Suzhou Bafang Motor compare to Tongxin Motor

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
The NuVinci continuously variable hub gear uses steel balls to transmit the drive via point contact and that works ok, again there's pressure involved to maintain contact.
I don't know if the Tongxin motor is the same, but the Nuvinci has a very clever traction fluid which is oil when free moving, but solidifies under pressure at the contact points of the balls. As such, the Nuvinci doesn't slip under high torque.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't know if the Tongxin motor is the same, but the Nuvinci has a very clever traction fluid which is oil when free moving, but solidifies under pressure at the contact points of the balls. As such, the Nuvinci doesn't slip under high torque.
No, the Tongxin doesn't use the traction fluid that the NuVinci uses, hence that startup slip under some circumstances.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
if the power is from their legs,surely this is a good thing,i for one, want assistance to my own power, mainly for steep hills.if a cyclist just wants power and speed, then a scooter or motorbike is a better way, of acheiving this.
My problem is that I don't want speed, just power for hill climbing. My legs are not very good these days and easily get worn out, so I need assistance all the time, not just on hills.