Switzerland gets in first with higher power

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Hi Dave,
Did you see my response? Are you in agreement with out views?
thanks
Mark
Mark,
I agree with all your responses,as always the devil is in the detail particularly the requirements associated with the high power classes,if it is intended for road use only then it may not be that popular in the UK.
Dave
Kudoscycles

Hero Eco

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2012
Gloucestershire
Mark,
I agree with all your responses,as always the devil is in the detail particularly the requirements associated with the high power classes,if it is intended for road use only then it may not be that popular in the UK.
Dave
Kudoscycles
Hi Dave

I think it would have to be road only, due to the additional speed it would be dangerous on a cycle path. In terms of popularity, time will tell. I'd certainly be a willing customer! 13 miles from work, too short for the van, sometimes can't be bothered on the bike and too short to don leathers for the motorbike, however a speed pedelec would be a great in-between vehicle :)

Thanks
Mark

yselmike

Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2011
purmerend
I ride a flyer the 40km round trip in the early afternoon and late evening mostly on cycle lanes, a couple of roads almost traffic free, its only the few kms in town when I really have to slow down and I do [the centre of Amsterdam especially
around central station has been a mess for ten years now] rant over.
going home at night I almost never see another bike once a month a scooter will pass me its great a few more kms per hour would go down great.
If I had to ride mainly in town what with the amount of scooters and idiots texting as they ride along oblivious to there surroundings and enourmous bak-fiets with massive wooden sheds full of kids riding two abreast the road works
the state of the road surface bloody tram tracks and the roads being full of bastards I would not allow high speed e-bikes,
and riding one only in town would do terrible things to my blood pressure road rage would be a daily event and it would
only be a matter of time before blood would be spilled.scooters are the work of the devil.
Oh well of to catch the bus my bike is at work as it rained like hell for ten hours yesterday and thats another thing......

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Mike. And they tell us cycling is so much better in The Netherlands!

n0ct0

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 17, 2012
North Yorks Moors(ish)
It will be opposed by government quangos until they can work out a way to tax it. If you stop using your car and get on an e-bike, you're not paying tax...

The 500 Watt 15 mph class makes a lot of sense and would cater for a wider market if adopted in the UK. I can't think of any valid reason why anyone would oppose it.

Hero Eco

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2012
Gloucestershire
It will be opposed by government quangos until they can work out a way to tax it. If you stop using your car and get on an e-bike, you're not paying tax...
Whilst typically this maybe true, the DFT at the moment seem more interested in making sure the right legislation is in place to support the emerging technologies. Hopefully we'll all be pleasantly surprised, but don't expect anything for 12-18 months!

yselmike

Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2011
purmerend
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/18/world/europe/in-denmark-pedaling-to-work-on-a-superhighway.html?hp

I can dream
The good thing about bike riding in the Netherlands is that mostly you are seperated from the traffic.
The scooters have changed the game, the ones with a blue registration plate are up to 49-50cc they are
suppousd to be limited to 25kph and can be ridden without a helmet but of course the limiter gets fixed
so they race around you just need a moped licence for them.
The ones with the yellow plates are anything above 50cc and some are powerfull beasts and they all use the bike lanes
its a total change of the game, there was talk in the council chamber of making scooters ride on the roads but it seems to have died a death and thats what would have happend to a lot of scooter riders if the were made to ride in the traffic.
I can dream

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
don't expect anything for 12-18 months!
This statement concerning e-bike legislation has been the standard DfT response for 9 years now!

Each time results become due there's an update in Europe giving the excuse for further putting off action pending the new change. I can already say what that next thing is likely to be, the European Parliament's recommendation to do away with power limits which may not have reached a resolution by then.

Hero Eco

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2012
Gloucestershire
This statement concerning e-bike legislation has been the standard DfT response for 9 years now!

Each time results become due there's an update in Europe giving the excuse for further putting off action pending the new change. I can already say what that next thing is likely to be, the European Parliament's recommendation to do away with power limits which may not have reached a resolution by then.
I know what you mean! But they are looking at the results of the BEBA survey at the moment and we are in discussions about the legislation now. The EU decision will have an affect on unregistered e-bikes, but for a new category this would be separate and more likely draw on whats happening in Switzerland with the S class. But we'll see...

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
well I hope you fiddled the numbers! if bankers get a way with it.... Why not!:p

Hero Eco

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2012
Gloucestershire
Tut, tut Eddie! The bankers are so obsessed with being clean they even launder money.
Our biggest challenge is the Bicycle Association, not the DFT!

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Tut, tut Eddie! The bankers are so obsessed with being clean they even launder money.
Looks like my daughter may be joining Barclay Capital as she is presently on an internship and loving it!

All those years reading her bed time stories..... Lenin, Karl Mark, Trotsky, Bakunin, all to no avail.......My heart is breaking....sob...sob.....

maybe shes right, if you cant beat em join em:p

Last edited:

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Looks like my daughter may be joining Barclay Capital as she is presently on an internship and loving it!

All those years reading her bed time stories..... Lenin, Karl Mark, Trotsky, Bakunin, all to no avail.......My heart is breaking....sob...sob.....

If she loves it good for her. Keep telling my eldest to do what he loves and makes him happy not what he thinks i want him to be ( international rugby star :) )

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

With any luck she'll keep you in Flyers and Rolls Royces in your old age Eddie.