Swiss Ride +

skyloon

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 29, 2011
Well if you are like me, you are wondering if you buy an electric bike, how will it perform in the real world. How long really will that battery last, how much will i lose on hills? So i thought i would give an analysis of one of my first rides on my second hand 2 years old Trek 7.3 FX Ride +. I bought it on Ebay for just over £800, i was told it had only done just over 200 miles and it came with a brand new battery. It weighs 46 pounds with the Bionx system attached which is a bit more than i expected. However it really is well built and has good quality components. I didnt know what to expect with such a weighty bike and of course all the weight is at the rear. On the road i found that it rides very nicely and you wouldnt know it was so heavy as you pedal around even without the assist switched on.
Anyway i took it on hols to the lovely Bernese Oberland in switzerland and my ride starts from the Camping Jungfrau campsite in the beautiful village of Lauterbrunnen (elevation 2608 feet).DSC_4306.jpg

skyloon

Nov 29, 2011
DSC_4305.jpgI start off with a full battery and head off from the campsite into the village itself. The scenery is breathtaking.

skyloon

Nov 29, 2011
Lauterbrunnen village is a typical "chocolate box" sceneJurassic Coast0003.jpg
Looking back towards the campsite the view is very impressive.Jurassic Coast0004.jpg

skyloon

Nov 29, 2011
Lauterbrunnen station is very popular with tourists from all over the world and the trains run from here on rack systems up to the 11000 foot Jungfrau.Jurassic Coast0001.jpg
So, on with the ride and the next section is a long downhill for about 8 miles.
I will continue this a bit later.
Chris

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
OMG doesn`t that train look clean! No doubt you noticed the local sheep. A unique breed, the legs on the left are longer than those on the right. Lovely photographs.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That extreme cleanliness was the first thing I noticed Neptune, immaculate and very Swiss. It could almost be a new model train set.

skyloon

Nov 29, 2011
Right, after about 8 miles of downhill drag you get out of the valley leading to Lauterbrunnen and you reach Wilderswill. This is another tourist hotspot as you can catch another rack railway to the alpine garden at Schynigge Platte.

DSC_4307.jpg

Now the next section is on the flat and its about 2 miles to Interlaken (elev. 1864 feet) and then i plan to travel along Lake Brienz to the town of the same name. Looking across the lake in that direction i can see the route is fairly flat.

DSC_4311.jpg

So, on with the ride, the weather is beautiful, temperature in the low 70's F.
About half way around the lake i reach Oberreid.

DSC_4313.jpg

Looking at the console i have done 14.8 miles and because i have only been using the 2 lowest levels of assist, the battery is still nearly full. (to be continued)
Chris

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
That looks amazing ...fantastic pics...looking forward to the next instalment

Lynda :)

Tinker

Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2010
SA39
OMG doesn`t that train look clean! No doubt you noticed the local sheep. A unique breed, the legs on the left are longer than those on the right. Lovely photographs.
Their legs are a bit like mine!
Seriously though thank-you for the pics, much better than looking out the window at rainy bank-holiday wales :)

skyloon

Nov 29, 2011
At Oberreid there is a jetty for the lake's pleasure boats so i am happy to go down the steep hill to check it out knowing that the bike can take the strain on the way back up.

DSC_4312.jpg

There's nobody around to enjoy the awesome scenery so i have the place to myself.

DSC_4316.jpg

Looking back from where i came, there are some swimmers. Life is pretty sweet here.

DSC_4315.jpg

Next before i set off again, i check the map up on the wall and the route to Brienz.

DSC_4314.jpg

Right off i go again, treating myself to the max assist for the steep hill up to the main road.
Chris

skyloon

Nov 29, 2011
After leaving Oberreid its pretty flat with only gentle rises, i continue to use assist levels 1 and 2, taking my time to conserve my energy and battery power. Its not long before i reach Brienz and i can stop right next to the lake and look back.

DSC_4320.jpg

I check the console as this is the furthest point in the ride. Ive done 20.5 miles and the battery is still showing full.

DSC_4318.jpg

So after a short rest and attempt to take in the scenery its time to head back. I had to stop to take a pic of the boat stopping at Brienz. The train also pulls in, the platform looks right over the lake. No temptation at all to get on the train.

DSC_4322.jpg

I decide to try to push the bike a bit, so i put it in level 3 and try to maintain a constant 14-15 mph all the way back to Interlaken.

skyloon

Nov 29, 2011
The run back to Interlaken goes very well. I have lost a couple of blocks off the battery guage at 32.6 miles, but it was really quick about 40 mins for 10 or 11 miles.

DSC_4324.jpg

Back on the bike again and its a couple of miles on the flat to Wilderswill, then that 8 mile uphill drag. At Wilderswill i check the console again

DSC_4325.jpg

34.7 miles done and two thirds of my battery left, its time for assist levels 3 and 4 to cope with the hills.

Willin'

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2011
So that's what it looks like! I stayed there in that campsite for a night about 15 years ago while travelling back from Italy (drove over the aptly named Furka Pass) - never got to see a thing as it was thick fog the whole time I was there.

skyloon

Nov 29, 2011
On levels 3 and 4 going uphill is great. I stop again to take in the view of the Jungfrau range at the top end of the valley

DSC_4326.jpg

Pushing on, its not very long before i am nearing Lauterbrunnen. It gets a bit steeper as you approach the village. Using level 4 i catch up and pass 2 mountain bikers like they were standing still, they must have thought Frank Schleck was in town! Have to stop then at the local bike shop where they have a nice Haibike on display.

DSC_4327.jpg

Its priced at 4299 Swiss Francs which isnt that bad as far as i can tell. However the mountains here are much too extreme off road and i dont think the battery will get you very far in this area. Its on to the campsite then.

DSC_4328.jpg

DSC_4329.jpg

The total distance covered was 41.4 miles and i have about 30% of my battery left. I hope this post gives people who havent yet bought a pedelec an idea of how they can perform in the real world. If you are willing to put in limited effort yourself and manage your battery sensibly, you can go a long way. Sure i could have done this ride on my normal non electric bike, but i would have got back pretty exhausted and i would not have enjoyed it so much.
Chris