Swytch Kit - no communication, nobody cares

Bolidecris

Just Joined
Mar 25, 2023
Bought the kit in September and the delivery should be, as per order detail, between January and February. I really cannot understand why we have to pay based on a delivery timeframe if Swytch can’t honour it? Yesterday I received only part of my order and, like many people in different fora, have the order marked as ‘done’ in the Swytch’s tracking system. Emailed them many times - no communication, nobody cares… HELP!!

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
'Done' means they've got your money.

Possibly in that you have been.

I nearly went this route myself, but this forum showed other kit possibilities, most of them more suitable, and unlike the swytch, without being a gimmick.

Richtea70

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 8, 2013
Swytch is an over priced, over hyped, basic ebike kit. My first ebike I bought in 2010 had better specs. Sorry to say it but almost any other kit would have been better than buying from these clowns.

And don’t get me started on that ridiculously annoying ‘This a swytch bike…’ ad !!

peterjd

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2019
I suspect it's the usual story with many startups - over ambition allied to effective (NB not necessarily 'good' advertising) for target audience. I am still using my modified Mk1 Swytch kit on my old touring bike for some trips eg quick local shopping etc trips and day rides using the car. With easy access to the controller and battery it was relatively simple to switch the battery to the rear pannier (giving options of varying battery capacity (hence weight and distribution). Front removable pack (controller + display + connector) is now just 980g so relatively easy to take off whilst in shops etc and handling much improved. With pack and battery removed it is fairly easy to load bike into back of car and to store in the garage with a cheap (up to 20kg) Lidl bike hoist.

I like my new Decathlon with torque sensing controller (about 23Kg total weight) but won't be disposing of the Swytch modified light weight tourer anytime soon. Peter

RichB

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2013
I suspect it's the usual story with many startups - over ambition allied to effective (NB not necessarily 'good' advertising) for target audience. I am still using my modified Mk1 Swytch kit on my old touring bike for some trips eg quick local shopping etc trips and day rides using the car. With easy access to the controller and battery it was relatively simple to switch the battery to the rear pannier (giving options of varying battery capacity (hence weight and distribution). Front removable pack (controller + display + connector) is now just 980g so relatively easy to take off whilst in shops etc and handling much improved. With pack and battery removed it is fairly easy to load bike into back of car and to store in the garage with a cheap (up to 20kg) Lidl bike hoist.

I like my new Decathlon with torque sensing controller (about 23Kg total weight) but won't be disposing of the Swytch modified light weight tourer anytime soon. Peter
Yes, it obviously works for your circumstances (light weight required) but its lightweight because the battery (and therefore range) is small. I don't like the way they've marketed it as a remarkable way to transform a 'normal' bike, it is just a hub kit with a small battery.
As far as I can see it the only thing they have 'invented' is the unique way the battery clips to the handle bars rather than a traditional bottle battery or rack mounted.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I suspect it's the usual story with many startups - over ambition allied to effective (NB not necessarily 'good' advertising) for target audience.
Swytch is hardly a startup any more, but they stick to the 50% off months preorder marketing model typical of kickstart projects. Seems to be a sensible kit for those who want that style of solution; only a little bit overpriced as long as you get the 50% off.

As you suggest, their marketing prowess is their strength. They've got enough reviews (many from fairly respectable sources) that their own web page is on the second screen in a Google search for 'Swytch'.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I am afraid there is little what we can do. I agree with others - Swytch is a poor value for money. If it is an option just return kit, get your money back and buy something cheaper and better.

There is a chance they ship battery and rest of kit separately, so you still might receive rest of your order.

Reactions: RichB

captainslt

Just Joined
Mar 31, 2023
Sorry, but please add me to the list of dissatisfied customers .
I ordered mine last summer and I’m still waiting. They have no contact telephone numbers, and don’t respond to any other form of communication. They want their money upfront and then just disappear leaving you with no way of communication. I would never buy from them again.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth

"Refunds and Cancellations
Our pre-order payment is a deposit to secure your kit at the 50% discount on RRP. Once paid and orders are locked, we will start manufacturing your order with estimated delivery times in 12 weeks (standard) from the order lock date. As per our Swytch promise, if you change your mind after placing a pre-order you can cancel and refund your order at any time before delivery.

Once the kit has been delivered, your order is completed. You can still return the product in new condition for a refund within 14 days after delivery. Once an order has left its regional warehouse, refunds are given excluding the delivery fee. Unless the kit is refunded due to faulty parts."

What is current RRP if you don't mind me asking?

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
They seem to be responding on Twitter, so maybe send them a tweet.

captainslt

Just Joined
Mar 31, 2023

"Refunds and Cancellations
Our pre-order payment is a deposit to secure your kit at the 50% discount on RRP. Once paid and orders are locked, we will start manufacturing your order with estimated delivery times in 12 weeks (standard) from the order lock date. As per our Swytch promise, if you change your mind after placing a pre-order you can cancel and refund your order at any time before delivery.

Once the kit has been delivered, your order is completed. You can still return the product in new condition for a refund within 14 days after delivery. Once an order has left its regional warehouse, refunds are given excluding the delivery fee. Unless the kit is refunded due to faulty parts."

What is current RRP if you don't mind me asking?
Many thanks for this, and I will give it another week to see if anything happens, then we’ll see if the refund system works. I very much appreciate your swift response.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
My advice is - try to get your money back and run as fast as you can. You can get much better value for money elsewhere and much faster.

Their estimated times are a joke - 10 weeks manufacturing plus 6 weeks shipping plus 2 weeks processing and probably another 24h for final delivery (max). And they even can exceed that. I would loose all enthusiasm for cycling if I had to wait that long.

• Agree
Reactions: PC2017 and AndyBike

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
They are probably monitoring this site as well as all of the others even though they don’t post.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Swytch are owned by the directors of Panda ebikes , I seem to remember contact with them was much the same.

chris667

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2009
I'm really delighted with Whoosh, btw. It was the fact that they posted here so much, and even gave advice on things that were nothing to do with them.

Still bought on a credit card! I wanted to do a chargeback in case they turned out to be charlatans.

Would that work for you? They are in breach of contract. Worth a call.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Charlatans, Woosh !!!
Go and wash you mouth out with soap that man :D.

Reactions: Bikes4two

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Charlatans, Woosh !!!
Business is business. Better to be safe than sorry. Swytch is a good example. Looks like they took the money and disappeared in thin air (at least according to some of their customers). Hard to blame people for being suspicious after experience like that.

chris667

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2009
Charlatans, Woosh !!!
Just to clear up any confusion, I am very happy with the service and quality of my Whoosh kit. Really top notch.

Saying that I hadn't met them IRL and if things go wrong with Internet purchases then paying with a credit card can protect you against some things.

Walk softly, and carry a big stick....

vincentvincent6767

Just Joined
May 26, 2023
I have a similar story as well. I requested a refund because my Swytch kit was not compatible with my bike. They refunded me, but I only received a portion of it. Then I followed up with their customer service, got a few replies, and then they stopped responding. It has been a week now. The customer service experience was not good so far.