Suzhou Bafangs wheel bearings

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
How often do these need servicing and how do I get to them, are they cup and cone like normal hub? If I don't maintain them then what will fail - just the bearings or the motor housing as well?
I'm thinking I'm going to regret not servicing these when I had the freewheel off a few weeks ago, especially as I don't have a removal tool for my current freewheel. :(

Any knowledge of these in today?

torrent99

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 14, 2008
Highgate, London
How often do these need servicing and how do I get to them, are they cup and cone like normal hub? If I don't maintain them then what will fail - just the bearings or the motor housing as well?
I'm thinking I'm going to regret not servicing these when I had the freewheel off a few weeks ago, especially as I don't have a removal tool for my current freewheel. :(

Any knowledge of these in today?
Eeek! Thanks for reminding me. Now I'll need to get a freewheel removing tool...

Anyway, perhaps Flecc's web pages on the Quando/Torq have some info as that's an SZ motor...

Yep here's something from "http://users.tinyworld.co.uk/flecc/motor.html#bookmark6"

"Those orbital gears act on the greased orbital ring gear seen in the back of the hub shell of the third photo. The steel housing for the ball race bearing is seen in the centre of the rear hub wall, and the right hand motor side plate has the same bearing."

Perhaps Flecc could flesh out the description for us here... can these bearings be serviced by us mortals? Do they need to be?

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
These are precision ballraces which need no servicing, so nothing to worry about. They are rather like these types, but not as open as the outer one here. The rotation speed in our wheels is only a fraction of what they are fit for:

Last edited:

torrent99

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 14, 2008
Highgate, London
These are precision ballraces which need no servicing, so nothing to worry about. They are rather like these types, but not as open as the outer one here. The rotation speed in our wheels is only a fraction of what they are fit for:

Cheers Flecc, that's good to know.... it's a case of No User Servicing Required! :D :D