Tandem?

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Noted Rob,

The Bernds has some nice touches, but it's rather expensive and they are charging €1700 (£1408) for the Ansmann front motor kit which we sell for £800:eek:
John, what is the maximum wattage motor for legal use on a tandem? Do you sell them?

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
It's probable easier and cheaper to buy a tandem and convert it. You'd need a fairly strong motor like the Ezee kit, or the Bafang CST or BPM from various Chinese suppliers like BMSBattery.
Here's one that Catsnapper did. It looks like a BPM motor.
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/10348-fun-bikes-x2.html
d8veh, thanks I think it will come to that.

Catsnappers conversion looks brilliant. I'll show my better half the photos, sure she'd be over the moon with something similar. I have a decent 48v 15ah battery, just need rest of the kit.

C

Cyclezee

John, what is the maximum wattage motor for legal use on a tandem? Do you sell them?
Hi SRS,
The maximum nominal rating for tandem or standard bike is 250w and yes we do sell them.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I suggest the OP goes for a rear hub drive.

There's already plenty of stress on the front end of a tandem, particularly under braking.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Hey you have the same problem as I do.

What would be the smallest cargo bike to carry a passenger?

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Cyclezee, the bike is really nice. But definitely too big for me.

I live in the 8th floor, and need to bring my bike to home via a lift... EVERYDAY!

Here's my brompton on my lift:

twinkle

E-Triker
May 14, 2013
Peacehaven nr Brighton
This one will be with a 26" rear wheel and 21 gears I will be using a quad chain set on the stokers and using the little ring spaced out for the captain / stoker link , Cannot be accused of not being seen with this beauty as it will be 12ft 6ins long and 3ft wide

Like a very good price on a couple of set of batteries with charger .

still I have 2 more projects to finish before Spring , But I have the metal
only need to machine a couple of 48 spoke disc braked 20 mm hubs
the only problem with trikes is getting the right bits .

C

Cyclezee

This one will be with a 26" rear wheel and 21 gears I will be using a quad chain set on the stokers and using the little ring spaced out for the captain / stoker link , Cannot be accused of not being seen with this beauty as it will be 12ft 6ins long and 3ft wide

Like a very good price on a couple of set of batteries with charger .

still I have 2 more projects to finish before Spring , But I have the metal
only need to machine a couple of 48 spoke disc braked 20 mm hubs
the only problem with trikes is getting the right bits .
Send me a PM and I will see what I can do;)

twinkle

E-Triker
May 14, 2013
Peacehaven nr Brighton
Hi Rob
Looks similar , being home built they spring up in all different guises , Mine will be different as it will have a standard 26" rear wheel with an e-hub built in . This will be the fourth e-trike we have built but the first tandem , and similar to Peter Elands trike in so much as it will be straight boomed , just waiting for the cold months to pass before I start welding , I have 60% of the bits ready , As we have 2 high specification homebuilt e-trikes ,its not a priority , ready I hope about May 2014 . I have just reposted a sensible size photo of my current etrike , The leaner meaner blog from the old site and the Atomic Zombie Site , That has disc brakes front and Under seat steering and lots more little niceties , Specification withheld not to upset the pure in heart.shoreham beach2.jpg