Swytch Power Logic

Davy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 22, 2013
The available user support for the Swytch conversion kit lists the controls and their available settings but does not really explain the logic of the settings regarding delivered power. After an online conversation with Swytch it seems that the controls work as follows:
The Settings menu lists three setting which affect the power output:
Below is the max current matrix for the powerpack. Along the top is the Max Current Levels (Power Limit Setting) and their corresponding maximum current. Along the side is the PAS level (set using the up/down buttons when in operation).
In the middle is the max current once both are combined. Note that the factory default for ECO and PRO is both 10A, but that corresponds to level 5 in ECO and level 3 in PRO.
The following examples might be useful:
  • if a customer has set their PRO power pack to Level 5 max current in the settings and PAS to 2 then the maximum current for the system will be 50% of 12A which is 6A.
  • if a customer with an ECO power pack has
    • set their Power Limit to 1, then the amps supplied will vary between 2.1A and 5.8A depending upon PAS.
    • set their Power Limit to 5, then the amps supplied will vary between 3.5A and 9.6A depending upon PAS
The other factor is the cadence. when turning the pedals slowly the amount of current is lower, and when turning fast it will be at its maximum allowable for the settings it is set to.
I hope this helps ....

dwvl

Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2018
Essex, UK
The other factor is the cadence. when turning the pedals slowly the amount of current is lower, and when turning fast it will be at its maximum allowable for the settings it is set to.
Are you sure about this bit? Clearly, the cadence is always a multiple of the bike speed, which depends on the gear you're in.

Are you saying that at, say 10mph, the motor will provide less assistance if I'm in 6th gear, compared to me being in 3rd gear at 10mph?

Davy

Apr 22, 2013
Are you sure about this bit? Clearly, the cadence is always a multiple of the bike speed, which depends on the gear you're in.

Are you saying that at, say 10mph, the motor will provide less assistance if I'm in 6th gear, compared to me being in 3rd gear at 10mph?
Dwvl, the text comes straight from Swytch.
My understanding of cadence control is that the faster the crank is turning, the more power is applied.

dwvl

Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2018
Essex, UK
the text comes straight from Swytch.
My understanding of cadence control is that the faster the crank is turning, the more power is applied.
OK, interesting. Thanks. I haven't heard of a system that uses a PAS sensor for anything other than figuring out whether you are pedalling or not (yes / no).

ksg

Just Joined
Sep 4, 2021
Thanks @Davy, that was helpful as I'm looking to replace the lushun controller with a KT controller, add a small display and power my front and rear lights.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Thanks @Davy, that was helpful as I'm looking to replace the lushun controller with a KT controller, add a small display and power my front and rear lights.
Let us know how you get on with the controller as I have one of the Tour packs and I would like to swap out the controller.

Davy

Apr 22, 2013
Ksg, I would be very interested to know how you get on so dont forget to post!

ksg

Just Joined
Sep 4, 2021
Will do! Still in research mode and figuring out which controller with which connections will be ideal so as to modify the switch battery case/holder the least.

Once I lockdown the specific parts, then the long waiting game of shipping from china begins.