Swedish newbie, first build

D

Deleted member 4366

That all looks good to me. I note they only run it with 17 amps. I run mine at 30, which must give about 50NM of torque. 260 rpm will give a no-load speed of 23 mph, or about 21 mph on the road.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
XOFO are a conservative lot. The controller is quoted 12A, 25A max. I wonder if they fit a high current BMS to their bottle battery in the kit. Space for the BMS is restricted by the diameter of the bottle.

Nusse

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 7, 2013
SWEDEN
I noted that maximum torque 31.06NM @ 170 RPM. Assuming bike + rider = 120kgs, 170RPM on 700C wheels = 6.35M/s (14.2mph), gradient: 6.8%. Are you happy with this performance?
Good question. I don't know... But Total weight will be ~100 kg and I will run it at 48V and the area here is very flat.

Nusse

Apr 7, 2013
SWEDEN
Found this at Endless-sphere.

Endless-sphere.com • View topic - Torque-Sensor Motor w/ Sine-Wave Controller Build

"I am disappointed with the XOFO torque-sensor motor. It appears to be well constructed except for the quality of the cable that goes through the axle. This week my second replacement motor failed at the top of a 300 foot hill climb. Checking with a multimeter I discovered that the Hall ground wire shorted with the phase wires. It seems that the plastic insulation on the wires is not durable enough to handle the heat generated by the modest amount of current that the controller puts out, around 14 amps max. In contrast the Heinzmann motor on my Europa withstands crazy amounts of heat generation during long hill climbs without failure."

Later:
"I have had problems with the Hall sensor wires shorting with the phase wires inside the motor on all 3 XOFO motors that I have tried. The vendor said that this problem has been fixed, but if you get one I would recommend checking the wiring inside."

Does the Bafang look the same inside?

D

Deleted member 4366

That's a completely different motor. It's the 250w one with internal torque sensor.

I asked for a 30 amp controller to go with my motor. Xofo seemed a bit nervous about it, and told me that a 22 amp one would be better, so that's what I accepted; however, I didn't use it. I hooked up a 30amp KU123 controller, and it worked very well at 64v - no melting wires!

Their bottle battery is for their 250w motors, not for this one.

Sorry, I forgot that you will run with 48v. The speeds will be exactly 20% higher than what I said before. That means 28 mph no load, and 25mph (40 km/h) on the road. If it's flat where you are, the 22 amp controller would be OK.

D

Deleted member 4366

201 rpm in a 26" wheel does 15 mph no-load. This is always my starting point, so your no-loadspeed will be:

15 x 260/210 x 48/40 x 28/ 26 =26.7 mph.

Nusse

Apr 7, 2013
SWEDEN
15 x 260/201 x 48/40 x 28/ 26=25 mph
If the cst 270 rpm gives 42 km/h with 12S (26") (your first post) the Xofo 260 should do about the same. I'm happy with 25(+) mph.

D

Deleted member 4366

First post was an estimate from experience and then calculation in my head for the different voltages. The one above should be accurate. I think you'll be happy.

D

Deleted member 4366

It's difficult to read that, but check and double check. I notice that it doesn't mention the essential wheel-speed sensor. You should ask them about whether it's included

Nusse

Apr 7, 2013
SWEDEN
Got an invoice, but I want 700c wheels (did look again and it says 28" under "model", so probably right) and half twist throttle (or?). Will try to change before I confirm the order. Should I add something?

d8veh: Did you read my old post before I deleted it? Will ask about the wheel-speed sensor also.

invoice.JPG

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

That looks OK now. Are you getting the bare motor, or built into a 700c rim? If a bare motor, 26" is OK.

D

Deleted member 4366

I just read it again. It says in column 1 that it's a 28" kit, but the motor is described as for 26", so that's OK, but I'd ask them to write 28" in the rim description further down - just to be clear.

D

Deleted member 4366

¨

"We have speed sensor inside the motor.

Colin
"
That should be OK then. There's a ninth wire (normally white) in the harness, that the controller/display can read directly. I didn't use it on mine because I used a different controller. I just looked at my stuff from them, and there's no separate speed sensor.

Arbol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2013
Found this at Endless-sphere.

Endless-sphere.com • View topic - Torque-Sensor Motor w/ Sine-Wave Controller Build

"I am disappointed with the XOFO torque-sensor motor. It appears to be well constructed except for the quality of the cable that goes through the axle. This week my second replacement motor failed at the top of a 300 foot hill climb. Checking with a multimeter I discovered that the Hall ground wire shorted with the phase wires. It seems that the plastic insulation on the wires is not durable enough to handle the heat generated by the modest amount of current that the controller puts out, around 14 amps max. In contrast the Heinzmann motor on my Europa withstands crazy amounts of heat generation during long hill climbs without failure."

Later:
"I have had problems with the Hall sensor wires shorting with the phase wires inside the motor on all 3 XOFO motors that I have tried. The vendor said that this problem has been fixed, but if you get one I would recommend checking the wiring inside."

Does the Bafang look the same inside?
Is it known if the problem in the xofo torque sensor motor is fixed by the vendor?

D

Deleted member 4366

I'd be surprised if it isn't, but don't get too hung up on torque sensors. They don't convert a hub-motor into a Bosch drive. It's the controller software that provides the nice power profiles in the European bikes. Just adding a torque sensor to a standard Chinese controller can make the bike worse.

Nusse

Apr 7, 2013
SWEDEN
Received two packages today. Everything looks good (I think...). I did expect a slightly wider rim (it's 622x16).
xofo_controller.jpgxofo_rim.jpgxofo_stuff.jpgxofo_wheel.jpg

Hmm, I don't think the wheel is laced the right way.:(

Last edited:

Nusse

Apr 7, 2013
SWEDEN
Connected everything today with 8S. The display show almost 36 km/h (700c, no load) --> ~53 km/h with 12S (33 mph)?!
crazy_spoke.jpgxofo_lcd.jpg