Tall man on a small bike

Sector

Pedelecer
Mar 5, 2007
Leicestershire Le8
The old 50cycles web page on the Ezee Chopper said that they were for people 5ft 6in or less.

50cycles Advanced Electric Bikes - eZee Chopper electric bicycle specification and reviews

I'm 6ft 1 in and feel fairly comfortable on the Chopper, although it has to be accepted that the geometry and short cranks are less than ideal for entusiastic pedalling.

Does anyone know the background to the 5ft 6in figure? I can't find it elsewhere on the web, and there are still several websites offering to sell the Chopper, even though it seems to have disappeared from the Ezee site.

A weight limit would make sense in terms of limiting stress in the frame, but surely a height limit is only a guideline for prospective buyers, and can be disregarded if preferred.

The overall visual effect to the bystander can't look too ridiculous because local youths on BMX bikes aren't slow to comment, and there has been nothing but praise.

There have been stories of Sprint frames cracking and failing. Are there any other big/heavy (I'm 84kg) Chopper riders out there, and particulary are there any horror stories I should hear about.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That was basically because the Sprint was too tall for many, so the Chopper was said to be suitable for the shorter riders though in fact it was ok for many more. Exactly the same happened to the Quando, the suspended I model being too tall, so the rigid II model was said to be for shorter riders though it was fine for most.

Many Sprint frames from a particular series were prone to breaking apart and a recall led to some 300 of them having the frames replaced. Most had the break at the main tube to headstock point, but one member unusually had the seat downtube snap in half. I only know of one Chopper affected so I think you can probably relax. You'd have less distance to fall anyway. :D

(Sorry, couldn't resist that. :D)