Suspension seatposts

C

Cyclezee

3 punctures is really bad luck Phil:(

It just goes to show you can have the best tyres and tubes, but if the rim tape is poor you will still get punctures.
eZee use high pressure PU rims tapes to avoid this.

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
Saddle Up!

I can second the Thudbuster recommendation - I've had one for years, first on my MTB and then moved to my Kalkhoff. It works extremely well, especially with the Brooks saddle, but costs of course. ... It's worth forking out a bit for a decent setup - preserve the family jewels ;)
I've only had my Wisper 905sel for 4 cycling days (... and loving it!) but the reference above to the Family Jewels Preservation Society (and the increasing sensitivity of the calluses in my nether region), prompted me to google the Brooks saddle that is obviously held in high esteem by Hugh. Going through the Brooks products I realised that I haven't a clue about choosing the correct saddle ... particularly over the internet. How does one go about the selection? I am not a head-down lycra-clad johnny, so have obviously discounted the 'pointy' saddles, but choosing from the remainder seems to be an impossible task. Anybody out there got a pearl of wisdom to guide me? :confused:

The Sun's out ... and so am I!

Don

Last edited:

ajb9

Pedelecer
Apr 12, 2012
newhaven east sussex
hi davanti,i have a wisper 706 and have just got a selle smp big bum sprung comfort saddle from amazon for £16.82 post free came within 2 days and is very comfy easy to fit , alan

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
hi davanti,i have a wisper 706 and have just got a selle smp big bum sprung comfort saddle from amazon for £16.82 post free came within 2 days and is very comfy easy to fit , alan
Hi Alan ... is the reference to 'big bum' in the title or your choice of words ? ;)

Anyway, thanks for that ... I'll look it up!

Don :cool:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
just did a search and came up with this thread. new bike needs a seat and suspension seat post. did not want to spend a fortune, but want something that works or else pointless fitting one.

Going to get the specialized expedition seat

but what suspension seat post....

my bike seat post seems to be oversized as its 35mm, and anything I have looked at on links has been smaller then this..can any one help please

edit: Just been reading some more old threads on this subject and maybe I should just try the seat first and see how that goes...... the thudbuster is £150 odd, I saw a review in MTB mag of another one that looked good, but when I looked that one was £250!

also saw some comments that they play havoc with your knees, but this might be just for serious off roading. Would still appreciate some recommendations though as want to get it sorted before our holiday...

Last edited:

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Hi Eddie,

biggest I can see is 31.6 mm on Wiggle - nothing anywhere near your 35 mm

Silly question - are you certain of the measurement - it's a helluva lot bigger than anything remotely standard.

Good hunting :D

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
How about a Brooks sprung saddle?
I've seen complaints that the rails are to short and it doesn't go back far but that might not matter for you.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Thanks chaps!

it looks bigger then 31.8 to me, def near 35mm. I think I will stick with plan A and new seat first.

edit: just saw jhruk's post and just tried my dahon folder seat post (Doh!) and it nearly fits but loose, so shims needed I guess...

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
just spotted something on German forum: "it is 34.9 mm ... like the Birdy"

chap also says the seat is a horror and I agree..... unacceptable at this price. Looks great! with all that hand stitching etc....But my ass still killing me from yesterday and was only out for about 40 minutes

he fitted thud buster with Dahon post and shims...Dont want to spend that much bike expensive enough already.

I guess this Dahon one (Thanks shruk) would not be worth fitting??

https://sslrelay.com/s75353868.oneandoneshop.co.uk/sess/utn155002c2c264fae/shopdata/index.shopscript

which leaves this

https://sslrelay.com/s75353868.oneandoneshop.co.uk/sess/utn155002c2c264fae/shopdata/index.shopscript

prefer something in between:confused:;)

Last edited:

jhruk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
If this was the German forum post you are referring to my reading of the translation is that he considered the Dahon thudbuster but actually modified the existing 35mm post and fitted a standard 27.2mm thudbuster inside it. If you did the mod you could presumably fit any 27.2mm seatpost, giving a much wider choice.

Unfortunately the links to the C H White site don’t seem to work any better for you than they did for me, but I’m guessing you’re referring to the £34.99 Biologic one and the rather expensive Thudbuster.

My Dahon came fitted with the cheaper one so I’ve not tried it without and can’t report on the difference it makes. My experience with similar ones on other bikes, at various prices, suggests they are better than nothing but the effects are quite subtle. The thudbuster works rather differently but I’ve never tried one, although there are many good reports.

I also changed to Big Apple tyres and they improved the ride if not inflated too hard.

I think I’d concentrate on fitting a saddle that suits you first. If you’ve got another bike with one you like why not change it over and try it on your new bike. Once I’ve found one I’m comfortable with I don’t seem to notice the ride nearly as much, on any bike.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Thanks!

Have spent a while ringing around without luck..Have reserved a specalized expedition seat and will pick it up in morning, so that should help.

Can get USE shim 31.6 = 34.9. But they dont do a 31.6 sus post!. Pity as their SX gets good reviews and about £65

called whites and they dont do shims that would make up the 33.9 = 34.9 difference between a Dahon post and mine. while a coke can would be OK for a fixed post, its a semi folder with 2 riders so will be getting removed and adjusted frequently...

Have emailed this firm in the states: NitroPro - Gas Suspension Seatposts

the search continues:p

Last edited:

jhruk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
This shim may work - might be worth phoning them, SJS are usually helpful.

If not I don’t see any reason you couldn’t use two shims. 34.9 to 31.6 and 31.6 to 27.2 or 34.9 to 30.9 and 30.9 to 27.2.

A bigger problem may be finding a post long enough. I think most of the USE ones are 300 - 400mm. Will that be enough for your height?

You may also find a thin seatpost sticking out of the thick seat tube looks rather odd. The German mod, retaining the larger seatpost, would be better aesthetically.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Thanks shruk you've been great

called USE and they suggested using 2 shims 27.2-30.9 and then 30.9-34.9 so I thought I was there, until you reminded me about measuring post length and mine is 500mm:rolleyes:

SJS shim looked like it might do the trick,but would it slide down in use I wonder...

USE wont do a special order. I also discovered the Scott have 34.9 seat posts along with birdy

Think I will give up gracefully, fit seat and let tyres down a bit!lol

Shame as I thought I was nearly there:p

Last edited: