Swytch conversion - anyone tried?

GASBAGSMike

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2017
Great Ayton
I have just recently found this forum again and read lots of comments - there is certainly lots of cyclist knowledge on this forum. I have a Koga bike with 14 hub gears and a belt drive, which I used in 2015 to cycle from Budapest to home - about 1450 miles. I now have painful knees (age 68) and am looking to buy an electric bike or to convert my bike. I have been doing quite a bit of research but need help on various issues so will start a few discussions - I hope that the forum does not mind.
Has anyone yet tried the Swytch conversion system sold by Pandabikes?
https://www.pandaebikes.com/shop/conversion-kits/road-legal/swytch-ebike-conversion-kit-bike/

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I have just recently found this forum again and read lots of comments - there is certainly lots of cyclist knowledge on this forum. I have a Koga bike with 14 hub gears and a belt drive, which I used in 2015 to cycle from Budapest to home - about 1450 miles. I now have painful knees (age 68) and am looking to buy an electric bike or to convert my bike. I have been doing quite a bit of research but need help on various issues so will start a few discussions - I hope that the forum does not mind.
Has anyone yet tried the Swytch conversion system sold by Pandabikes?
https://www.pandaebikes.com/shop/conversion-kits/road-legal/swytch-ebike-conversion-kit-bike/
£300 including battery sounds a fantastic deal. I don't think anyone on here has tried one but do a search for Panda and there's a few threads.
I wouldn't like to position the battery where it's shown but maybe okay for some folks or it could perhaps be re located.
Dave.

GASBAGSMike

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2017
Great Ayton
i don't think that £300 is the real price now. I have been trying to contact Pandabikes and had no reply. If I get one then I will post the reply.
I have often used a bar-bag then has been reasonably heavy so I don't think that I would find the location to be an issue.

CB68

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 4, 2018
UK
Looks interesting...and a very good price with the 50% discount currently offered!

D

Deleted member 4366

AFAIK, they don't sell them yet. Their adverts show the Xiongda YTW-06 motor kit that you can buy directly from Xiongda, but you have to lace the motor into your wheel.

It's very light, tiny, but very powerful for its size. It's a very good motor. Nobody has done enough miles on one yet to assess its long-term reliability, but Xiongda are excellent on after-sales support, so cost for anything that fails would be minimal, but you would still have the inconvenience of having to fix any faults. The motor has one slight draw-back, which is that it doesn't seem to free-wheel as well as some others. I can't say I noticed any difference when riding, but you can see it when you spin the wheel by hand. Maybe it will improve with miles. We need some more miles before we can say.

spinellino

Pedelecer
May 11, 2017
Italy
I bought one for my wife at the launch price (350€) and I'm expecting it for April. If everything works as advertised I expect it to be a great deal. Battery placement is not optimal, but it's perfect if you plan to use the bike both as an electric one and as a normal one.

About not getting answers: my understanding is that they are a very small business and they are currently working hard in order to deliver this new product so they are constantly late at answering questions. If you read through the comments on the indiegogo page you will find tons of answered questions reading all sort of things.

If I'm not mistaken you can order a "50 miles" kit for 400$ and you will get it around March/June.

CB68

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 4, 2018
UK
I've been in touch with Swytch via cerys@swytchbike.com, and they've been very quick to respond and very willing to help. Prices look good, with about a week to run on Indiegogo.

I know they're bit of an unknown quantity in terms of the package but someone else knows the make of motor and says it's pretty good.