Suzhou Bafang QWSXB vs QWSXB2

caleb

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 15, 2009
Hi,

I see that Alien say they supply a Suzhou Bafang QWSXB with their 36v kits but a Suzhou Bafang QWSXB2 with their 24v kits. Does anyone know what the differences are between these two motors and what those differences would mean in everyday pedelec uses?

Many thanks,
Caleb

Paulius55

Jan 1, 2010
Rushden, Northants, NN10
Apart from the obvious voltage difference I don't know, however, after a lot of 24v/36v debate with myself I finally bought and fitted a 24v Alien kit to my bike and I do not regret the decision. The fitting is smaller, lighter and neater, in my view, and I find the assistance perfectly adequate. I never wanted the motor to dominate the bike, but was looking to "flatten" the hills, which it does admirably. I cannot see how 36v would be better for me.

caleb

Dec 15, 2009
Thanks for your experiences.

However, I like the battery carrying rack (saves buying a rack) on the 36v version.

I had also thought that the larger battery with 36v kit (both are 10 AH so the 36v should have 50% more energy than the 24v) could have a longer life if the 36v motor was used by the rider to give the same power as the 24v motor, all other things being equal.

Caleb

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Just a thought, is it width? Suzhou make 80 mm for folders and 100 mm for normal bikes, so perhaps the Alien 24 volt kit is for folders. That would make sense, the smaller battery, lower voltage commonly chosen for folding e-bikes.

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Just a thought, is it width? Suzhou make 80 mm for folders and 100 mm for normal bikes, so perhaps the Alien 24 volt kit is for folders. That would make sense, the smaller battery, lower voltage commonly chosen for folding e-bikes.
Or there's the QSWXK model which is lighter (-500g) and less intrusive on a folding bike thanks to the side-plate cable entry (it's 100mm wide though). It's used by the Brompton/Sparticle 24V conversion from the Electric Transport Shop, and coincidentally that's the unit I chose for my DIY Brompton 36V conversion. It's a tad less powerful in practice than the hollow-spindle models (apparently), but it looks like a more sophisticated unit (waterproof, more reliable ? .. not that the other models lack reliability anyway ;) ).

JEWEL——swxk series -Suzhou Bafang Electric Motor Science-Technology Co.,Ltd

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/4682-diy-stage-1-received-bafang-tongxin-kits-photos.html#post59185

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/4594-brompton-sparticle-latest-suzhou-bafang-motor-8-fun.html#post58241

caleb

Dec 15, 2009
Thanks for the thoughts. Alien don't seem to market the 24v version (with the QWSXB2) as in anyway more appropriate for any bike than than the 36v (QWSXB), except that the 24v battery pack is seatpost mounted and therefore can be used with a full suspension setup.

Perhaps I'll email Alien. It was just that i asked them a ton of questions a few weeks ago so thought I would try and give them a break.

Many thanks for your thoughts,
Caleb