Super Soco TC Max Motorbike

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
I've been getting a bit sick of near misses and lack of speed on the roads so I've been watching to see see how the new speed pedelecs turned out in terms of price and legislation but its all been a bit of a let down on both fronts in the UK.

So, I bought myself a Super Soco TC Max which is actually cheaper than most speed pedelecs. It's been a revelation on the road. People give you way, way more respect and I can out accelerate all but the sportier cars (not motorbikes though!), with a top speed of about 50mph uphill into a headwind and about 60mph on the flat with a tailwind. I get about 55-65 miles on a single charge depending on the terrain. I didn't quite appreciate the hidden costs though - insurance, helmet, jacket, reinforced jeans, locks, CBT, etc. It soon adds up, but on the whole I'm glad with my decision.

It's definitely not the same feeling as being on the bicycle and I can't use bike lanes round here, but it makes way more sense to me than a speed pedelec. It's still nice getting back and plugging it in to charge overnight knowing it's only costing a few pennies though.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've been getting a bit sick of near misses and lack of speed on the roads so I've been watching to see see how the new speed pedelecs turned out in terms of price and legislation but its all been a bit of a let down on both fronts in the UK.

So, I bought myself a Super Soco TC Max which is actually cheaper than most speed pedelecs. It's been a revelation on the road. People give you way, way more respect and I can out accelerate all but the sportier cars (not motorbikes though!), with a top speed of about 50mph uphill into a headwind and about 60mph on the flat with a tailwind. I get about 55-65 miles on a single charge depending on the terrain. I didn't quite appreciate the hidden costs though - insurance, helmet, jacket, reinforced jeans, locks, CBT, etc. It soon adds up, but on the whole I'm glad with my decision.

It's definitely not the same feeling as being on the bicycle and I can't use bike lanes round here, but it makes way more sense to me than a speed pedelec. It's still nice getting back and plugging it in to charge overnight knowing it's only costing a few pennies though.
And I applaud your decision, using the right vehicle for the job you want to do in the way in the way you want to do it.

Clearly for many like you a speed pedelec isn't the right vehicle, and them only being permitted in four countries in the world means very restricted choice and high prices, not to mention haphazard legislation.

Reactions: ebiker99 and Caph

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
You have chosen the most affordable E Motorcycle with reasonable range and top speed . It will be interesting to learn how you get on with it . You could be the first to review it, as since a test in Motorcycle News in July no-one has sent in any impressions .

Reactions: flecc

ttxela

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
Cambridgeshire
Fantastic stuff, I've got the TS which I am currently riding as a moped on my old car licence entitlement. But I reckon CBT then a TC Max is on the cards. I used to love riding to work on my eBike but when I changed jobs earlier in the year I found the earlier starts and much less pleasant route meant despite good intentions I was jumping in the car most mornings instead.

Definitely very interested to hear more how you get on with it, my thread on my TS is here if you are interested;

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Fantastic stuff, I've got the TS which I am currently riding as a moped on my old car licence entitlement.
Hi, on the whole it's a great bike but I've found a couple of niggles. I'd be interested to know if you get the same?

The throttle is twitchy which means if you try and hold it at a certain position and go over any sort of bump you get a bit of acceleration because your hand moves slightly, then a bit of slowing down because your hand moves back to where it was. It all happens so fast that you end up with a slightly jerky ride. It isn't as bad as it sounds because it is only a slight jerkiness and if you hold the throttle open you don't get it at all, which is why I ride a lot in setting 1 with the throttle fully open travelling at 30mph.

The second is that when braking there is a slight judder almost like a slightly warped disc, but it actually comes from the motor. It's not too bad and you quickly get used to it. More of a slight annoyance really. Do you get that on the TC?

Other than that, it really does seem to be a bit of a bargain for the money you pay. I'll put a full review up after I've had it a bit longer. I've only done 700 miles so far.

It's a pity the UK government haven't handled the speed pedelec thing better. I really like the look of the Scoot moped cruiser which is being launched for public hire in LA at the minute. I was in Krakow recently and saw people cruising around the city centre on the CityCoco Harley style mopeds. They looked great fun, but having to pay out for insurance, MOT, registration, etc. in the UK really takes the fun out of them!

ttxela

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
Cambridgeshire
I'd agree with the jerky throttle, I think this is due to their being no resistance as you'd get with a cable throttle on a petrol engine. I've also found that you can't 'blip' the throttle (for want of a better word) in fact doing so will cut the power for a second or so, it's almost as if the controller can't cope with too many changes of throttle position in a short time.

I've not noticed any particular brake judder but they are noisy and squealy if you ride in the wet.

It's far from a sophisticated polished machine but if saving money is your aim I think it's a good choice if an electric bike is not practical.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
On a motorcycle the throttle cable is usually adjusted so it has about 5mm of slack to help avoid the problem you describe.
Yes but that is only at the start, it would have no effect on the constant throttle position that is the issue.

if you try and hold it at a certain position and go over any sort of bump you get a bit of acceleration because your hand moves slightly, then a bit of slowing down because your hand moves back to where it was.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Certainly riding the TS there are only limited circumstances where you need/want anything other than full throttle :D
I hope it's not a plastic throttle. I broke two when I was holding full throttle and hit a bump. The jerk broke the end-stop on one and the magnet fell out of the other, which stuck me at 50% throttle. It's worse on a bicycle because you pull on the bars as well when pedalling hard up hills.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
A French Site has a test on the Super Soco Max TC . motoservices.com

Last edited:

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
I've also found that you can't 'blip' the throttle (for want of a better word) in fact doing so will cut the power for a second or so, it's almost as if the controller can't cope with too many changes of throttle position in a short time.

I've not noticed any particular brake judder but they are noisy and squealy if you ride in the wet.
Fortunately, both these problems have been addressed on the TC Max. There has been no reports of the power cut out and I've never experienced it. Also the TC Max has Brembo brakes and they don't squeal in the wet.

They're about to release a TS-X model with a more powerful motor. No details yet.