bureaucracy and a 15.5 mph limit, no-one makes them, but we could make our own.

ohwheely19

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 27, 2019
A correction, the Stromer ST3 is NOT a speed pedelec, since it has an 820 watt power rating. The limit for the S-Class speed pedelecs where they are legal is 500 watts. Its legal class is as an L1e-B moped, requiring all the usual moped bureacracy with one of the following driving licence groups: P, AM, A1, A2, A or having passed the car driving test before 1st February 2001.
Interesting.

Still, the ST3 has pedals and no twist and go function. The Stromer ST2 and ST2S both have 800W motors from the looks of it so similar status.

Do wish the UK law was a bit more up to date and clear in this regard and fostered innovation. So much city traffic could be replaced by electric assist motors in various forms.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Interesting.

Still, the ST3 has pedals and no twist and go function. The Stromer ST2 and ST2S both have 800W motors from the looks of it so similar status.

Do wish the UK law was a bit more up to date and clear in this regard and fostered innovation. So much city traffic could be replaced by electric assist motors in various forms.
The ST2 is definitely S-class so its motor is no more than 500 watts legal rating, but I don't know anything about the ST2S.

Our UK laws are very clear, but as you say somewhat restrictive. We are not alone in this, the throttle bans are from the EU for example, as are the L1e-A and B classes.

The big difference is that under EU law each country can determine usage. That's why over 14's in France can drive a 30 mph restricted car class with only a safety certificate but no driving licence, and any age child can ride pedelecs.

Trouble is we've used that freedom to be more restrictive, rather than less, so I don't see anything easing now we are going to be on our own outside the EU.

Reactions: ohwheely19