Swytch Max kit change display for SW102

charge_moon_cruiser

Just Joined
Dec 2, 2023
Hi everyone,

I have a Swytch Max kit and wanted to upgrade the display, I purchased an SW102 display thinking the connectors would be the same but alas now both ends are female and a slightly different size.
Anyone know if there is an adaptor cable available or would I need to try and make one. I believe they are Julet connectors?

If anyone has been in this situation some advice would be great :)

Thanks in advance

Joe

Attachments

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi everyone,

I have a Swytch Max kit and wanted to upgrade the display, I purchased an SW102 display thinking the connectors would be the same but alas now both ends are female and a slightly different size.
Anyone know if there is an adaptor cable available or would I need to try and make one. I believe they are Julet connectors?

If anyone has been in this situation some advice would be great :)

Thanks in advance

Joe
Different LCDs have different software, different features and different comms. You can't just swap them around willy nilly. They need to be matched to the controller.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
+1 as said , it is a waste of money to willy nilly just buy stuff withut knowing the ins & outs. Should have asked first.
Some vendors of kits like to mess with connectors and put on the reverse of what is often available from a third party , that said if one hunts around an opposite M or F connector can be found .

If the swytch is a KT controller then one can use any lcd from the KT range , KT LCD4 is similar in footprint to SW102.

Reactions: charge_moon_cruiser

charge_moon_cruiser

Just Joined
Dec 2, 2023
Thanks - I should have checked more throughly but the SW102 looked identical to the one Swytch sell but you cant order from their website very easily.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thanks - I should have checked more throughly but the SW102 looked identical to the one Swytch sell but you cant order from their website very easily.
If you're replacing like for like, there's a good chance it might work. Cut off both connectors and join the wires colour to colour. Make sure that the battery is disconnected before you start, then short the unconnected red and black wires on the controller side to discharge the controller's capacitor/s.

Reactions: charge_moon_cruiser

Cisco-man

Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2023
I’m kind of in the same situation. The Swytch Max uses a Lishui controller (as do their other kits). I bought a C500 display off of ebay for £20 that has a Lishui-compatable version. like you, I fell foul of it having the wrong plug. I will change the connector but I want to do some tests first. Two of the five wires (probably red and black) are the display power. Another wire is taken high when you press the display power-on button. These three wires should be easy to identify. The remaining two are UART in and UART out, so probably not going to be damaged if you initially get them the wrong way round. Either way, I’m not sure yet whether the display unit holds some of the settings for the bike that an alien display might mess up. I would imagine that all settings are held in the controller, but not sure yet.
I started this knowing that there was a very high chance that I wasted my money, but I love a technical challenge (retired systems engineer). Chances of not screwing something up = 50%. Chances of a working successful new display = 20%! Advice to everyone - don’t try using a display not intended for your setup, it ain’t worth the risk!

mta102

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 27, 2023
I’m kind of in the same situation. The Swytch Max uses a Lishui controller (as do their other kits). I bought a C500 display off of ebay for £20 that has a Lishui-compatable version. like you, I fell foul of it having the wrong plug. I will change the connector but I want to do some tests first. Two of the five wires (probably red and black) are the display power. Another wire is taken high when you press the display power-on button. These three wires should be easy to identify. The remaining two are UART in and UART out, so probably not going to be damaged if you initially get them the wrong way round. Either way, I’m not sure yet whether the display unit holds some of the settings for the bike that an alien display might mess up. I would imagine that all settings are held in the controller, but not sure yet.
I started this knowing that there was a very high chance that I wasted my money, but I love a technical challenge (retired systems engineer). Chances of not screwing something up = 50%. Chances of a working successful new display = 20%! Advice to everyone - don’t try using a display not intended for your setup, it ain’t worth the risk!
Do let us know if you succeed :) we are all waiting with abated breath.

nickimpey

Mar 6, 2024
Hello,
I have a 2017 model Analog motion AMX Step classic (original) and need to replace the display. Given the company has ceased trading, I have researched the sisplay is SW102/2 with a 2 pin plug. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement with a 2 pin, not 5? All insights very welcome!

Cisco-man

Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2023
First step would be to identify the make of the controller. The controller and display are matched - the vendors use different communication protocols.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hello,
I have a 2017 model Analog motion AMX Step classic (original) and need to replace the display. Given the company has ceased trading, I have researched the sisplay is SW102/2 with a 2 pin plug. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement with a 2 pin, not 5? All insights very welcome!
How have you determined that it's a SW102/2? Are you sure it only has two pins in the connector?

nickimpey

Mar 6, 2024
Hello, its a Star Union Wuxing display. Upon closer inspection, the cable from the display is a 5 pin male connector, not a 2 pin. The cable from the battery is a 5 pin female.. Pic attached.

Attachments

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hello, its a Star Union Wuxing display. Upon closer inspection, the cable from the display is a 5 pin male connector, not a 2 pin. The cable from the battery is a 5 pin female.. Pic attached.
You can buy them from Aliexpress, Ebay or online Chinese resellers. Do a Google search.

Reactions: nickimpey

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
  • Agree
Reactions: nickimpey and Nealh