Swytch GO - New conversion kit

patoleary

Just Joined
Jul 14, 2023
Just in case you weren't aware, on Friday Swytch started taking orders for their new, low cost deal. It's more like the original adapter than the Air one they started shipping last year.

It gets rid of the handlebar-mounted socket, and the battery pack is attached anywhere you like using velcro straps - handy for better balance, but not so easy to remove it to take indoors for security or charging - you have to undo 3 straps and disconnect one lead. The handlebar socket is replaced by a new cable into which is plugged the wheel cable, the pickup from the pedals etc. The new batteries are bigger - 20 MILEs and 40 miles. And heavier than the Air ones of course.

You need to add a small display if you want to see your remaining juice, and to change the level of assist.

They have sold out on December delivery, what's left is May 2024 for a cheap deal.

So what? The price! €299 for a full kit - wheel, battery, charger, sensor, cables! (€399 for the 40 mile one). €30 for the display. €15 I think for EU delivery. Prices said to include all import and VAT. You'l need to make a €150 deposit NOW.

If, like me, you have a Swytch already, the basic upgrade kit (battery, new cable) is €225 or (€299 for the 40 mile) though you'll need the €30 display if you like changing assist levels. It's not clear if there is some way to use the new battery as an extension of the original kit - though you'd be lugging around quite a bit of weight if you had both. In the demo they basically discard the old battery/controller/level assist changer, and the handlebar socket, and replace it with the new battery and the new multi-socket cable. There's a bracket that uses the water-bottle mounting bolts for €29

Kinda sickening for anybody who purchased last year.

As my battery is starting to show signs of reduced capacity, I'm tempted. On the other hand it should last at least another year and I might just bodge it and make my own version of the "new" Swytch, centrally mounted etc. And hope the price of batteries reduces further next year.

All this assumes Swytch stay in business and are not just making a last-gasp attempt to raise money!

(Sorry - the reason the pricing is in Euro etc is I'm in Ireland)

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I don't think there will be many potential customers on this forum. New budget kit is a step in right direction, but still overpriced for what it is and waiting time is ridiculous.

peterjd

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2019
Just in case you weren't aware, on Friday Swytch started taking orders for their new, low cost deal. It's more like the original adapter than the Air one they started shipping last year.

It gets rid of the handlebar-mounted socket, and the battery pack is attached anywhere you like using velcro straps - handy for better balance, but not so easy to remove it to take indoors for security or charging - you have to undo 3 straps and disconnect one lead. The handlebar socket is replaced by a new cable into which is plugged the wheel cable, the pickup from the pedals etc. The new batteries are bigger - 20 MILEs and 40 miles. And heavier than the Air ones of course.

You need to add a small display if you want to see your remaining juice, and to change the level of assist.

They have sold out on December delivery, what's left is May 2024 for a cheap deal.

So what? The price! €299 for a full kit - wheel, battery, charger, sensor, cables! (€399 for the 40 mile one). €30 for the display. €15 I think for EU delivery. Prices said to include all import and VAT. You'l need to make a €150 deposit NOW.

If, like me, you have a Swytch already, the basic upgrade kit (battery, new cable) is €225 or (€299 for the 40 mile) though you'll need the €30 display if you like changing assist levels. It's not clear if there is some way to use the new battery as an extension of the original kit - though you'd be lugging around quite a bit of weight if you had both. In the demo they basically discard the old battery/controller/level assist changer, and the handlebar socket, and replace it with the new battery and the new multi-socket cable. There's a bracket that uses the water-bottle mounting bolts for €29

Kinda sickening for anybody who purchased last year.

As my battery is starting to show signs of reduced capacity, I'm tempted. On the other hand it should last at least another year and I might just bodge it and make my own version of the "new" Swytch, centrally mounted etc. And hope the price of batteries reduces further next year.

All this assumes Swytch stay in business and are not just making a last-gasp attempt to raise money!

(Sorry - the reason the pricing is in Euro etc is I'm in Ireland)
Thank you - as a (well -modded) Swytch Mk 1 user I am always interested in Swytch developments. Presumably getting good prices from China, and ? using the sensors in the motor wheel instead of a cadence sensor. Peter

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Lengthy 1/2 hour interview on Radio 4 "Gap Finders" (right now, 5/10/23, started at 12 noon) with the chief Swytch nob ("Oliver"?) about his Swytch kits. Most of those 'phoning in seem to be complaints about pre-ordering and wait times.

If you missed it, it'll be on the BBC Sounds app.