Swytch battery DIY upgrade

Dav987

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 15, 2023
Hi All,

I have got the new swytch kit and with the Max battery, it is ok for my everyday commutes but it would be impossible engaging in longer rides (unless purchasing additional 3-4 battery packs!) I wonder if anyone tried to create a DIY battery for the swytch kit using the large battery packs available on the market and adapting the electric connectors to make them compatible with the swytch battery holder. It would be great to know which time of connectors are needed (photo of the battery attached)
Thank you in advance to anyway responding to this thread!

Attachments

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
The charger for the battery goes into the two central large pins on the connector.

Taking care not to short stuff, what voltage do you measure across those two pins ?

Dav987

Jun 15, 2023
The charger for the battery goes into the two central large pins on the connector.

Taking care not to short stuff, what voltage do you measure across those two pins ?
Hi, thank you for replying. Yes, they are. Also the charger has just those two connectors. I wonder if I don’t connect the other four, would the kit work anyway? what they could be? The battery is 36 volts

Dav987

Jun 15, 2023
Answer the question asked, what was the voltage measured ?
evidently, using a bit of logic, I do not have a tool to measure it ergo the question “what voltage do you measure across the two pins” cannot have any answer, reason why that was not the answer. On the battery is written 36 volts which I assume it is not enough information to take care not to short stuff considering your answer

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the batt fully charged will be 42v those othe pins are for data ie a hand shake system so you cant use 3rd party batts.

they all do it these days and a fkn pita

Dav987

Jun 15, 2023
the batt fully charged will be 42v those othe pins are for data ie a hand shake system so you cant use 3rd party batts.

they all do it these days and a fkn pita
thank you, this makes things quite clear now, unfortunately it makes sense they force us to avoid using competitors products. I guess I will have to abandon the idea of a diy battery as things may be a bit complicated

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
bosch go even further with can bus comms and if you dare tamper with the bms to do a recell it bricks the bms.

ppl have had the bosch batts and not used them for 2 years and the bms drains every cell to 0v

try scott as prob ur only hope.

Torque-E-Cycles
139 Bibbacombe Rd
Torquay
01803 325945

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
evidently, using a bit of logic, I do not have a tool to measure it ergo the question “what voltage do you measure across the two pins” cannot have any answer, reason why that was not the answer.
Then why not just say that you dont have the normal\standard tool to measure the voltage ?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Then why not just say that you dont have the normal\standard tool to measure the voltage ?
even if they did if its can bus there will be no output as will only turn on via the data link and then turn on.

ppl just dont realise how fkn dangers these things can be if you start ripping it apart and you dont have a clue what you are doing there not aaa batts.

i dont want no 60 mph 1200c fire ball sliding down anything that batt has 200 cells and trying to pull 150A non stop and it cuts out wonder why :rolleyes:

its ok tho with the cracks in the frame and at 75a what could go wrong :p

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
1. Making DIY battery while you can't measure a simple voltage is a bad idea.
2. High capacity, heavy battery on handlebar is another bad idea.

Best way to move forward is to buy a proper kit and don't look back IMHO.