Surly Long Haul Disk Trucker Recent conversion

Patrick10am

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 31, 2019
Hi everyone so pleased I found this forum. I have recently converted my Surly LHT using a Bafang 250w motor and 17 amp hour battery. Went out for a ride the other day I enjoyed very much. Completed 29 miles with only using only 25% of the battery. I only used it on hills and but certainly helped a lot on the steepest ones.

My question is. Now only have one chain ring on the front which is a 42T and 9 speed cassette on the back with the largest wheel having 32T I want to change to a 11 speed 46T Cassette to make things a little easier when not relying on the battery, should the battery get too low on longer rides. I would also need to change to flat bars to give more room and accommodate the shifter. Does anyone have any suggestions on a low budget setup that would do the job.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Reactions: Patrick10am

Patrick10am

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 31, 2019
If using a 46t cassette you will probably need a derailleur extender like a Wolf tooth road link or the copy version from SJS Cycles, your derailleur I doubt will be able to handle the extra tooth count without one added.

This cassette come with one.
Thanks very much , very helpful.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My 2 x10 gravel bike only had a 11-34 cassette and the gearing wasn't low enough so I added a 42t cassette, the derailleur didn't have the capacity to handle the 42t so it needed extending to allow good changing. I used a Wolf tooth copy and didn't need to do much except adjust the B/stop adjustment to close the gap between the jockey wheel/chain to the cassette cogs.

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Which derailleur was that? I am already pretty extreme - 48-36-26 and 11-40 but get away with it because I don't run big:big and little:little chainwheel/cassette combinations. I am looking for a better derailleur because the Alivio is pretty bad, RD-M592 SGS is on my short list.

OP: With a single 42 there shouldn't be any issues with any long SGS derailleur and you can find 9 speed 11-50 cassettes!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Tiagra RD4700 GS medium derailleur.