Swytch PAS fitting

Mahinda

Just Joined
Jun 11, 2019
Hi,

Having learnt a lot from this forum, I thought I should give a little back. I've recently finished fitting a "25-mile" Swytch conversion kit to my girlfriend's new bike, a Ryedale Harlow -- she saved a fair chunk of cash by getting a discontinued model. She wanted a girly bike that wasn't too heavy and had a decent range of gears. And a basket.

With only a single chainring, the Harlow doesn't have much clearance between crank and bottom bracket. On the non-drive (left) side, it was just under 4mm. The PAS disc that comes with the Swytch is 4.5mm thick so that wasn't going to happen.

Having tried a few alternative solutions (see notes, below), I ended up shaving a few mm off the inside arms of the disc with a Dremel and Stanley knife -- in hindsight, just the knife would have worked better as the plastic's pretty soft.

This let us fit it nicely around the "ledge" on the inside of the crank arm (see first photo) without faffing around with cable ties, etc. It seems pretty secure, but I will keep an eye on it in case the shaved arms aren't strong enough, and add a bit of glue or Sugru if needed.

Notes:

1. The PAS disc would have fitted BEAUTIFULLY on the chainring side, with the bonus of the chainring for support and protection. Unfortunately, this would have required a right-handed version of the PAS sensor (KT-D12R rather than KT-D12L). These seem incredibly difficult to track down, even more so when you need Julet (or even Higo) a connector on the other end.

2. Further to note (1), "flipping the disc" doesn't work on this one. Only one direction of rotation works, regardless of the disc's orientation.

3. Also, the magnets have to pass fairly close to perpendicular to the sensor, so Woosh's mount solution on this thread wouldn't work. We couldn't "flip the sensor" as the bottom bracket gets in the way -- and you can't move that!

4. There is a setting, deep in the Swytch LCD settings, for PAS direction. Forward or back. I honestly thought I'd cracked it and would be able to use the L sensor on the right side. But no, that didn't seem to make any difference.

5. Swytch customer support, specifically Cerys and Harriet (I think) were incredibly helpful and responsive on live chat and then a phone call. They offered to send out a modified disc (free if we had bought the kit ourselves, but unfortunately £25 as we'd got it off eBay), but we declined when we found out that it'd just have the inside arms cut out. They also offered to send us (well, sell us) an alternative all-in-one KT-V12L sensor, as used on their Brompton kits, as it works with a narrower setup. As this would have meant removing the crank arm, we decided to try our solution first. Swytch don't have right-handed sensors.

6. It's not clear from the Swytch instructions which way round the disc should be mounted. The main instructions suggest the smooth side, marked "working surface", outwards, but the troubleshooting section has it the opposite way. The clincher was a picture I found on here of the same disc, posted by Woosh, with the smooth side out. I figured that he knows what he's doing so went with it.

7. On an unrelated note, also in the Swytch settings is the maximum assisted speed. It defaults to the UK (EU?) maximum of 25km/h but can be set up to 40km/h. Might give that a try some time. Off-road of course!

As an added bonus, the old model Harlow comes with a basket rack on the front fork. Unfortunately it came with a current model basket, which uses a much uglier strut support that clamps on to the stem. Thankfully I was able to butcher it and fit the basket to the rack...which means that she can have it on even with the Swytch pack on her handlebars.

We took the bike out for a test ride yesterday, after about three days of solid rain here in Manchester, and it was very nice indeed. Very smooth power delivery and very quiet motor. There is a marked gyroscopic effect, which I guess isn't helped by the battery pack in front of the handlebars, but I guess that's the way with all front hub motors. It wasn't helped by me really not being used to Dutch style handlebars, rather than my usual MTB straight bar or drop bars.

I hope that helps someone.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Look out for the disc slipping in the future. Those big magnet discs are the worst for slipping without thinning them down so that they have less purchase on the shaft. If the pedal assist goes intermittent, you'll now know why. Hopefully, it won't happen, but if it does, get the V12 sensor. Pulling the crank takes about 30 seconds and the tool is about £3 or less.

Whenever you fit a magnet disc type PAS, you should always check which way it operates before assembling to the bike. It's easier to flip the disc than reverse it in the settings. Some, like yours, only work on one side unless you have a controller that has a reverse setting like the Swytch one does.

Fred@home

Just Joined
Sep 1, 2020
Hi, Mahinda. I'd very much like to see some photos of the detail of how you fitted the Swytch and the basket. I've got a similar issue and am wondering whether to order a Swytch or not, an whether I'll have to sacrifice my basket if I do.

Mahinda

Just Joined
Jun 11, 2019
Hi, Mahinda. I'd very much like to see some photos of the detail of how you fitted the Swytch and the basket. I've got a similar issue and am wondering whether to order a Swytch or not, an whether I'll have to sacrifice my basket if I do.
Unfortunately, after all that effort, Helen finally decided that she needed something a little sportier (i.e. lighter and nimbler on bridleways, etc.)...and we didn't have room in our kitchen for another bike. So we moved the Swytch to a new steed and sold the girly bike last week. After a few long rides, she never actually used the basket+Swytch combination in anger.

We had a somewhat unique situation, in that Helen's bike was an old model Harlow (fitted with a front rack for the basket) but with the new model's basket (which comes with a fairly ugly clicky mount).

Here's the new style basket and mount:

fm_2018_06_08_12_29_02_15100_images.jpg

fm_2019_06_26_03_12_56_35196_images.jpg

I used a Dremel to grind off the mounting plate off from its arm. I was then able to affix it to the front rack with some bits of steel plate:

s-l1600 (1)_arrow.jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

The basket then clipped into its mounting plate and rested on the base of the rack. The Swytch battery pack, once mounted, slotted rather nicely into the top of the basket, leaving room for the obligatory baguette and bottle of wine! Unfortunately I don't have a photo of both together, but hopefully you can see what I mean.

In essence, I think you'll probably be alright if your basket mounts on a rack (or if you can fit such a rack), but not if you're stuck with a handlebar mount.

Good luck!

EDIT: I've found a couple of photos on WhatsApp showing how the basket looks with the Swytch. Note that the photo from the back doesn't include the mounting plate as I hadn't yet fitted it -- the basket's just resting loosely while I measured up.

WhatsApp Image 2019-06-03 at 4.54.21 PM.jpeg

1a384f22-f4d8-47b0-a324-dc14443f6af0.jpg

Last edited:

Mahinda

Just Joined
Jun 11, 2019
BTW, my pedal sensor with bodged disc worked perfectly for several hundred miles, even coping with some rather bumpy towpaths and bridleways.

Looking at the latest Swytch manual, they might have given up on the remove-the-crank type of PAS. Instead, they've introduced a thinner model plus versions that tie on to the crank arm:
SwytchDiscs.png

Manual can be downloaded here:

Fred@home

Just Joined
Sep 1, 2020
Thanks, Mahinda - I get it now.
I need to think about how to reconfigure my basket mount if I go the Swytch route.
Cheers.